• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers 2016 Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no issue with the last 2 wins. Ideally, I'd like to keep the pick. But those wins were late in close games against playoff teams. We have struggled with closing games all season.

These games showed some development and can help build some positive momentum heading into the off season.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no issue with the last 2 wins. Ideally, I'd like to keep the pick. But those wins were late in close games against playoff teams. We have struggled with closing games all season.

These games showed some development and can help build some positive momentum heading into the off season.

Well, not a lot of development going on in that Spurs game. They were desperately trying to lose. Luke basically benched every guy that was playing worth a damn at the start of the game and then Pop trolled him by benching all his guys

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, not a lot of development going on in that Spurs game. They were desperately trying to lose. Luke basically benched every guy that was playing worth a damn at the start of the game and then Pop trolled him by benching all his guys

POP sure did. Sitting his starters the second half LOL. Well we finished with the third worst record. We still have a chance to keep our pick.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, to be fair, Russell was out the whole game and Ingram was on minutes restriction. They still had Clarkson, Nance and, if memory serves, Randle out there.

What do you think of Ennis and Brewer? So far, I think they look better than I thought they would. Not sure how much I'd want to pay them to keep them, but they've looked fairly solid, imo.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ennis and Brewer are playing pretty darn good. Brewer is way better than Deng for sure. And Ennis puts some pretty good numbers coming in there to help fill the void of Williams being traded. David Nwaba is also playing great and the Lakers are servicing him to the D-league to play in the playoffs for the Lakers. What a find in that kid!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, to be fair, Russell was out the whole game and Ingram was on minutes restriction. They still had Clarkson, Nance and, if memory serves, Randle out there.

What do you think of Ennis and Brewer? So far, I think they look better than I thought they would. Not sure how much I'd want to pay them to keep them, but they've looked fairly solid, imo.

Ennis is garbage. Nothing more than a borderline NBA talent. If LA doesn't keep him, he's likely on his way overseas somewhere to salvage his career. Brewer is just...mediocre. He's getting older so he can't really be a good contributor like he was for a few teams earlier in his career. Serviceable rotational player, not a real difference maker one way or the other. If they keep him, its fine by me. If not, that's ok too

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suns miraculously blew out the Thunder tonight!

LA locked in a battle with the Kings though. Someone needs to radio in that the Suns won so our players can just start launching balls into the stands as "shot attempts"

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L :L :L

Another W. Should have missed those FTs.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ennis is garbage. Nothing more than a borderline NBA talent. If LA doesn't keep him, he's likely on his way overseas somewhere to salvage his career. Brewer is just...mediocre. He's getting older so he can't really be a good contributor like he was for a few teams earlier in his career. Serviceable rotational player, not a real difference maker one way or the other. If they keep him, its fine by me. If not, that's ok too

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. They've both played better than they were prior to coming to the Lakers, but they certainly aren't going to be difference makers. I've liked Brewer better than Ennis. He's made some pretty good, very athletic plays.

I just read where Ennis has averaged career highs with the Lakers, but it probably says a lot about him that those career highs are 7.1 points on 40.5% shooting.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man if we lose this pick....

I'd like to keep the pick. But from a player development and building positive momentum going into the off season standpoint...I'm not going to get upset over these kids winning a few games at the end. They need the confidence boost.

Like Luke said after the game:

"We're getting team effort from everybody right now. They're rising to the challenge and competing mainly on the defensive end. They're having fun out there and competing. When we were playing well earlier in the year, that's what we were doing. Losing took that from us. We found that at the last couple of games."

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. We will be O.K. although losing the pick does have some fairly crappy consequences into 2019. I believe we will secure the third pick overall and then no future picks go anywhere. It ain't over. If Brooklyn continues to win and Phoenix wins three games and we lose the rest of the way, we should be in pretty good shape.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to keep the pick. But from a player development and building positive momentum going into the off season standpoint...I'm not going to get upset over these kids winning a few games at the end. They need the confidence boost.

"We're getting team effort from everybody right now. They're rising to the challenge and competing mainly on the defensive end. They're having fun out there and competing. When we were playing well earlier in the year, that's what we were doing. Losing took that from us. We found that at the last couple of games."
The season is meaningless at this point. I hate like heck to be in the lottery position, but it behooves this team to maximize the best odds to do it. And winning meaningless games now is just stupid imo. Your not building anything this late in the season. Your playing mostly scrubs against scrubs. It is like summer league. I hope like heck this is the last lottery year. Bad management put them in this situation and the only way out is keeping your draft picks. Then you may be able trade assets to improve team. This team needs one superstar.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't pay much attention to what he says at this point. He can't say anything else. His actions say all that's needed and those say they are trying to lose. Young doesn't play games, Russell plays some then some he doesn't, they cut down Ingram's minutes because of "tendonitis" which was an old excuse players used to sit out for rest back when resting players was taboo. He's doing everything he can outside of telling guys to miss shots to lose. They aren't developing or looking long term or any of that right now. It's all short term, focusing on getting as many ping pong balls as possible.

I look at it this way. We were going to need a lot of lottery luck to keep the pick regardless. They were playing pretty good (not 10-10 like the start of the season, but respectable) until a rash of little injuries derailed things (Nance, Russell's knee, etc). When that happened, they made the decision to tank sometime in January to maximize those odds of keeping the pick. That's when they started shopping Williams, benched Deng, started throwing out odd lineups, etc. Well, if you commit to that, I want to see it through. I want to see them lose any game they can down the stretch. That's why it stinks to see them win a game where they could have gained ground like last night. Because the other alternative back in January was to focus on real development, get back to what they were doing in December and just let the balls drop (lulz) where they may. But now that they are tanking, but still winning games? That's basically no mans land. I could live with being 2nd worst and missing out. That's just bad luck. But 3rd worst and miss out (which is easy to do)? You're just going to end up feeling rotten, like the last 2 to 3 months was a waste of time because it basically was.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And winning meaningless games now is just stupid imo. Your not building anything this late in the season.

Couldn't disagree more.

Your playing mostly scrubs against scrubs.

Uh, no you're not. Last night, the starters for both teams played 25-30 minutes each. The Grizzlies also played their guys. The only team that went with scrubs was the Spurs and even they played their starters for a little bit.

Bad management put them in this situation and the only way out is keeping your draft picks.

Not necessarily. It's not going to be easy. Short Buss left a mess for sure. But Magic and Pelinka are trying to clean it up. It'll take some smart moves, some luck and will almost certainly take more than just this off-season to clean up. But I think now that Short Buss is gone, Jeanie is in control and they can now concentrate solely on the team. We'll be back in 2-3 years.

No guarantee that having Magic involved in the FA process will land them any top players...but I like their chances a whole lot better with him in the room than Short Buss.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't pay much attention to what he says at this point. He can't say anything else. His actions say all that's needed and those say they are trying to lose. Young doesn't play games, Russell plays some then some he doesn't, they cut down Ingram's minutes because of "tendonitis" which was an old excuse players used to sit out for rest back when resting players was taboo. He's doing everything he can outside of telling guys to miss shots to lose. They aren't developing or looking long term or any of that right now. It's all short term, focusing on getting as many ping pong balls as possible.

I look at it this way. We were going to need a lot of lottery luck to keep the pick regardless. They were playing pretty good (not 10-10 like the start of the season, but respectable) until a rash of little injuries derailed things (Nance, Russell's knee, etc). When that happened, they made the decision to tank sometime in January to maximize those odds of keeping the pick. That's when they started shopping Williams, benched Deng, started throwing out odd lineups, etc. Well, if you commit to that, I want to see it through. I want to see them lose any game they can down the stretch. That's why it stinks to see them win a game where they could have gained ground like last night. Because the other alternative back in January was to focus on real development, get back to what they were doing in December and just let the balls drop (lulz) where they may. But now that they are tanking, but still winning games? That's basically no mans land. I could live with being 2nd worst and missing out. That's just bad luck. But 3rd worst and miss out (which is easy to do)? You're just going to end up feeling rotten, like the last 2 to 3 months was a waste of time because it basically was.

I agree to a point. But I'm not ever going to begrudge these young guys winning games. If Luke were throwing vets out there, I'd completely agree. But he's been, for the most part, going with the kids.

Not his fault that like most kids, they have started doing the opposite of what their parents want. lol

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't disagree more.

Uh, no you're not. Last night, the starters for both teams played 25-30 minutes each. The Grizzlies also played their guys. The only team that went with scrubs was the Spurs and even they played their starters for a little bit.

Not necessarily. It's not going to be easy. Short Buss left a mess for sure. But Magic and Pelinka are trying to clean it up. It'll take some smart moves, some luck and will almost certainly take more than just this off-season to clean up. But I think now that Short Buss is gone, Jeanie is in control and they can now concentrate solely on the team.

No guarantee that having Magic involved in the FA process will land them any top players...but I like their chances a whole lot better with him in the room than Short Buss.
I do like our chances more with magic then short buss. 2-3 is reasonable considering the huge management blunders since 2012.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep I agree with TJF12 and tomodach and I do believe even with winning/losing the last three games we will get at least the third pick maybe even better because we are on a roll, lol.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Suns have won two with one left. If they win and we lose all three, we then assume the second place chances by one game. Sweet. The Lakers are doing their best as they were up by 16, they let the Wolves back in the game and lead by only two at the half.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are down by 1 at the end of the third. Ennis has a game-high 20 points. Playing well.