• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Reconsidering Free Agency This Summer

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Capela is a FA, they'd have to let him and Ariza walk, and that still doesn't add up to James' max contract. He's said he won't take a cut in pay. They'd have to let a few others go and that'd be a hell of a trio but dampen their depth quite a bit.
They don't have to let Capela walk.

Just complete all other transactions and exceed the cap for he and cp3.

But, his and Paul's caphold could be problematic.

You are spot on about the depth.

Ariza, Gordon or Tucker would have to go, along with Anderson.

However, Lakers* because you need two spots* Spurs would also have to savage their rosters to fit him under the cap as well.

So, he might see a depleted roster with Harden and Paul a little more attractive than a depleted roster with Lonzo, Ingram and Kuz.

76ers are the best team, with the easiest road to max cap space.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Lakers now a serious longshot and him not going to the Clippers......the Rockets have too much work to do.....I think the Sixers will be the team he goes to. Still in the EC and they have a lot of young talent.
Yeah, I'm starting to see that too.

I don't see LeBron opting in like Paul to get to the Rockets.

But, you never know.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But, you never know.

In theory: CP, Harden, and James would have enough star power to challenge the W's but I don't like what it would do to their depth. If one of those older guys got hurt bad, it would all go up in smoke.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But, you never know.

If Lebron would do a 2017 CP3, the Rockets are a logical destination.

But the best partner for CLE in that scenario could be Minny if they stop overrating Wiggins.

Get Wiggins and Ty Jones and call it a day.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it were 3 years ago, agree.

But, LeBron doesn't seem to be in the teaching phase of his career.

So, I don't see him going to a young team.

Again: I have been wrong before and said the same about him joining the Cavs again.

Let me preface this by saying that I have no idea what are the real priorities for Lebron. Those priorities will drive where Lebron will wind up.

But from a pure basketball perspective there aren't many teams that make more sense for Lebron than Philly. I'll list a few reasons...

• The team is young but already pretty good. Embiid and Simmons are already all-stars. RoCo is a great player to have. Saric is solid contributor, albeit an inconsistent one.
  • There are no prima donnas to deal with on the squad
  • He won't be a one man show on defense. Embiid and Simmons are already elite defenders.
  • A starting 5 of Embiid, Simmons, RoCo/Saric, Lebron, and some random 2 is going to get a LOT of rebounds. That is the sort of team that matches up with the Warriors the best.
  • The Sixers have the cap space to sign Lebron to a max deal.
  • Philly would absolutely embrace Lebron. Philly fans don't have the animosity that some other fan bases do towards Lebron
  • They are in the East.
  • The Sixers are already a playoff caliber team.

Having said all that, I'm sure you could make good arguments for several other teams. And if Lebron isn't dead set on a max contract, there are a number of teams that could come into play if that isn't a requirement. But if you look at all of the realistic teams that make a move for Lebron there aren't a lot of teams that make a more compelling argument.

Warriors - I think this is pure fiction.
Rockets - I have a really hard time envisioning this working but anything is possible. Not sure how they get all those guys under contract.
Spurs - My personal favorite of the perennial contenders. Cap space could be a concern.
Thunder - Anything is possible but I don't see it. Again, Russ and Lebron aren't great complementary players.
TWolves - This could definitely be a spot. Young team with all-stars on the squad already. Similar to the Sixers except in the West
Celtics - No way I see that happening
Raptors - A possibility team. But a system team like the Raptors could get all screwed up by the addition of Lebron. They'll still be very good but this is a team that is better than the sum of its parts. Break that chemistry and who knows?
Cavs - He could DEFINITELY wind up staying in Cleveland
Wizards - Not sure how they could possibly get him in under the cap.
Pistons - He could definitely work here. Not sure about their cap space after taking on Griffin's albatross contract
Bucks - Also a definite possibility. But again, similar to the Sixers. Slightly ahead in their development.
Heat - No way

Teams like the LA and NY teams could be destinations for non-basketball reasons but it is harder to argue that they make sense from a basketball perspective.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But, you never know.

I just don't see how a Harden, Paul, LJ team could possibly win championships. The could be a 60 win team. But in the playoffs, that team could really struggle against big interior teams. Assuming they would lose Capela.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't have to let Capela walk.

Just complete all other transactions and exceed the cap for he and cp3.

But, his and Paul's caphold could be problematic.

You are spot on about the depth.

Ariza, Gordon or Tucker would have to go, along with Anderson.

However, Lakers* because you need two spots* Spurs would also have to savage their rosters to fit him under the cap as well.

So, he might see a depleted roster with Harden and Paul a little more attractive than a depleted roster with Lonzo, Ingram and Kuz.

76ers are the best team, with the easiest road to max cap space.

Disagree with the bold. For the Lakers, it wouldn't be about savaging their roster. They wouldn't have to do anything other than what they already plan to do if they know they are getting Lebron and another max guy.

They've made it clear that Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma and maybe Hart or Nance are not going to be moved. They are willing to get rid of everyone else. That includes Hart and Nance (but they'd like to keep one or the other of them).

IF Lebron decides to come to the Lakers, it will be with one other max guy. The rest of the roster would be filled with solid vet types looking for a ring.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams like the LA and NY teams could be destinations for non-basketball reasons but it is harder to argue that they make sense from a basketball perspective.

The Lakers make sense for essentially the same reasons the Sixers do. The Lakers are an improving team with good young talent. If they were in the East, they'd likely be every bit as playoff worthy as the Sixers.

If Lebron chooses the Lakers, he's coming with another max guy and the Lakers fill out their bench solid vets looking to chase rings.

Also, from a basketball perspective, the Lakers system would be a great fit for Lebron. It's based on ball movement and the ball not sticking in one players hands for too long. It's basically set up to be exactly what Lebron has been claiming he wants since his 3rd season in Miami...a system where he doesn't have to do so much heavy lifting.

I do agree though that the Lakers have more work to do than Philly to create the space to get Lebron. They have to create enough to land Lebron plus another max guy. Philly may not have to add another max guy if Lebron is convinced that joining Embiid and Simmons is enough to get another ring.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me preface this by saying that I have no idea what are the real priorities for Lebron. Those priorities will drive where Lebron will wind up.

But from a pure basketball perspective there aren't many teams that make more sense for Lebron than Philly. I'll list a few reasons...

• The team is young but already pretty good. Embiid and Simmons are already all-stars. RoCo is a great player to have. Saric is solid contributor, albeit an inconsistent one.
  • There are no prima donnas to deal with on the squad
  • He won't be a one man show on defense. Embiid and Simmons are already elite defenders.
  • A starting 5 of Embiid, Simmons, RoCo/Saric, Lebron, and some random 2 is going to get a LOT of rebounds. That is the sort of team that matches up with the Warriors the best.
  • The Sixers have the cap space to sign Lebron to a max deal.
  • Philly would absolutely embrace Lebron. Philly fans don't have the animosity that some other fan bases do towards Lebron
  • They are in the East.
  • The Sixers are already a playoff caliber team.

Having said all that, I'm sure you could make good arguments for several other teams. And if Lebron isn't dead set on a max contract, there are a number of teams that could come into play if that isn't a requirement. But if you look at all of the realistic teams that make a move for Lebron there aren't a lot of teams that make a more compelling argument.

Warriors - I think this is pure fiction.
Rockets - I have a really hard time envisioning this working but anything is possible. Not sure how they get all those guys under contract.
Spurs - My personal favorite of the perennial contenders. Cap space could be a concern.
Thunder - Anything is possible but I don't see it. Again, Russ and Lebron aren't great complementary players.
TWolves - This could definitely be a spot. Young team with all-stars on the squad already. Similar to the Sixers except in the West
Celtics - No way I see that happening
Raptors - A possibility team. But a system team like the Raptors could get all screwed up by the addition of Lebron. They'll still be very good but this is a team that is better than the sum of its parts. Break that chemistry and who knows?
Cavs - He could DEFINITELY wind up staying in Cleveland
Wizards - Not sure how they could possibly get him in under the cap.
Pistons - He could definitely work here. Not sure about their cap space after taking on Griffin's albatross contract
Bucks - Also a definite possibility. But again, similar to the Sixers. Slightly ahead in their development.
Heat - No way

Can't refute anything you've stated here.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers make sense for essentially the same reasons the Sixers do. The Lakers are an improving team with good young talent. If they were in the East, they'd likely be every bit as playoff worthy as the Sixers.

If Lebron chooses the Lakers, he's coming with another max guy and the Lakers fill out their bench solid vets looking to chase rings.

Also, from a basketball perspective, the Lakers system would be a great fit for Lebron. It's based on ball movement and the ball not sticking in one players hands for too long. It's basically set up to be exactly what Lebron has been claiming he wants since his 3rd season in Miami...a system where he doesn't have to do so much heavy lifting.

I do agree though that the Lakers have more work to do than Philly to create the space to get Lebron. They have to create enough to land Lebron plus another max guy. Philly may not have to add another max guy if Lebron is convinced that joining Embiid and Simmons is enough to get another ring.

I will certainly admit that I have a bias towards the Sixers.

But I think you give the game away by arguing that the Lakers are viable provided that Lebron can bring another max player with him. The Sixers are viable without making any significant changes to their roster beyond bringing in Lebron.

I just don't see how the Lakers are able to get two max players under contract without completely giving up the house.

I wasn't trying to slag the Lakers here. I don't think that they have the pieces to compete with the Warriors. I really don't think the Lakers are going to make a move for Lebron next year. It's going to cost them too much. Maybe in 2019 assuming Lebron signs a 1 year deal.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I think you give the game away by arguing that the Lakers are viable provided that Lebron can bring another max player with him. The Sixers are viable without making any significant changes to their roster beyond bringing in Lebron.

Not necessarily. Lebron has to believe that Embiid and Simmons are good enough right now that another max guy isn't necessary. We don't know if Lebron believes that or not. You might believe that to be the case and I might believe that to be the case, but Lebron is the one who has to be convinced. He may trust another max guy over guys who really haven't proven anything yet.

As for the Lakers, since Magic and Pelinka took over, the plan has always been to make a run at Lebron and another max guy. The Lakers already know what they have to do to create the necessary cap space. The only real question is whether they will have to stretch Deng's contract (which they should only do if it means getting Lebron, imo) or if they will be able to trade it (looking more and more unlikely) or get him to agree to a buy out.

I just don't see how the Lakers are able to get two max players under contract without completely giving up the house.

There are 3 players the Lakers consider untouchable and 2 that they would like to keep at least one of. Lonzo, Ingram and Kuzma are considered untouchable. They would like to keep at least 1 of either Nance or Hart, but that's not mandatory.

In short, they wouldn't be giving up anything that they hadn't already planned. It's why Lopez and KCP are on 1 year deals and why Clarkson and Randle are trade bait.

I wasn't trying to slag the Lakers here. I don't think that they have the pieces to compete with the Warriors. I really don't think the Lakers are going to make a move for Lebron next year. It's going to cost them too much. Maybe in 2019 assuming Lebron signs a 1 year deal.

Didn't think you were looking to slag the Lakers.

The Lakers, as currently constructed are built to compete directly with the Warriors. They are long and athletic. That's the type of team that the Warriors struggle with. Their biggest problem is that they are just too young and don't know how to win yet. Add Lebron, another max guy and a couple of solid vets, your chances vs. the Warriors greatly increase.

As for the Lakers making a move, given the injuries (particularly to Boogie) that have hit some of the expected FA's. It looks like the only play the Lakers will look at is PG and Lebron. They are already looking at 2019 in case that doesn't work. Which is smart, imo.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily. Lebron has to believe that Embiid and Simmons are good enough right now that another max guy isn't necessary. We don't know if Lebron believes that or not. You might believe that to be the case and I might believe that to be the case, but Lebron is the one who has to be convinced. He may trust another max guy over guys who really haven't proven anything yet.

Well certainly he has to believe that Embiid and Simmons are good enough without another max contract. That kinds goes without saying.

As for the Lakers, since Magic and Pelinka took over, the plan has always been to make a run at Lebron and another max guy. The Lakers already know what they have to do to create the necessary cap space. The only real question is whether they will have to stretch Deng's contract (which they should only do if it means getting Lebron, imo) or if they will be able to trade it (looking more and more unlikely) or get him to agree to a buy out.

OK, I guess. I would argue that wanting to do it and being able to to do it are two different things.

There are 3 players the Lakers consider untouchable and 2 that they would like to keep at least one of. Lonzo, Ingram and Kuzma are considered untouchable. They would like to keep at least 1 of either Nance or Hart, but that's not mandatory.

In short, they wouldn't be giving up anything that they hadn't already planned. It's why Lopez and KCP are on 1 year deals and why Clarkson and Randle are trade bait.

Not sure that Lebron, PG, Lonzo, Ingram and Kuzma are enough to challenge the Warriors.

Didn't think you were looking to slag the Lakers.

The Lakers, as currently constructed are built to compete directly with the Warriors. They are long and athletic. That's the type of team that the Warriors struggle with. Their biggest problem is that they are just too young and don't know how to win yet. Add Lebron, another max guy and a couple of solid vets, your chances vs. the Warriors greatly increase.

As for the Lakers making a move, given the injuries (particularly to Boogie) that have hit some of the expected FA's. It looks like the only play the Lakers will look at is PG and Lebron. They are already looking at 2019 in case that doesn't work. Which is smart, imo.

I guess the biggest reason why I think the Lakers are less likely for Lebron is that a bunch of things need to happen to make that be a desirable destination for Lebron. The Lakers need to find the cap space. They need to bring in some role players to fill in gaps on the roster. And they need the kids to show they can play at the next level. That can all happen, so going to the Lakers is a possibility. But I think it is a tougher path to go down.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the biggest reason why I think the Lakers are less likely for Lebron is that a bunch of things need to happen to make that be a desirable destination for Lebron. The Lakers need to find the cap space. They need to bring in some role players to fill in gaps on the roster. And they need the kids to show they can play at the next level. That can all happen, so going to the Lakers is a possibility. But I think it is a tougher path to go down.

Well, they just cleared the cap space to bring in Lebron and PG. They also can possibly attach the first round pick to Deng's contract which will give them nearly 3 max spots.

They can use that space to fill in the roster around Lebron, PG, Lonzo, Ingram and Kuzma. It also allows them to keep a guy like Hart who has been playing extremely well since his minutes increased.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They cleared enough for 2 max contracts?

According to Windhorst they did. They already have Lopez and KCP on 1 year deals. IT and Frye are expiring deals and Clarkson was the contract they absolutely had to unload if they wanted 2 max slots.

In fact, if they can use that first round pick to move Deng, they'll have nearly 3 max spots.