• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers 2017-2018 Season Thread

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you watched a game without their two top players (Ingram, Lonzo). Ingram has become their go-to scorer when needed and Lonzo really sets the tone on offense and defense, even if his defense isn't flashy and in the highlights. Lonzo's averaging 10.2/7.1/7.1 with improving shot %s. He's 7th in the league in assists/game and 33rd overall in rebounds/game (2nd to only Lebron among non PF/C). Only 4 other players in the league are averaging 7/7; Westbrook, Lebron, Simmons, and Draymond Green.

Coaches around the league respect Walton, and I'm not going to rush to judgement when two guys (Clarkson and Randle) seem to be becoming cancerous in the locker room over minutes and role. This team was not expected to be in the playoffs, and they aren't in contention. Games like last night are infuriating in terms of effort though, as one of the hallmarks of this team under Walton is that they keep pushing regardless of score.

You nailed it. My thoughts exactly.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many poor choices and off season mistakes. I'm beginning to wonder if Lonzo was another one.

The poor choices are the ones made by Short Buss when he was in charge. Jeanie, Magic and Pelinka have done a nice job getting the team pointed in the right direction...especially when you consider the mess that Short Buss left them.

The Lakers are 0-7 when Lonzo doesn't play. As @shopson67 pointed out, he's the one who sets the tone.

And once again they made one of my number 1 on the list biggest blunders. Hiring a former Lakers Player to be the head coach.

They hired one of the most respected young coaches in the game. Did you not see the other NBA head coaches coming to his defense when Lavar popped off claiming he lost the locker room?

If the Lakers hadn't hired Luke, someone else would have. He was handed a team of kids who, while talented, don't know how to play yet and a couple of veterans playing for themselves so they can get bigger contracts in the off-season. He has 2 other players in Clarkson and Randle who have let it be known that they aren't happy being on the trading block.

Despite all of that, he has the team playing hard every night and is on pace to get to 30-35 wins, which was always their ceiling.

I had a lot of hope coming into this season

A lot of hope for what? You didn't think this was a playoff team did you? Jeanie, Magic, Pelinka and Luke all said before the season started that this season wasn't going to be about wins, it was going to be about developing the kids.

The Lakers are said to have a very good shot at landing a couple of max FA's in the off-season. Plus, they run a system that players want to play in and have a good young coach that players want to play for. So things could turn around as early as next year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question for my fellow Lakers fans:

It looks like the Clippers are willing to part ways with DeAndre Jordan. Maybe not now during the season, because they are in the playoff hunt...but it looks like they don't want to pay him (I believe he's an FA after the season).

The speculation has been that the Lakers will pursue Lebron and PG in the off season. My question is...

What do you guys think if they pursued DeAndre and Lebron or PG in the off season?

I think that might be a better way to go. DeAndre would shore up the interior defense and in the Lakers system, get a lot of dunks without having many plays run specifically for him.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The poor choices are the ones made by Short Buss when he was in charge. Jeanie, Magic and Pelinka have done a nice job getting the team pointed in the right direction...especially when you consider the mess that Short Buss left them.

The Lakers are 0-7 when Lonzo doesn't play. As @shopson67 pointed out, he's the one who sets the tone.

They hired one of the most respected young coaches in the game. Did you not see the other NBA head coaches coming to his defense when Lavar popped off claiming he lost the locker room?

If the Lakers hadn't hired Luke, someone else would have. He was handed a team of kids who, while talented, don't know how to play yet and a couple of veterans playing for themselves so they can get bigger contracts in the off-season. He has 2 other players in Clarkson and Randle who have let it be known that they aren't happy being on the trading block.

Despite all of that, he has the team playing hard every night and is on pace to get to 30-35 wins, which was always their ceiling.

A lot of hope for what? You didn't think this was a playoff team did you? Jeanie, Magic, Pelinka and Luke all said before the season started that this season wasn't going to be about wins, it was going to be about developing the kids.

The Lakers are said to have a very good shot at landing a couple of max FA's in the off-season. Plus, they run a system that players want to play in and have a good young coach that players want to play for. So things could turn around as early as next year.
Luke has rebellion in the locker room, Sure that comes with youth but when it spills out into the media I see trouble.
You can blame the Buss's but I place the blame furture back than that, I place it squarely on Mitch. He is the one that blew it with one bad pick after another.
Maybe the NBA is different today but players should not need so many years in the NBA to develop, if they do they need to be cut or traded.
We will just have to agree to disagree. With me it's all about winning games not developing young players after 4 seasons of play.
I am an old guy, been watching the Lakers for years this is not Lakers ball. 15 wins is not acceptable to me or any other fan I know.
But I do respect your opinion and hope you are right and I am wrong.

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can blame the Buss's but I place the blame furture back than that, I place it squarely on Mitch. He is the one that blew it with one bad pick after another.

Who should've been the Lakers' picks that you think were blown? I'll give you Zinger over Russell in hindsight (not many were on board with that at the time), but he was traded away and replaced by Kuzma, a definite upgrade at least so far. Who was drafted after Randle that would've been better? After Ingram? I'm seeing anyone. Add in value picks in Kuzma, Hart, and Nance and the Lakers have drafted very well since 2014.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers are now one of two teams that Demarcus Cousins is rumored to be traded to since he is a FA in the summer. Don't know if I want Cousins and Ball in the same locker room.

Also, the pundits have Marc Gasol headed to Cleveland if Memphis decides to blow it all up. If Gasol goes to Cleveland and Cousins to the Lakers, LeBron might hang around in Cleveland. Then again, he may bolt to LA and drag George along with him.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who should've been the Lakers' picks that you think were blown? I'll give you Zinger over Russell in hindsight (not many were on board with that at the time),

Knicks fans boo'd the shit out of that pick. Absolutely no one had Porzingis that high.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers are now one of two teams that Demarcus Cousins is rumored to be traded to since he is a FA in the summer. Don't know if I want Cousins and Ball in the same locker room.

What's wrong with Cousins and Ball in the same locker room? Lonzo isn't the problem, his Dad is, and his Dad isn't in the locker room (even though his big mouth makes it seem like it sometimes lol). I'm more worried about Boogie's effect on such a young team if he starts acting like he did in Sacramento.

He seems to have kept it under control in Nawlins' but it'd be awhile before I stopped expecting to see some article or story on ESPN about him being a problem in the locker room.

Also, the pundits have Marc Gasol headed to Cleveland if Memphis decides to blow it all up. If Gasol goes to Cleveland and Cousins to the Lakers, LeBron might hang around in Cleveland. Then again, he may bolt to LA and drag George along with him.

Trying to predict what Lebron is going to do is like trying to herd cats. lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke has rebellion in the locker room, Sure that comes with youth but when it spills out into the media I see trouble.

Respectfully disagree. There is no "rebellion." Clarkson and Randle are not happy about being on the trading block. That's to be expected. I would have serious doubts about them as competitors if they weren't.

With a young team, the most sure way to tell if there are real locker room issues is if the effort on the court drops. It hasn't.

I defer to @shopson67 on this. His post was spot on.

Maybe the NBA is different today but players should not need so many years in the NBA to develop, if they do they need to be cut or traded.

Again, respectfully disagree. With the rise of AAU teams and the "one and done", players are coming into the NBA at a younger age and less developed than ever before.

AAU coaches let them do what they want rather than teach any fundamentals and high school coaches are often afraid to truly coach these kids or hold them accountable for fear of losing them.

So, these kids don't really get coached in AAU or high school, then they get 1 year of true coaching in college before they head to the NBA. Kuzma hasn't looked like a better player than Lonzo this year because he's a better or more talented player. He's looked better because he spent 4 years in college getting top level coaching and is more developed. Lonzo had 1 year of college level coaching. Of course it's going to take longer. How could it not?

Just look at the difference between Ingram last year and this year. It perfectly illustrates that point.

We will just have to agree to disagree. With me it's all about winning games not developing young players after 4 seasons of play.

Who, besides Randle, has been with the team 4 years? The main core of the Lakers is:

Lonzo - Rookie

Ingram - 2nd year

Kuzma - Rookie

Nance - 2nd year.

I am an old guy, been watching the Lakers for years this is not Lakers ball. 15 wins is not acceptable to me or any other fan I know.

I'm an old guy myself. I've been a Lakers fan since 1970 and prior to this stretch, could count on 1 hand the number of seasons that the Lakers missed the playoffs. I'm also a realist and understand what Short Buss did to the team, the mess he left for Jeanie, Magic and Pelinka to clean up and that with the current CBA and salary cap, it's no longer a simple matter of the Lakers deciding which FA they want and then signing him.

But I do respect your opinion and hope you are right and I am wrong.

I hope I am too. lol

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Respectfully disagree. There is no "rebellion." Clarkson and Randle are not happy about being on the trading block. That's to be expected. I would have serious doubts about them as competitors if they weren't.

With a young team, the most sure way to tell if there are real locker room issues is if the effort on the court drops. It hasn't.

I defer to @shopson67 on this. His post was spot on.

Again, respectfully disagree. With the rise of AAU teams and the "one and done", players are coming into the NBA at a younger age and less developed than ever before.

AAU coaches let them do what they want rather than teach any fundamentals and high school coaches are often afraid to truly coach these kids or hold them accountable for fear of losing them.

So, these kids don't really get coached in AAU or high school, then they get 1 year of true coaching in college before they head to the NBA. Kuzma hasn't looked like a better player than Lonzo this year because he's a better or more talented player. He's looked better because he spent 4 years in college getting top level coaching and is more developed. Lonzo had 1 year of college level coaching. Of course it's going to take longer. How could it not?

Just look at the difference between Ingram last year and this year. It perfectly illustrates that point.

Who, besides Randle, has been with the team 4 years? The main core of the Lakers is:

Lonzo - Rookie

Ingram - 2nd year

Kuzma - Rookie

Nance - 2nd year.

I'm an old guy myself. I've been a Lakers fan since 1970 and prior to this stretch, could count on 1 hand the number of seasons that the Lakers missed the playoffs. I'm also a realist and understand what Short Buss did to the team, the mess he left for Jeanie, Magic and Pelinka to clean up and that with the current CBA and salary cap, it's no longer a simple matter of the Lakers deciding which FA they want and then signing him.

I hope I am too. lol
Well like I said I hope you and Shopson are right. I'm just sick of watching them lose. It's taking way too long to turn this ship around IMO. Where are all of the Worthy's Cooper's and Johnson's? I watched last night where play after play everyone was standing around watching Lonzo dribble as if he was Kobe Bryant.

Players tossing up shots with no one under the hoop. No passing No defense! The ball comes off the hoop and everyone goes to the ball. No one blocks out. Just basic stuff like that. If they had 15 wins right now but were actually playing better playing as if they were being coached properly I would be happy but they are playing like they have no clue at times. Kind of just like the last 5 seasons.

I know I'm hard on them, I should be more patient. But I'm sick of season after season where the freaking Clippers are better than the Lakers! It's unnatural. It's not the way things should be. I guess I'm just worried that they may still be headed in the wrong direction.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well like I said I hope you and Shopson are right. I'm just sick of watching them lose. It's taking way too long to turn this ship around IMO. Where are all of the Worthy's Cooper's and Johnson's? I watched last night where play after play everyone was standing around watching Lonzo dribble as if he was Kobe Bryant.

Players tossing up shots with no one under the hoop. No passing No defense! The ball comes off the hoop and everyone goes to the ball. No one blocks out. Just basic stuff like that. If they had 15 wins right now but were actually playing better playing as if they were being coached properly I would be happy but they are playing like they have no clue at times. Kind of just like the last 5 seasons.

I know I'm hard on them, I should be more patient. But I'm sick of season after season where the freaking Clippers are better than the Lakers! It's unnatural. It's not the way things should be. I guess I'm just worried that they may still be headed in the wrong direction.

We've been spoiled as Lakers fans, as the Lakers have typically reloaded instead of rebuilding. Patience has been tough...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are all of the Worthy's Cooper's and Johnson's?

Magic and Worthy are once in a generation type players. It's not like they are out there every year. It took a pretty amazing set of circumstances for the Lakers to get Magic and Worthy. Circumstances that are almost impossible to replicate. Especially since in Magic's case, the Lakers were already a playoff team and in Worthy's case, they were already championship contenders.

I watched last night where play after play everyone was standing around watching Lonzo dribble as if he was Kobe Bryant.

Lonzo didn't play. If he had, it's unlikely players would have been standing around watching him dribble. He moves the ball too quickly for that to happen. It's what @shopson67 was talking about when he said that Lonzo sets the tone.

This is different from the last 5 years because this is a team of young players with a solid core that is learning the NBA game and learning to play together. When they are on, they look like the old Showtime Lakers. When they aren't...they look like they've never seen a basketball before. That's life with a young team.

The previous 5 years was whatever was left of Kobe and whatever flotsam and jetsam they picked up on the waiver wire. I mean...Short Buss's big FA signings were Timofey Mozgov and Luol Deng. :L

They are absolutely playing better than they have at any point in the last 5 years and are on pace to win more games than in any of the previous 5 seasons. You and Lavar Ball are literally the only people I've seen question Luke's coaching. They are absolutely being coached properly. Luke is also young, so he does make "young coach" mistakes. That's fine. He's learning and developing right along with his players. I really like that idea.

I hear ya on the losing. It's not like I'm enjoying it either. What I am enjoying though, is watching these kids learn and develop.

You commented that you heard they were on a winning streak, so you watched their last game. That tells me that you haven't been watching. Unfortunately, you watched a game where Lonzo didn't play and Ingram played very little.

I'd like to suggest to you that you watch more games. The difference between this year and the last 5 years is very clear. They play hard, they never quit and they are competitive in almost every game. There have been several games this year that, over the past 5 years, would have been blowouts, but this team pretty much always comes back and at least makes it competitive and even wins from time to time.

I'd like nothing better than for the Lakers to land a couple of max FA's in the off-season and put a stop to all of this losing. If it doesn't happen, then I'll be okay with watching them develop another year. But they better be able to make something happen after that or I'm gonna get salty. lol

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would love Cousins on this team.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to suggest to you that you watch more games
I will Trojan I will watch more now that the NFL is winding down. I think the the game I was referring to when the team was spectating was a couple of weeks ago. I do watch from time to time but to be honest when they are losing I get frustrated and change the channel. You made some good points though Trojan.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy it sure aint fun watching this team tonight.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy it sure aint fun watching this team tonight.

It was for about 2 and a half quarters. lol

But then they let Melo get an offensive rhythm going and couldn't keep Steven Adams off of the offensive glass.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Before folks get it a stiffy for Cousins to come to the Lakers, make sure you take a look at this recent vid.

DeMarcus Cousins commits worst turnover of NBA season, then gets dunked on

I have my reservation about him, but I really think he could be great here.