• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyrie to Boston rumors heating up. Deal nearly complete

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iirc, Lebron couldn't keep doing 1+1 based on a rule in the CBA. Having said that, why did Lebron not sign a long term deal yet with Cleveland?

Oooooooh...oooooooh.... I know this one!

35508829-Asian-girl-raising-hand-in-multi-ethnic-elementary-classroom--Stock-Photo.jpg

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was looking at those contracts for Whiteside and @bksballer89 was right-- Whiteside's last year IS a player option for 27M in '19-'20

the top 10 highest players in the NBA this year?

1. Curry- 34.7
2. Bron- 33.2
3. Milsap- 31.2
4. Hayward- 29.7
5. Griffin- 29.5
6. Lowry- 28.7
7. Conley- 28.5
8. RW- 28.5
9. Harden- 28.3
10. DeRozan- 27.7

#5, 6, 7....

:gaah:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the REALLY funny thing is this trade might be the thing that saves LeBron staying in Cleveland.

You'll know soon enough.
No chance Gilbert trades the pick unless James signs an extension.
James no doubt will want the pick traded as far as trying to win this year.

As far this year, there is no way to estimate the extent of this hip injury. If might be fine early season, or it could be a season long thing. Until he's running and playing it's a total guess.

If the Cavs decide to not re sigh I.T. (assuming James stays), would they have any cap space next year?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'll know soon enough.
No chance Gilbert trades the pick unless James signs an extension.
James no doubt will want the pick traded as far as trying to win this year.

As far this year, there is no way to estimate the extent of this hip injury. If might be fine early season, or it could be a season long thing. Until he's running and playing it's a total guess.

If the Cavs decide to not re sigh I.T. (assuming James stays), would they have any cap space next year?
assuming James stays?

highly unlikely--- i mean- James and Love alone are about 70M.....35 for Bron and about 24 for Love.

Jr and TT together at about 30 already get you to over 100

Korver and Crowder each at 7.

all though- you MIGHT be able to do a s&t for Thomas since after he left youd be under the tax apron. Im not exactly sure how that would work since its not a situation that is common.

this is assuming Shump is dealt which i think he will be.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
assuming James stays?

highly unlikely--- i mean- James and Love alone are about 70M.....35 for Bron and about 24 for Love.

Jr and TT together at about 30 already get you to over 100

Korver and Crowder each at 7.

all though- you MIGHT be able to do a s&t for Thomas since after he left youd be under the tax apron. Im not exactly sure how that would work since its not a situation that is common.

this is assuming Shump is dealt which i think he will be.

Season for sure just got more interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say it again- as I said it last week

considering the Cavs lack of leverage- i thought that KI could have been dealt for something like Wiggins and cap flotsam- or Bender and Bledsoe- or Middleton and Brogdon obviously---- and the Cavs would get MAYBE, if they were lucky- 70 cents on the dollar- if not less.

This trade is at LEAST 90 cents on the dollar- if not more.

but it both shocks me and gladdens me that the Cavs were able to find a deal like this- esp. considering that the Celtics would not give up the Brooklyn pick for George or Butler who I consider both better players than Kyrie-- and on top of that to get Crowder, a 2nd rounder, Zizic, and Thomas is far and up and beyond what I could have imagined them getting considering their bargaining position.

Thomas of course has the very real health concerns- but with a competent backup like DRose- if Thomas has to sit out for November, and maybe December- that should be okay. Mo Williams started for the Cavs for over 2 months while Kyrie was recovering from his knee injury--- and Rose is better than an ancient Mo Williams.

The playoffs are what matters. Hopefully Thomas will be fully healthy, and ready to make the deepest playoff run of his career. We know he will be supremely motivated as he will be in a contract year and was stabbed in the back by a Boston front office right after they used him to recruit and lobby for them. Little did he know that his recruiting and lobbying and extolling of the Celtics organization would lead to his own demise there.

oh yah

and he gets to play with LeBron. :thumb:

It is 130 cents on the dollar.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saying worst case scenario-- all doom and gloom

that James leaves and they let IT walk after this year

Cavs draft would be their own first rounder- likely back half of the 20's, and then the Brooklyn pick.

The contracts that would not be easy to move would be JR, TT and Korver- each with 2 years left

Love would have 1 year left with an additional player option year- but he could be moved easily for picks. Crowder could also easily be moved for a solid first rounder considering he would have 2 years 14 Million left on his deal.

So--- this offseason you get a stud from the Brooklyn pick and the Cavs own pick.

The following year you tank hard--- get rid of Crowder and Love for picks ideally--- maybe take back some bad contracts in order to get better picks- a la Baron Davis......2018/2019 would not be fun

you then keep your pick that does not transfer to the Hawks for Korver since its a high lotto pick---- add big time building block #2 to the Brooklyn pick- and whatever lower round rook you draft with your own pick

the following year ---- 2019/2020 you tank again for the 2nd straight year. Maybe move TT or JR in their expiring years- take back some shitty deals from other teams and take their draft picks just like the Cavs did before......draft big time building block #3 after the season---- if Korver/Jr/Tristan havent already been dealt they come off the books and you have clean books unless you taken back shit from other teams for their draft picks which is certainly a possibility.

Then you START trying to be decent- not great- but decent--- prob lotto again, but not high lotto in 2020/2021....those 3 young building blocks- and whatever extra picks you have--- you see what you got between them.....maybe make a deal or two to figure out your roster....but all in all- you are prob about where the Lakers are right now--- looking at a season that - while- you wont make the playoffs- is your first big step forward--- kind of like the Sixers this year maybe since you are in the East

then in 2021/2022- you have your building blocks, all your cap room, some extra picks--- make a trade for a stud- and go out and sign one.....

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could move TT.

Jr you'd have to wait a year because year 4 is only partially guaranteed. That could be an asset for a team looking to cap dump.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...to summarize- if James leaves and they let IT walk:

Offseason: Use Cavs own pick and Brooklyn pick

'18-'19: Tank. Cavs own their own pick. Cavs own Brooklyn pick. Tank. Use the cap room from LeBron and IT leaving- and any Love or Crowder trade to take on another teams bad contracts. Washington- you want to get off Ian Mahimi? give us your first rounder. Knicks- you want someone to talk Noah's AWFUL contract off your hands? give a COUPLE picks/assets etc.

offseason: TT and Jr and Korver are expiring-- take some other peoples bad shit on in exchange for them for future picks/assets. Draft a stud with the Cavs own pick- add building block #2 to the Brooklyn pick.

'19-'20: Tank. At this point JR and TT and Korver are expiring-- offer to take on other teams bad contracts for more picks assets. Play the young guys. Whoever wants to get rid of a guy to open up cap space, facilitate a trade- give us your first rounder-- Cavs will take your garbage and pay them. Dan can afford it (like Baron Davis or Luke Walton or Maurise Speights/Wayne Ellington etc.)

offseason: Use Cavs pick to add another high ceiling building block to the Brooklyn pick and their previous high lotto pick. Use any other picks you acquired. Now you have 3 elite building blocks- (i) Brooklyn pick, (ii) Cavs pick from the year before, (iii) Cavs pick from this year. Probably have at least 3-4 other first rounders from Love/Crowder/Taking other peoples garbage.

'20-21: Dont tank- but you are not going for it yet- want to show progress- want to see how the guys play together. Figure out who is good- who is not- and who you might be able to trade for with extra picks/young players. Dont take any bad contracts in preperation for the offseason where you make a splash in free agency

offseason- draft another lotto talent or trade it for a player. Use your oodles of cap space to bring in a guy who fits the roster and doesnt play the position of the 3-4 studs you drafted. Make your move. Rebuild is OVER. Now its time to develop these guys and make incremental progress---- make the playoffs this year. Get some momentum. Get ready to beat the shit out of the getting expensive fast Celtics and Sixers in a year or two.

dude- id be waaaaaaaaaaay better at this than Pat Riley at this point. Right @Wamu ?

Last edited:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...to summarize- if James leaves and they let IT walk:

Offseason: Use Cavs own pick and Brooklyn pick

'18-'19: Tank. Cavs own their own pick. Cavs own Brooklyn pick. Tank. Use the cap room from LeBron and IT leaving- and any Love or Crowder trade to take on another teams bad contracts. Washington- you want to get off Ian Mahimi? give us your first rounder. Knicks- you want someone to talk Noah's AWFUL contract off your hands? give a COUPLE picks/assets etc.

offseason: TT and Jr and Korver are expiring-- take some other peoples bad shit on in exchange for them for future picks/assets. Draft a stud with the Cavs own pick- add building block #2 to the Brooklyn pick.

'19-'20: Tank. At this point JR and TT and Korver are expiring-- offer to take on other teams bad contracts for more picks assets. Play the young guys. Whoever wants to get rid of a guy to open up cap space, facilitate a trade- give us your first rounder-- Cavs will take your garbage and pay them. Dan can afford it (like Baron Davis or Luke Walton or Maurise Speights/Wayne Ellington etc.)

offseason: Use Cavs pick to add another high ceiling building block to the Brooklyn pick and their previous high lotto pick. Use any other picks you acquired. Now you have 3 elite building blocks- (i) Brooklyn pick, (ii) Cavs pick from the year before, (iii) Cavs pick from this year. Probably have at least 3-4 other first rounders from Love/Crowder/Taking other peoples garbage.

'20-21: Dont tank- but you are not going for it yet- want to show progress- want to see how the guys play together. Figure out who is good- who is not- and who you might be able to trade for with extra picks/young players. Dont take any bad contracts in preperation for the offseason where you make a splash in free agency

offseason- draft another lotto talent or trade it for a player. Use your oodles of cap space to bring in a guy who fits the roster and doesnt play the position of the 3-4 studs you drafted. Make your move. Rebuild is OVER. Now its time to develop these guys and make incremental progress---- make the playoffs this year. Get some momentum. Get ready to beat the shit out of the getting expensive fast Celtics and Sixers in a year or two.

dude- id be waaaaaaaaaaay better at this than Pat Riley at this point. Right @Wamu ?

When you summarize, it's supposed be shorter than what you were summarizing.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop and think what they put IT through.
They leaked rumors that he was basically damaged goods. IT is coming up on a huge pay day next off-season, potentially... and they left him twisting in the wind on this for about a week.
All to get an extra 2nd rounder in 2020.
Take off the homer glasses... this is a crappy way to deal with players.

I'd guess this will make IT focused on showing that he can come back ASAP and play well.

Yup -- Cavs are screwed.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, thats my bad. i forgot how that protected pick worked. sixers...
as far as "coming home"...he has a massive PR team, and had to cover his "talents to south beach" tracks.

LeBron James' mom, wife didn't want him to return to Cleveland Cavaliers
"For me when I decided to go back and I talked to Mav and Rich and Randy and everybody, I had to let them know some people were on the fence," James said. "Even my wife was like, my momma and my wife was like, 'I'm not with that.' My mom was definitely like, '[expletive] that, we ain't going back.'"
"For me personally, when I decided to go back to Cleveland, I had to decide like, because our owner at the time when I left decided to put out this article that we all know about where he bashed me and disrespected not only me as an individual, but disrespected my name," James said in the video. "My name is not just myself, it's my wife, my kids, my grandfather, my mother, so many more people."
he HAD to go back there after the weay he left. the fans of cleveland call him a home town kid. lebron doesnt. hes from akron, which may as well be the moon relative to cleveland.

Great quote. That is why it is funny that people think they know what Lebron is going to do next year. Even the night before he decided to go back to Cleveland -- his wife & mom did not know what he was going to do. But people on "Sporthoopla" say they know what he is going to do 1 year ahead of time.

Windhorst's book describes Lebron's process very well. At this point, outsiders (or probably even insiders" have no idea of what he is really planning. (he may not even know at this point) If they say they do, they are guessing.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great quote. That is why it is funny that people think they know what Lebron is going to do next year. Even the night before he decided to go back to Cleveland -- his wife & mom did not know what he was going to do. But people on "Sporthoopla" say they know what he is going to do 1 year ahead of time.

Windhorst's book describes Lebron's process very well. At this point, outsiders (or probably even insiders" have no idea of what he is really planning. (he may not even know at this point) If they say they do, they are guessing.
LeBron DEFINITELY doesnt know at this point.

Anything can happen. If they trade for Gasol and win a title- ya think hes leaving?

If Kevin Love throws his back out and IT has surgery and they lose in the ECF- hes gone as fast as can be.

If Steph Curry or Durant- 2 guys that have missed substantial time in their careers have injury issues during the playoffs-- good aternoon, good evening and goodnight. Cavs get #2 walking away.

If Thomas plays his balls off and has a magical post season run playing with the best 2 players he has EVER played with- guys that will give him more spacing and less double teams than he has seen in his LIFETIME- and Crowder takes a leap and goes from a very good defender to a great defender- Love benefits from Kyrie leaving and looks like the ALL NBA player he was on Minne for a while etc...

there are just so many variables at this point.

And the whole "irreperable" relationship with Dan doesnst make sense. You really think Dan and LeBron havent hated eachother this whole time? If LeBron is going to own a franchise someday- i gotta think the Cavs are VERY VERY high on his list as he could stay right at home- and i could def. see Dan selling someday---- but ya think Dan is gonna sell to LeBron if left in the lurch again?

like you said- LeBron doesnt even know right now--- everything else is just speculation.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you summarize, it's supposed be shorter than what you were summarizing.
its KIND of the same blueprint the LAkers used- except shorter because they already have the brooklyn pick- and didnt deal away big time lightly protected picks.

Hopefully if it comes to this--- which- i think its about 60% lebron stays--- so i dont think it will- but if it does--- there will be 2 really hard seasons---- and then the Cavs will be back in good shape.

I just like that so much better than the option of say resigning an IT and winning between 38 and 44 games and getting the crap kicked out of you in the first round.

hey- some fans may be happy with that--- but i just think its a terrible way to do things--- but there are plenty of teams that are doing just that.