• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kings acquire Ben Bishop

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Insurance for Quick's groin.

Would rather have an experienced 900 foot tall goalie like Bishop over Budaj, who has a career 5.10 GAA/.843 SP stats in 7 career games (0-2, so he always came in on relief it looks like overall or was pulled most of the time). Last PO game for him was 1 game in 2013-14 for the Habs and he has never appeared in more than 3 total PO games in one season (2007-08, Nordalanche).

I think it is a good move swapping for an experienced, battle tested veteran. Also had an expiring contract so he could be either resigned or flipped before July 1.

Don't think Dumbo is done yet either.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whaaaaa? :hmm:

Gotta be a trade to a team Tampa wouldn't trade Bishop to

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bishop has an 8 team no-trade list so he had a hand in this one. Also reading the Lightning retained $1.9 million, so if my math is right LA's hit is about $1.1 million.

Will take that and his experience over Budaj any day of the week.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing I don't like is next year.
Kings won't be able to sign Bishop
Budaj coukd have been signed cheap to back up Quick.
Next year Zatkoff and Campbell will be fighting to back up Quick. Ugh
Quick is going to have to play every game.
Sutter didn't like Budaj for some reason. I think he did better than anyone, including himself could have predicted.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that this is probably a precursor to something else. Cernak was our 2nd Rd pick last year, which I do not love. Eventually we will need to rebuild the minors.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think considering the circumstances Budaj played great. He was a nice story too, out of the NHL to 53 NHL game appearances in one season. He did the best he could and I hope he parlays that into a contract at the NHL level next season. He has earned it and he was well liked by the guys.

That said, I do believe you are right, I think Sutter lost patience with him especially the last month. That's partially on Sutter, Budaj is not Quick and he should not have had the same expectations, part of that is on Budaj with the increasing number of softies the last month and it is partially on Dumbo for not getting Budaj quality backup help when it was obvious - as in Game 1 when he spelled Quick - that Zatkoff was not going to be dependable.

Backup goalie is not an enviable position in LA and has not been for a half decade but there are plenty of guys hitting GIII UFA status this summer so it shouldn't be a problem - Miller, Darling, Bernier, Leighton, Elliott, Mason, Pavelec, the list goes on.

Losing Bishop won't be a huge deal, but what would be is if they pulled off a sign and trade. Bishop is a solid number one and has a market - Dallas and Buffalo come to mind immediately.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like I jumped the gun and posted incorrect information, Tampa is retaining only 20% of his salary so the Kings have a $4.76 million hit on their books for Bishop. It won't really matter down the road since cap space increases as the season moves along.

Just read LAKI and two things:

- Dumbo said Bishop is not an insurance policy, he will be playing to ease Quick back into the rotation. He said expect him to play one of the next two games against Minnesota or Calgary.

- Sutter on Budaj:

While Budaj is among the most responsible for solidifying the Kings’ season after the team lost Quick after the first period of the season, he has wilted in February under a very heavy workload and is 2-6-0 with a 3.03 goals-against average and an .884 save percentage over his last eight starts. Darryl Sutter credited this to Jeff Zatkoff not being able to provide the goaltending necessary for a healthy balance in net. “…Peter Budaj’s given us a lot of quality starts this year, and if you look at it, we were fortunate to still be in a playoff race,” he said after Saturday’s win over Anaheim. “If it wasn’t for him with 27 wins in 58 or [59] starts, whatever he’s got, that hasn’t been a problem for us. The problem has been the other guy starting.”

Pretty much what we have all been saying. Will say I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw Budaj's play was slipping big time, which is what prompted this move. It has to suck for Zatkoff to hear that but this is a game of results and he has shown he is not an NHL caliber goalie unfortunately.

With Bishop in LA now, he will be assigned to Ontario most likely. No need to clear Waivers and the Kings will not carry 3 goalies on the roster.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with sign and trade is tagging. Can't sign Bishop to a deal that puts them too much over the cap. Not a big concern and I don't know where they actually stand on the cap. Also Bishop may not want to sign. If he is signed for next year without a NTC then there is a good chance the Golden Knights would take him. He may not want that.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if Vegas came to terms with Bishop, Kings wouldn't be losing anyone else. Maybe that is the play afterall. Play Bishop 50-50 with Quick to ease him back in, then lose Big Ben to Vegas. If that is case, then Kings traded Cernak, Budaj, and 7th rounder in order too keep all D-men, Lewis, etc, etc....

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if Vegas came to terms with Bishop, Kings wouldn't be losing anyone else. Maybe that is the play afterall. Play Bishop 50-50 with Quick to ease him back in, then lose Big Ben to Vegas. If that is case, then Kings traded Cernak, Budaj, and 7th rounder in order too keep all D-men, Lewis, etc, etc....

That's an interesting point actually. That would certainly be nice to see Bishop sign with Vegas and basically protect everyone else.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Puck. I think you're right overall, it just stinks to ship Budaj out so easily. I get it, and his play did slip lately, but man this team would be dead to rights without him. Considering all of goalless periods and offensive struggles.

Best of luck to him going forward.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an interesting point actually. That would certainly be nice to see Bishop sign with Vegas and basically protect everyone else.

Sounds good in theory, but that doesn't solve the Brown or Gaborik problem unless Dumbo has something up his sleeve for the summer which even then isn't a guarantee.

I would rather have cap space at this point to make some moves to alter the roster to be elite again vs. keeping the team intact and meddling around like they have been the last 2 years.

If that means losing someone off the roster who isn't protected I am all for that, although I think losing Lewis would be the biggest loss.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds good in theory, but that doesn't solve the Brown or Gaborik problem unless Dumbo has something up his sleeve for the summer which even then isn't a guarantee.

I would rather have cap space at this point to make some moves to alter the roster to be elite again vs. keeping the team intact and meddling around like they have been the last 2 years.

If that means losing someone off the roster who isn't protected I am all for that, although I think losing Lewis would be the biggest loss.

I don't think it's realistic to think Vegas will take bad contracts off of our hands. At least if Bishop goes, it saves a guy like Lewis.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reading that the Kings have 4 back to backs and will average a game every other night until season's end, so this trade was partly because they don't want to overwork Quick/risk injury. They also didn't trust Budaj for the stretch run.