• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers 2018 Off-Season Thread

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Zubac has developed to the point of filling all of the present-day requirements for a Lakers center.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lopez says he'll re-up and take a re-structured contract as a result if the Lakers will be a contender. I am not sure if that demand could be fulfilled seeing that noone can control the future. Maybe he was providing fodder for the max guys to get it done this summer.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lopez says he'll re-up and take a re-structured contract as a result if the Lakers will be a contender. I am not sure if that demand could be fulfilled seeing that noone can control the future. Maybe he was providing fodder for the max guys to get it done this summer.

Keeping him on a cheaper deal wouldn't be bad. He's a decent 3 point shooter for a center and a solid locker room guy. Lakers could definitely do worse (and have).

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well one more lose and George can start thinking about LA.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well one more lose and George can start thinking about LA.

Correction: He's been thinking about LA. One more loss and he can actually start moving to LA

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now it is up to you PG-13. Come home!!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Zubac has developed to the point of filling all of the present-day requirements for a Lakers center.

He's showing the potential to at least be a good backup center. I'm not sure he can develop into a true starting center in today's league though.

His offense is solid and he seems to be a guy who can hit the 3 occasionally, which helps, but I don't think he's quick enough to be able to defend the perimeter.

Some of his shortcomings can be overcome with work and playing time. But I doubt he can get much quicker. If he can develop into a solid rebounder, defend the paint effectively and hit some 3's...that would be good for the team.

I think his absolute ceiling is Brooke Lopez with a little better defense and rebounding...which would be just fine if he can develop that far.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard on Dan Patrick this morning that apparently, Shaq thinks that both PG and Lebron are coming to the Lakers this summer. Don't know if he knows something or is just making a prediction.

Dan says that players/former players often know/hear things. On the other hand, it could just be Shaq making his own prediction.

Definitely would like to see PG join the Lakers. If Lebron wants to be a Laker too, that would be great. I'd prefer though, that he come in with a mindset that he will let Lonzo run the offense and just pick his spots when to take over though. Don't really want to see him dominating the ball all game long. It would be counter to the offense the Lakers have been running.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard on Dan Patrick this morning that apparently, Shaq thinks that both PG and Lebron are coming to the Lakers this summer. Don't know if he knows something or is just making a prediction.

Dan says that players/former players often know/hear things. On the other hand, it could just be Shaq making his own prediction.

Definitely would like to see PG join the Lakers. If Lebron wants to be a Laker too, that would be great. I'd prefer though, that he come in with a mindset that he will let Lonzo run the offense and just pick his spots when to take over though. Don't really want to see him dominating the ball all game long. It would be counter to the offense the Lakers have been running.
I really think George is comming.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think George is comming.

Me too. He could have a first round exit with the Lakers and at least it would be a team that's going to be better. I think OKC is destined to first round exits as long as Westbrook is there. Unless he starts learning how to play with a team, which seems unlikely at this point.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft lottery results made the FO's dream of landing Lebron and PG a lot more interesting.

Trading the #8 pick isn't likely to net the Cavs enough to entice Lebron to stay, especially since they'd likely have to attach Kevin Love to it to get back anything decent.

Lebron isn't casting his lot with a rookie who was a top 3 pick, let alone the #8 pick.

Pretty solid chance he's leaving Cleveland (although I think he'd prefer to stay). So it's going to depend on who can put together the most attractive team.

The possible Kawhi trade rumors are interesting as well.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see LeBron heading West.

He has a hard enough time beating the Warriors in the finals. I don't see him wanting to get bounced before the finals by the Warriors, Rockets, etc.

The East is an easier road to the finals than the West is, and he knows this. That's why he has stayed in the East both times he had a chance to leave his teams.

If he does leave Cleveland again, I think Philly is a huge possibility. With him, they would be loaded enough to go against a stacked Celtics team that will only get stronger next year

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He has a hard enough time beating the Warriors in the finals. I don't see him wanting to get bounced before the finals by the Warriors, Rockets, etc.

The East is an easier road to the finals than the West is, and he knows this. That's why he has stayed in the East both times he had a chance to leave his teams.

If he does leave Cleveland again, I think Philly is a huge possibility. With him, they would be loaded enough to go against a stacked Celtics team that will only get stronger next year
He and simmons are ball dominant. It would not work IMO. Like trying to fit lebron with Worthy and Magic. Great lineup, but Magic and LB are ball dominant as well.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Definitely possible.

The problem for Lebron if he stays in Cleveland is obviously that they have no real way to improve the team around him. So his days of even making the finals are over. However, if he does stay, the Cavs can sign him to the richest contract in NBA history. That's not nothing, but I doubt it's enough to keep him. In theory, they could trade Love, the #8 pick and maybe another piece or 2 to get Kawhi, but with the rest of that roster, it makes them better, but not better enough to get past the Celtics or Sixers, let alone the Warriors.

If he goes to Philly, in theory, that makes them immediate contenders and a real threat to the Warriors. The problem there could be fit. They already have Simmons who needs the ball in his hands to be effective. Lebron also needs the ball to be effective. Is Lebron going to be willing to take a back seat to Simmons? Is Simmons going to want to take a back seat to Lebron? Heck, are the Sixers going to want to risk slowing Simmons development by bringing in Lebron? If Lebron is willing to "pick his spots" while letting Simmons do most of the heavy lifting, they could win a title next season and be favorites along with the Celtics for awhile.

If he goes to Houston, he makes them a direct threat to the Warriors, but again, there could be a problem with fit. They already have 2 ball dominant players who like their iso's in CP3 and Harden. You'd now be adding another ball dominant player who likes his iso's in Lebron. In short, you'd be adding another "iso guy" to a team that already leads the league in iso's. That plays right into the Warriors hands. But, if they could figure out the ball distribution, it could be a devastating trio.

Fit wise, the Lakers are probably the easiest fit, because they are playing more of a positionless style of basketball and Lonzo is one of the fastest in the league at getting the ball out of his hands, starting the offense and setting the pace. This would keep teams from focusing on Lebron and he'd still have carte blanche to take over when necessary. However, the Lakers also need the most work/development to get to true contender status. They'd certainly have to land another max level guy to even get Lebron, but still may be about 2 years away from being a true contender if they do.

There's no perfect fit and no doubt any team he goes to will at least tweak their system to fit him in. The question will be, who can do the best job of tweaking their system.

Gonna be an interesting off-season.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I doubt it. Unless he's just a late bloomer, he's a guy who will be a very nice backup big or maybe even an average starter on a team that doesn't really feature a big.

I think his ceiling is Brooke Lopez. A guy who certainly isn't going to hurt your team, but he's not going to win games for you either. He's also a bit slow footed on defense which can make him a bit of a liability.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it. Unless he's just a late bloomer, he's a guy who will be a very nice backup big or maybe even an average starter on a team that doesn't really feature a big.

I think his ceiling is Brooke Lopez. A guy who certainly isn't going to hurt your team, but he's not going to win games for you either. He's also a bit slow footed on defense which can make him a bit of a liability.

To be fair, his development was stunted last season with Brook's arrival.

Toward the end of the previous season, Z was making good progress.

This past season, he barely got to play because Brook started and when he went to the bench, the Lakers played small ball with Randle at center.

Players games don't elevate from backup to all star caliber by working on their game in the off-eason and in practice alone. They need legit PT, and Z didn't get that this season