• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

L.A. Rams coaching staff

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LAR.png
Los Angeles Rams

• Coach: Sean McVay
    • Grade: B
When the Rams started their search, it seemed certain the plan was to "win the press conference" and try to generate some headlines in Los Angeles by hiring a big-name head coach. If the right guy was grabbed, great, but just pulling the trigger on a big name just to make a splash would be a nightmare. Instead, the Rams went in the other direction, hiring a fairly unknown commodity in Sean McVay but also creating some ripples by bringing in the youngest head coach in NFL history. McVay, who is 30, was born the same year that "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" was released.

Oddly enough, there's only one guy on the roster -- High Point, North Carolina's own William Hayes -- who is older than McVay. That's good news in terms of being able to relate to a young roster for McVay.

Also good news: He has had success with a young quarterback, generating two productive seasons out of Kirk Cousins. Say what you want about his play in big spots this season, but Cousins put up huge stats the past two years and is about to get paid.

usatsi9807826.jpg

Sean McVay becomes the youngest head coach in NFL history at 30. USATSI

If the Rams can get McVay to work that magic on Jared Goff, they'll be in good shape. There's offensive talent to work with too, particularly in the form of Todd Gurley. Defensively, under Wade Phillips, the Rams should improve and McVay gets the bonus of being given a guy with decades of experience.

The Rams should be patient here too, because of the timeline for the new stadium. McVay doesn't need to win big early as long as he can manage to put up some points and draw in some crowds.

Grading the NFL coaching hires: Rams, Bills get high marks, but Shanahan trumps all

They say that Shanahan trumps all but he is late to the party to get his coaching staff together.

It will be interest to see what moves he makes with the left overs and sech.

Shanahan trumps all.

Dwight-Schrute-LOL.gif

The guy that didn't know you can run the ball with a big lead to run time off the clock.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McVay is going to do well with Goff and Mannion and all he has to do, until the stadium is finished, is not pull any 7-9 bullshit. Finishing his first season at 8-8 or even 9-7 will be considered a success! It is not out of the realm of possibilities that he may even go 10-6.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McVay is going to do well with Goff and Mannion and all he has to do, until the stadium is finished, is not pull any 7-9 bullshit. Finishing his first season at 8-8 or even 9-7 will be considered a success! It is not out of the realm of possibilities that he may even go 10-6.
Or even 4-12 I'll add.

(Really, he has so much to do that I would think any record is acceptable in his first year)

McVay and company have a lot of work to do and trying to install those ideas and getting these guys all on the same page with all the CBA rules and regulations in place is the challenge.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan may have been the big name signing, but when you pair him with noob GM Lynch, I don't know what exactly that pairing is trumps.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ill call it early, 0-16 baby

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as the offense and defense makes improvements, I'll be happy. McVay needs time to adjust to being a HC. He gets a pass from me, barring some disaster like 1-15 or 0-16

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he'll go 0-16. If he is as good as the FO wants everyone to believe he is, he won't go winless but like everything else in the NFL, it won't surprise me if it indeed does happen.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gets a pass from me, barring some disaster like 1-15 or 0-16
He may not get a pass from you but I'd bet donuts to dollars he gets a pass from the Rams FO.

So, if he goes winless, or has but 1 win closing out the 2017 season, are you going to call for his head 88?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know that in the NFL there have been a ton of HC's who have failed in followup seasons after going without a win, with one, or two in their first year.

Well, what if the 49ers weren't so patient with Bill Walsh who went 2-14 his first year. (They too were without a first round pick after they traded it away to Buffalo for OJ)

Or if the Cowboys weren't patient with Jimmy Johnson, who went 1-15 his first year.

No, in most cases I think it's a mistake, if you thought the guy was the right guy, then you have to give him more than a year before you give up on him.

Two dynasties (or near dynasties, however you look at it, but multiple SB Championships no less) that may have never happened if their leadership had been short sighted and canned these guys after their terrible first seasons.

They almost always get a first year pass with me, that said, retreads who have failed elsewhere, is a bit different. I was not surprised Chip Kelly got canned, even then I feel they should have given him another year or should have never hired the guy in the first place. When I considers how Kelly did things so different in the NFL offensively, and of course they knew that going in, I would think that they would have given him another year based on that alone.

Developing innovation takes time, and getting the right pieces, rather than the ones you inherit, takes even more.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he'll go 0-16. If he is as good as the FO wants everyone to believe he is, he won't go winless but like everything else in the NFL, it won't surprise me if it indeed does happen.

At least the Rams have all of their 2018 draft picks?

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may not get a pass from you but I'd bet donuts to dollars he gets a pass from the Rams FO.

So, if he goes winless, or has but 1 win closing out the 2017 season, are you going to call for his head 88?

No, I wouldn't call for his head, but I would be extremely disappointed.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the complete list of coaches for the 2017 Los Angeles Rams:

Sean McVay (Head Coach) – McVay has been the offensive coordinator for the Washington Redskins under head coach Jay Gruden for the past three seasons. Prior to that he was the tight ends coach for the Redskins. He began his coaching career in 2008 as an assistant to Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay.

John Fassel (Special Teams Coordinator) – Served as the Rams’ special teams coordinator for the past five seasons where his units have consistently finished in the top tier of league rankings. Was Los Angeles’ interim head coach for the final three games of 2016. Led the Oakland Raiders’ special teams (2008-11) and served as an assistant in Baltimore (2005-07) prior to joining the Rams in 2012. Is the son of former Giants Head Coach Jim Fassel.

Matt LaFleur (Offensive Coordinator) – Entering his first NFL season as an offensive coordinator following a two-year stint with the Atlanta Falcons (2015-16) coaching quarterbacks, where he concluded the 2016 season with an NFC Championship title. Held the same position with the Washington Redskins (2010-13) where he coached alongside McVay. First NFL coaching position came in 2008 where he served as an offensive assistant with the Houston Texans (2008-09). Made five collegiate coaching stops over the course of his career which began in 2003 at his alma mater, Saginaw Valley State.

Wade Phillips (Defensive Coordinator) – Brings 39 seasons of coaching experience to Los Angeles, which includes 25 as a coordinator (seven teams) and nine as a full-time head coach (three teams). Previously held the same position with the Denver Broncos the past two seasons where he helped led the club to a victory in Super Bowl 50. Named Assistant Coach of the Year twice by the Pro Football Writers of America (2011 & 2015). Started his NFL career with the Houston Oilers under his father, Head Coach Bum Phillips.

Joe Barry (Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers) – Now in his 16th NFL season, including four as a defensive coordinator with the Washington Redskins (2015-16) and the Detroit Lions (2007-08). In his first stint coaching linebackers for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, he helped lead the team to their first championship with a 48-21 win over the Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII.

Thad Bogardus (Defensive Quality Control) – Joins the Rams for his fourth season as an NFL assistant. Started his NFL career in 2014 with the Buffalo Bills as a defensive quality control coach and went to the Denver Broncos for the 2015 and 2016 seasons. Began his career as a graduate assistant at Ball State (2012-13).

Andy Dickerson (Assistant Offensive Line) Enters his 11th NFL season and sixth with the Rams after serving as an assistant for the Cleveland Browns and New York Jets. Also worked in operations for the New England Patriots and played offensive line at Tufts University in Boston.

Ejiro Evero (Safeties) – Begins his first season with Los Angeles after spending 2016 as the defensive quality control coach for the Green Bay Packers. Spent five seasons with the San Francisco 49ers (2011-2015) as a defensive assistant, offensive assistant and quality control coach. Name is pronounced e-JEE-row EV-uh-row.

Bill Johnson (Defensive Line) – Coached defensive line for nearly four decades and boasts 16 years of NFL experience. Comes to Los Angeles from New Orleans where he developed the Saints defensive line for eight years. Served in the same role with the Denver Broncos (2007-08) and the Atlanta Falcons (2001-06). Son, Billy, is entering his fifth year with the Rams as an area scout.

Aaron Kromer (Offensive Line) – Was the Buffalo Bills’ offensive line coach the last two seasons and prior to that, served as the offensive coordinator/offensive line coach of the Chicago Bears (2013-14). Other NFL stops include the New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Oakland Raiders. Coached nine years on the collegiate level prior to entering the NFL ranks.

Zak Kromer (Offensive Quality Control) – Comes to Los Angeles after coaching in the same capacity for the Buffalo Bills during the 2016 season. Prior to joining the Bills, he was a student assistant for the University of Oklahoma’s football team.

Greg Olson (Quarterbacks) – Joins the Rams for his second coaching stint with the club where he previously served as an offensive coordinator from 2006-07. Resume includes nine seasons as an offensive coordinator in the NFL with four franchises and 30 years total of coaching experience.

Skip Peete (Running Backs) Veteran of 18 seasons as an NFL assistant returns to Los Angeles for his second season. His previous coaching stops include coaching running backs for the Chicago Bears, Dallas Cowboys, and Oakland Raiders. His father, Willie, was a longtime college and NFL coach, and his brother, Rodney, played 16 seasons as an NFL quarterback.

Aubrey Pleasant (Cornerbacks) – Coached with McVay at the Washington Redskins for four seasons beginning in 2013. Started his NFL career as an offensive assistant in Washington before transitioning to a defensive quality control a year later. Became the Redskins’ assistant defensive backs coach in 2016.

Ted Rath (Strength and Conditioning) – Enters his ninth NFL season and first with Los Angeles after spending 2016 with the Miami Dolphins as the club’s strength and conditioning coach and the previous seven seasons with the Detroit Lions in the same capacity (2009-15).

Chris Shula (Assistant Linebackers) – Hired as a defensive quality control by the San Diego Chargers in 2015 and previously served as defensive coordinator at John Carroll University. Played college football with McVay at Miami (Ohio) and is the son of former Bengals Head Coach David Shula and grandson of Don Shula, Hall of Fame head coach of the Colts and Dolphins.

Zac Taylor (Assistant Wide Receivers) – Comes to Los Angeles after spending 2016 as the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach for the Cincinnati Bearcats. Began his NFL coaching career coaching quarterbacks for the Miami Dolphins staff in 2012 and was named offensive coordinator in 2015. His brother, Press, is an assistant coach with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Shane Waldron (Tight Ends) – Was a member of the Washington Redskins’ staff last season and served as the team’s offensive quality control coach. His other professional football coaching experience includes the wide receivers for the Hartford Colonials (UFL), and tight ends and offensive quality control for the New England Patriots.

Eric Yarber (Wide Receivers) – Most recently coached wide receivers at UCLA dating back to 2012 after two seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and five seasons in the NFL overall. Other coaching stops include the Seattle Seahawks, Oregon State, San Francisco 49ers, University of Washington and Arizona State. Was drafted by the Washington Redskins in 1986 and was part of the team that won Super Bowl XXII.

Source: Rams Announce 2017 Full Coaching Staff
Follow us: @NBCLA on Twitter | NBCLA on Facebook

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks damn good BattleLyon. I like the change in attitude as well. Now begins the process of getting rid of players and personnel that have undisciplined, losing attitudes. It'll be interesting to see who goes and who arrives.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be very interesting to see this team under new leadership...

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be very interesting to see this team under new leadership...

This staff seems to have a lot more experience, minus McVay that is for sure. The smartest thing McVay did is hire an very experienced staff. At least he has a chance to learn from his mistakes and not stuck in his old non working ways like Fisher. Fisher approached every season the same way, that is the wrong way to do it.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ill call it early, 0-16 baby

We always seem to beat Seattle some how, so I'm thinking more like 2-14! :martini:

McVay is being handed a mess! But I do believe that he will improve this team overtime!

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams usually respond well to a coaching change so I predict they do better than 7-9