• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Reconsidering Free Agency This Summer

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Windhorst they did. They already have Lopez and KCP on 1 year deals. IT and Frye are expiring deals and Clarkson was the contract they absolutely had to unload if they wanted 2 max slots.

In fact, if they can use that first round pick to move Deng, they'll have nearly 3 max spots.

Just watched his piece. A big move indeed.

I guess it will depend on whether PG and Lebron want to go there now.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched his piece. A big move indeed.

I guess it will depend on whether PG and Lebron want to go there now.

Agree. I like the flexibility and choices that it gets them.

Interestingly, re: Lebron, it increases the Lakers chances of getting him, but also increases the chances of the Cavs keeping him. That will be interesting when FA hits.

They now have the flexibility of possibly landing 2 guys this year, 1 guy this year and 1 in 2019 or 2 in 2019. Lots of ways this can go.

If they can unload Deng in the off-season, they have even more options.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I like the flexibility and choices that it gets them.

Interestingly, re: Lebron, it increases the Lakers chances of getting him, but also increases the chances of the Cavs keeping him. That will be interesting when FA hits.

They now have the flexibility of possibly landing 2 guys this year, 1 guy this year and 1 in 2019 or 2 in 2019. Lots of ways this can go.

If they can unload Deng in the off-season, they have even more options.

I was of the opinion that if the Cavs could get someone like Hill or Walker then Lebron would be more likely to stay another year in Cleveland.

How is this going to affect the Lakers for the rest of the season? Will the loss of Clarkson and Nance impact the team much?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was of the opinion that if the Cavs could get someone like Hill or Walker then Lebron would be more likely to stay another year in Cleveland.

This is definitely a big push by the Cavs to keep Lebron. It also gives them a chance to save face with their fans if Lebron leaves. Now, they can say..."Hey, we did everything we could and everything Lebron said he wanted." If the Cavs make the finals again, there will be a lot more pressure on Lebron to stay, imo.

How is this going to affect the Lakers for the rest of the season? Will the loss of Clarkson and Nance impact the team much?

That will be interesting. I want to say that IT will be on his best behavior because he knows he's playing for a max deal and that will help in the short term as far as winning games.

But then I'd have thought playing on a contender would do that too.

The Lakers are really young and from what I've read and heard, pretty close knit...so it definitely could have a negative affect for a little while. They're not used to this business part of the NBA.

On the other hand, there has been speculation around Clarkson, Randle and Nance all season and the Lakers made no secret of the fact that everyone except Lonzo, Ingram and Kuzma were available. So maybe this gets that out of the way so it's not something they have to worry about anymore?

I expect it will affect them for a few games and then they'll adjust.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect it will affect them for a few games and then they'll adjust.

Agreed. IT/Clarkson shouldn't be a big difference offensively (defensively is another matter). Moving Nance opens up more minutes for Kuzma and Randle. Frye will see spot duty to spread the floor.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see how a Harden, Paul, LJ team could possibly win championships. The could be a 60 win team. But in the playoffs, that team could really struggle against big interior teams. Assuming they would lose Capela.
How many good teams these days are big interior teams? Certainly not the Warriors

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many good teams these days are big interior teams? Certainly not the Warriors

The Warriors have 2 of the best perimeter shooters in the history of basketball. Maybe 3. You don't need a big inside presence when you have that.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question on the Rockets is how are they going to make the space to try to get Lebron? Especially, if no one will take Ryan Anderson

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors have 2 of the best perimeter shooters in the history of basketball. Maybe 3. You don't need a big inside presence when you have that.

Exactly, and most teams are trying to do the same model. I was rebutting your comment that LeBron, Paul, and Harden would have trouble with big inside teams. Do they even exist? Pelicans, Grizzlies? Who cares...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, and most teams are trying to do the same model. I was rebutting your comment that LeBron, Paul, and Harden would have trouble with big inside teams. Do they even exist? Pelicans, Grizzlies? Who cares...

Not sure what your point is here.

I'm not arguing that there are replicas of the 95 Rockets out there. My point is that having 3 guys that want the ball at the top of the key can be a problematic.

Of course they COULD be absolutely dominant. But they could be much less than the sum of their parts.