• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers 2018 Off-Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, another season over and what should be a very interesting off-season with a lot of possibilities.

The Lakers are set to have enough cap space to land 2 max FA's and they have the "Julius Randle problem" to deal with.

We all know, whether some like it or not, they will be targeting Lebron and PG-13 this off-season and that is likely going to cost them Julius Randle who has earned himself a very nice pay raise with his play this season. I read where, in games he started, he averaged 19 points and 9 boards. I'll take that production every time.

But...beware the contract year. Will he work as hard once he gets paid?

Also, what happens if they strike out in FA or only land 1 top FA?

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very Intriguing off season to say the least. I say keep Randle and get one max or really good free agent. What is the true position of need besides outside shooter?? Hart was a great ouside shooter in college . He is starting to show that in pro's. Good young pieces on this team.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very Intriguing off season to say the least. I say keep Randle and get one max or really good free agent. What is the true position of need besides outside shooter?? Hart was a great ouside shooter in college . He is starting to show that in pro's. Good young pieces on this team.

I think that if Magic and Pelinka's "dream scenario" of landing Lebron and PG-13 actually happens, they have to do it, even if it costs them Randle. They have to because it vaults them immediately into contender status.

I think it's safe to say that if they only get 1 max guy this off-season, it will be PG-13 (we know Lebron ain't coming by himself and there aren't really any other non-injured max guys).

In that case, I say that they should match whatever Randle is offered. If needed, he can be traded later down the road for another max guy (assuming he hasn't become one himself).

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From all indications so far, if we get any max player it will be PG. Lebron is now talking about going to Philly to finish out his career. They should keep Randle and go with PG as their max guy. We shall see though.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From all indications so far, if we get any max player it will be PG. Lebron is now talking about going to Philly to finish out his career. They should keep Randle and go with PG as their max guy. We shall see though.
I agree. I would have no problem with that. However, I don't see Lebron in Philly. Simmons is Lebron like. I don't think those two could share the same court. Lebron likes to be point foward as well.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic and Pelinka learned well from the likes of Dr. Buss and the Icon. There are a lot of cryptic messages in this article one of which is: "We ain't telling you all whta we have planned for this summer, so don't ask".

Since Cleveland lost their last season game, we pick #23 in the first round. Perhaps this duo has a center in mind this time. I also see the Lakers KEEPING Randle and we shall see if this plays out.

Magic Johnson, Rob Pelinka On NBA Free Agents: Lakers 'Won't Give Money Away' - Lakers Nation

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really? I haven't heard anything about Philly that has been attributed to Lebron or his agents. Everything I've heard has been media speculation because of all of the young talent there. Even with that, some in the media are starting to say that Simmons/Lebron would be a weird fit.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic and Pelinka learned well from the likes of Dr. Buss and the Icon. There are a lot of cryptic messages in this article one of which is: "We ain't telling you all whta we have planned for this summer, so don't ask".

Since Cleveland lost their last season game, we pick #23 in the first round. Perhaps this duo has a center in mind this time. I also see the Lakers KEEPING Randle and we shall see if this plays out.

Magic Johnson, Rob Pelinka On NBA Free Agents: Lakers 'Won't Give Money Away' - Lakers Nation

I was really glad to hear Magic say that they "won't give money away just to say they signed somebody". That kind of crap is how you end up with Deng/Mozgov contracts.

As for Magic shutting down reporters questions on whom they will pursue...It's amazing what half a million dollars in tampering fines will do. lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because of injuries, the number of max FA's the Lakers will pursue is down to 2. Lebron and PG.

Imo, if the Lakers land Lebron, it all but guarantees that they will get PG too. We all know that Lebron ain't coming by himself and will have worked something out with PG. That pretty well also guarantees that Randle will be gone.

Where it could get very interesting is in the timing. Lebron usually likes to drag out his free agency. Will PG be willing to wait for Lebron to do his usual thing, especially if OKC performs well in the playoffs?

Will PG be willing to come to the Lakers by himself and hope that they can land another max FA in 2019?

Will Lebron wait to see if PG signs with the Lakers before he commits?

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. The usual summertime drama surrounding LeBron ina FA year.
I am not even considering him coming to LA. Dont shoot me, but I want to see how Cousins rehab is going. If he gets back to normal or there is a good outlook for his injury, I would look at signing him.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK, tomodach. I think we can do better in the draft if we are focusing in on a dominating center. I think Cousins' career is done.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK, tomodach. I think we can do better in the draft if we are focusing in on a dominating center. I think Cousins' career is done.
What type of center do you think would fit our team???

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not even considering him coming to LA. Dont shoot me, but I want to see how Cousins rehab is going. If he gets back to normal or there is a good outlook for his injury, I would look at signing him.

The problem is that, if memory serves, Boogie is an FA this coming summer. That makes the timing of his injury terrible for both him and any teams that are interested in him.

The type of injury (ruptured Achilles) is also something to be very concerned about, especially with a big. A healthy Boogie is definitely a max level guy and someone the Lakers should consider pursuing. But Boogie coming off this kind of injury? I don't know about that.

If I'm the Lakers and it looks like we're striking out on either one of both of Lebron and PG, then I look at Boogie on a 1 year, high dollar deal to see how he comes back from the injury. If he doesn't want to do that...I save my money for next off-season.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another guy like Shaq who can also shoot FTs.

The problem is that in today's NBA, a big needs to be able to defend out to the 3 point line, hit some 3's and keep up with the pace of the game. Finding a guy like Shaq who can do that is going to be very difficult to do. Ayton coming out of Arizona might be able to do that, but the Lakers have no way of getting a pick high enough to get him.

Imo, they'd almost be better off keeping Lopez on a smaller deal. He can't defend out to the 3 point line, but he's a serviceable shooter from the 3 point line. He'd have to accept though, that there are going to be some games where he's just not going to play much because he can't stay up with the pace.