• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Kings v Preds

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Kings get the important two points (in OT)

Iginla two goals and Gaborik the other, all on the power play. Gaborik two gaffes lead to the two Nashville goals. Quick was awesome, made a huge save when it was needed.

Goal 1 Iginla's 1st goal as a King

Goal 2 Gaborik

Goal 3 Iginla on the power play after Nashville gets caught with too many men on the ice in OT

Quick huge save

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
88 with more goals in one night than Anson Carter had in his trade deadline LA Kings career.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good win. They love to give up early period goals, but they really rallied and got the 2 points.

Typical LA vibes though, as tix were down to $10 on StubHub for last night's game, and $14 for Monday. Probably going to have to go see them play the Blues on Monday. I would like to see the Caps Saturday but I have a wedding.

I was looking at St. Louis's schedule and they have it pretty easy (Phoenix 3 or 4 times down the stretch, plus Carolina and Colorado). Them or Nashville are the most realistic teams LA could catch (And they are looking maybe less realistic these days). Calgary can't stop winning and are significantly ahead of LA now.

Kings definitely have their work cutout for them, but if they get in, it means they're playing well down the stretch, and there's always that hope come Playoff time.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both those goals are "goal scorer" goals....that's what we need from him, very good to see

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Good win. They love to give up early period goals, but they really rallied and got the 2 points.

Typical LA vibes though, as tix were down to $10 on StubHub for last night's game, and $14 for Monday. Probably going to have to go see them play the Blues on Monday. I would like to see the Caps Saturday but I have a wedding.

I was looking at St. Louis's schedule and they have it pretty easy (Phoenix 3 or 4 times down the stretch, plus Carolina and Colorado). Them or Nashville are the most realistic teams LA could catch (And they are looking maybe less realistic these days). Calgary can't stop winning and are significantly ahead of LA now.

Kings definitely have their work cutout for them, but if they get in, it means they're playing well down the stretch, and there's always that hope come Playoff time.

Yup Calgary is out of sight at this point. Need to focus on the Blues but of course, relying on the Quacks proved to be too much. Blues score with 19 seconds left in the game and Quacks lose 4-3 in regulation. Blues now up 3 points and as you noted, they have a pretty light schedule.

Last edited:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that weren't so sad, it would be funny.

Went on to score 33 goals I think the next season for Vancouver. The Kings were in disarray when he was here from an organizational standpoint, so I get it.

Also when LA acquired him it was the last season of "clutch and grab" hockey before the lockout and then the game opened up when they all came back in 2005-06 but for him to have one lousy assist in 15 games with LA, leave and score 33 says something considering he averaged 23 goals from 1998-2003 in that same era with mostly Edmonton.

I also remember him asking for a 3 year/$9 million deal from Vancouver (they offered 2 years/$3.6 million) after that 33 goal season when he played on a line with the Sedins. Vancouver is one shit bin of an organization but I have to give them credit for not caving and letting him walk. That was a career year and he never came close afterwards and was out of the NHL in 2 years.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calgary is untouchable at this point unless they go on a 10 game losing streak, and even the Blues are in a better position because of their schedule but they are the target.

The Kings have zero room for error at this point. If the Kings miss the POs, taking the last 4 seasons into account (2013-14 Cup, 2014-15 no playoffs, 2015-16 WCQFs loss, 2016-17 no playoffs) you can say goodbye to this management regime. Never been a fan of Blake as a player, don't know enough about him as an executive but I'm almost positive he is being groomed to take over that GM position anyway.

Personally while I think Dumbo did a great job and accomplished what he set to when he took the job 11 years ago, it is time for him to go anyway. The guy is stubborn as all hell and sometimes that attitude has helped them and others it has killed them.

Need a GM who is a little more flexible than that and can adapt to what's necessary.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings need someone that can adapt with the roster and needs....I don't think Lombardi is that guy. He got the team to the pinnacle but I don't think he has the foresight to keep it there

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings need someone that can adapt with the roster and needs....I don't think Lombardi is that guy. He got the team to the pinnacle but I don't think he has the foresight to keep it there

I'll forever be thankful to the guy for what he did and honestly to build a franchise the way he did, it's something not many GMs can do.

Ken Holland comes to mind but then that's about it - other GMs walked into projects that were close or already underway, the Kings completely gutted the organization from top to bottom (including the sanitation company that emptied the facility trash, not sure if you guys knew/remembered that - that is how badly he wanted the "loser stank" off this franchise) and he built a juggernaut. Dumbo has always been known as a "builder" so I had faith in him because he built SJ up but couldn't get them over the top and I figured he is smart enough to do it right this time and he did.

Now having had a team at the top however, I agree that he hasn't exactly figured out how to keep them there, but by natural career progression/experience I expect him to get that part of the deal down next time wherever he ends up.

In LA he has pretty much been a "you either fit in this box or don't" kind of guy and while it has paid dividends at times other times he has looked inept.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps I am too loyal (kinda like Lombardi to Richards). But regardless of how they finish this season, I still think they should give Deano through July (Expansion Draft, regular Draft, Free agency).

Everyone knows about the bad contracts and trade gambles. Yes, Lombardi has tied their hands with those. But a lot that would have mitigated if it weren't for the terrible Voynov situation (still think they find a way to re-instate Voynov and trade him this summer).

I think they view the Vegas team / Expansion draft as an opportunity..... not a hindrance. Its an opportunity to ditch one of the hefty contracts (Brown or Gaborik). Sure, it will cost the Kings something to lose one those contracts, but it will open up cap space for something else. I think they give Lombardi the chance to navigate the Kings through July and see how he does. Perhaps naming his successor in waiting to some kind of "Associate GM" position.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they will let Dumbo go before all of that, it's too close and getting someone up to speed or making an organizational shift wouldn't be a great idea. I do think he is on borrowed time however and something really needs to change between now and the end of the season.

While I see your point about the contracts, Richards, Voynov, etc. I also feel he shouldn't get a pass for not being able to correct those situations. In Richards' case he had not one but two get out of jail free passes but his stubborn attitude handcuffed LA. Were it not for a legal situation, which was a stroke of luck, that Richards himself got into, his declining play and his contract are still here. Voynov was unfortunate, he is a T2 defender and no combination of McNabb/Gravel/Forbert/etc can replace that. But it was up to him to try and do so and he could not.

My point is all GMs get into hot water, but they should also get themselves out of it. The Kings have been trending downward the last 3 seasons and that is a clear result of decisions he has made (or has not made).

The game has also somewhat changed and I think a hybrid speed/heavy team is the way to go and most of this roster does not have that first part.