• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Landon Collins " The Cowboys are not winning the division"

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I think Derek Carr may have been hailed a little too soon I think some of you are not looking at him objectively. Yes his career YPA is under 7, what do you expect from a 3 year QB who has started every game. Everyone does not come into the league with the supporting cast that Dak Prescott has. Last year he had an average YPA IMO but I also think that is one of the most overrated stats there is. 28 Td's to only 6 Ints and 64% completion percentage is more a telling scenario and indicitive what what the future could hold.

Yeah but those stats can be manipulated a lot more than yards per attempt. The 6 interceptions...Looks good until you realize he had 24 incterceptable passes on top of that that were dropped.

Also they have figured out there is a huge correlation between YPA and that of success by QB's. It is not a perfect stat but it is usually a pretty good one to show success or failure.

I would also add with his completion percentage his adjusted accuracy to include dropped balls and such is only 70.94%. This was good enough for 25th in the league. He also has a very high percentage of his throws that goes behind the LOS. Pretty much a majority of his throws are either behind the LOS or beyond 20 yards. His issues lie between those 2 points. He was 26th in completion percentage on throws 1-5 yards from the LOS. 32nd in the league in throws in the 6-10 range. 28th in the league on throws 11-15 and finally 26th in throws 16-20 yard range.

So pretty much Carr is having to still run what he did in college of either a screen pass or a fly route to make things work. His OL allows him the time to throw deep and have some hero ball throws. To be considered among the greats though he absolutely has to improve his ability to throw the mid-range pass. To me when I look at these stats I see a QB that has not actually improved a whole lot from college especially on his weaknesses. I see a QB that has vastly improved talent around him that helps him out to not be as exposed to his weaknesses.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs and Broncos fans not enamored with Raiders QB. Who a thunk it.:lol:

He is a good QB. I have no problem saying that. I just don't think he is on his way to being a top-5 guy in the league. I see a QB that has some major deficiencies that get covered up by talent around him. I see a QB that hasn't improved on areas that he struggled with as a rookie. Yet he just got paid the top dollar for his position. I also think the Raiders see some of this which is why he didn't get a whole lot of guaranteed money in the deal compared to other big contracts for QB's. Once his deal starts eating up a big chunk of the cap and they can't afford to buy the best pass blocking OL in football I think you will see his touchdowns drop and interception numbers rise quite a bit.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys and Giants battling for 2nd place...

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Live shot of the Giants O-line preparing for the season.

3.jpg

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a good QB. I have no problem saying that. I just don't think he is on his way to being a top-5 guy in the league. I see a QB that has some major deficiencies that get covered up by talent around him. I see a QB that hasn't improved on areas that he struggled with as a rookie. Yet he just got paid the top dollar for his position. I also think the Raiders see some of this which is why he didn't get a whole lot of guaranteed money in the deal compared to other big contracts for QB's. Once his deal starts eating up a big chunk of the cap and they can't afford to buy the best pass blocking OL in football I think you will see his touchdowns drop and interception numbers rise quite a bit.

Don't hear too many folks claiming he's a top 5 QB, just that he's a up and coming QB and with the talent around him could/should improve this year. I pretty sure teams needing a QB would be happy to obtain him if he was a free agent. Seems to be a likeable guy with some talent. Too early to really know how good ( or not) he's going to be, but looks more then decent right now and next to Rivers the best QB in the division easily.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't hear too many folks claiming he's a top 5 QB, just that he's a up and coming QB and with the talent around him could/should improve this year. I pretty sure teams needing a QB would be happy to obtain him if he was a free agent. Seems to be a likeable guy with some talent. Too early to really know how good ( or not) he's going to be, but looks more then decent right now and next to Rivers the best QB in the division easily.

Raider nation does not qualify as many folks, I agree.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some Raiders fans would easily tell you he is top-5 and on his way to top QB in the league. And I've seen others beyond the Raiders put him as say a top-7 QB in the league. I just think there are some major deficiencies to his game that are not talked about enough. People look at the raw stats and just stop there. To me there is more to the whole picture than that.

And believe me I want badly to hate Carr. I think he is a stand up guy though and would cheer for him if he was on any other team than the Raiders, Chiefs, or Chargers. I also though said his rookie year that he had some stats that should have Raiders fans worried about him becoming that true franchise QB that can win you championships and I still think today there are some stats that should make Raiders fans worry about the huge contract they just paid their QB.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This video is what I'm talking about as most of these are that 1-20 yard of the LOS type throws and just he really struggles with his fundamentals in his feet. He throws flat footed and it leads to inconsistent throws.

If that video doesn't work here is a great article talking about exactly what I mean...

Roster Construction, Derek Carr and Measuring the Value of a QB Contract

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sold on Prescott or the Cowboys. Think last year was a fluke.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but those stats can be manipulated a lot more than yards per attempt. The 6 interceptions...Looks good until you realize he had 24 incterceptable passes on top of that that were dropped.

This very same thing can be said for just about every other QB in the NFL.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This very same thing can be said for just about every other QB in the NFL.
Uh, ok. No it definitely is not. Some QB's can get away with sketchy mechanics (Carr being one of them; another being Rodgers) but it is definitely not something every QB can survive. Here are some not so good thing Carr does routinely.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying that Carr is a stud. I have actually gone on record as saying that may be given props too soon. However you are making the argument if I am assuming correctly that he is a bad QB and I just can't see that. The argument that he should have 20+ interceptions is a bad one. I remember a debate about the very same thing with Dak Prescott.....Cowboys fans went apeshit.

Derek Carr is not top 5. At least not IMO.....maybe not even top 10 but he is better that Dak which was my point.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying that Carr is a stud. I have actually gone on record as saying that may be given props too soon. However you are making the argument if I am assuming correctly that he is a bad QB and I just can't see that.
No. Even I would tell you Carr is better than many of the stats he has right now. For as bad as he can look, he also has some incredible highs. He's a good QB, but a top 10 QB he is not. He is not Brees, he is not Brady or Rodgers, etc.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying that Carr is a stud. I have actually gone on record as saying that may be given props too soon. However you are making the argument if I am assuming correctly that he is a bad QB and I just can't see that.

I don't think either of us are saying that. What we are saying is that this notion that he should be the highest paid QB or that he is a top-10 type guy is a bit overblown at this time. He has some serious weaknesses to his game that are covered up by teh talent around him. It showed up much more when he was a rookie and was being pressured that he struggled to do anything. His game right now is pretty much either a screen pass or throw it deep. He struggles with everything else. Now because of the OL and the threat of a good run game it makes things much easier for him to do those things. For me though for him to be considered in that top-10 he has to improve on his ability to throw 1-20 yards beyond the LOS. His terrible mechanics though make that difficult to see improving.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think either of us are saying that. What we are saying is that this notion that he should be the highest paid QB or that he is a top-10 type guy is a bit overblown at this time. He has some serious weaknesses to his game that are covered up by teh talent around him. It showed up much more when he was a rookie and was being pressured that he struggled to do anything. His game right now is pretty much either a screen pass or throw it deep. He struggles with everything else. Now because of the OL and the threat of a good run game it makes things much easier for him to do those things. For me though for him to be considered in that top-10 he has to improve on his ability to throw 1-20 yards beyond the LOS. His terrible mechanics though make that difficult to see improving.

I am in complete agreement with you on this. I think Carr is a very good QB with potential to be great. I think the same of Dak but need more than a rookie season to really be on board. He does not need to repeat last years performance but just needs to be consistently good.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of this we are both in complete agreement

I think what I am saying is coming across as hate for the kid because I am a Bronco fan. I think he is a good QB that I would love to have on the Broncos. Although with our terrible OL not sure his game would translate well to what our team will try to do in the passing game. Probably need a QB that can actually run to make things work this year.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe he said Dallas won't win the division. It's crazy that a Safety from the giants is saying the Eagles are gonna win it. Thanks for the support Landon!