• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kind of Quiet For an AWESOME WEEK!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey!

Where did everyone go? Especially during a week that saw the WV Basketball team have arguably their biggest win of the year......and a rock star recruiting class!?!

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been waiting for Diehard's breakdown of the games. Funny to read that Florida's fans were chanting overrated. 1 hot game and they are all the rage. Too funny.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been waiting for Diehard's breakdown of the games. Funny to read that Florida's fans were chanting overrated. 1 hot game and they are all the rage. Too funny.

The team is not close to being overrated! Every team is going to have a flat game..or in this case have its rotation disrupted with Holton...pretty much put to bed at Iowa State and last night against Baylor...interesting to see Huggins back off of the press for an entire game philosophy...certainly has helped their shooting percentage..

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss the conversation on this board. Thanks for making some posts.

Love watching the BBall team this year. Huggs amazes me with this group of pedestrian, little if any hope of making the NBA group.

As far as recruiting, "Rock Stars"I think Kayzir picks up where Sands and Joseph left off. Ferns will the next Kwitikowski but with more stars coming in. This looks like a good class but bring in the 30's will not make me expect championships. Holgs has been doing a good job of coaching them up and these guys will probably play like a top 20 class. We should be respectable in the next couple of years. While we get some good skill positions, D back and linebackers, the class seems light on big blockers and pass rushers.

I don't expect to be on the list of people wanting to buy playoff tickets come next December.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss the conversation on this board. Thanks for making some posts.

Love watching the BBall team this year. Huggs amazes me with this group of pedestrian, little if any hope of making the NBA group.

As far as recruiting, "Rock Stars"I think Kayzir picks up where Sands and Joseph left off. Ferns will the next Kwitikowski but with more stars coming in. This looks like a good class but bring in the 30's will not make me expect championships. Holgs has been doing a good job of coaching them up and these guys will probably play like a top 20 class. We should be respectable in the next couple of years. While we get some good skill positions, D back and linebackers, the class seems light on big blockers and pass rushers.

I don't expect to be on the list of people wanting to buy playoff tickets come next December.

Glad you brought up the ranking..I think we all get lost in the number and we really don't know what it means or how its weighted.

Scout works from the grass roots and then reports up. We have a Team of Scouts around the country including local scouts that work smaller areas that submit their rankings to a regional manager. The regional manager will compile the rankings from the local scouts in his area then submit his compiled list to the National Editors. A final conference call between the regional managers and the national editors results in a compiled list of national rankings.

So essentially its a subjective number based off of their teams analysis..and then here is the kicker..

The position points are a 100 point sliding scale based on the total number of players ranked. Using the No. 100 for quarterbacks is just an example, very few positions have exactly 100 players ranked.

The Team Rankings are compiled of the Top 25 players per class. Some teams will over-sign, but only 25 count towards the Team Rankings

So if you have a glut of QB's perse then some players who rankings could have been higher if the pool was smaller..or turn it around and you have a small pool a player could be over ranked!....but the next criteria is crazy..for instance Wv took in 27 players, their overall rank was on 25 players..and which ones did they use????..and why wouldn't all the players count if you signed them!!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't climb the rankings but we DID fill some needs and imo may have slipped in a few sleepers on NSD.

I stand amazed at what the basketball team has been able to do minus Holton and the potential turmoil from his absence. Fantastic job :clap:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get too wrapped up in the whole eval of recruiting classes. You never know how these things will turn out. Unfortunately, WVU lost out on some high school prospects at CB late in the fall, and had to go JUCO to fill these spots. Unsure if a JUCO DB has made an immediate impact in the past for WVU... but, at least they'll be game ready in 2 years to help. With some of the kids transferring at this position recently... there was a void to fill.

As always, WVU is having trouble getting DL. Looks like the LB's they recruited are solid, but we'll learn in a few years. Fortunately, Dana has done a good job recruiting kids who qualify and stay with his program... unless they've fallen too far in the depth chart and want to transfer.

But, Dana was brought to WVU to win NC's.... and he ain't anywhere close to winning one of those with this class.

Hopefully, Lyons will fire his ass after next season so WVU can get the top 10 recruiting classes it takes to give WVU fans what they deserve.

You can't win with classes like this bozo is bringing to Morgantown.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White, Ferns, Smothers are the sexy picks in this years class but probably my favorite "underrated" kids is JoVanni Stewart. Go watch his film and tell me why he was a 2* kid? Many say it's because of his size (5-9, 185lbs). He played for Katy, one of the top HS programs in TX. He reminds me so much of the Honey Badger...same size, quickness/agility/speed, and is somehow in on EVERY play it seems. Watch his film then be very excited about his future as a Mountaineer!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU still has a team????

I thought we ended the program because of all the unhappy big time donors.

Anyway...solid class that will surprise some. Filled voids but most importantly filled voids with talent and numbers.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get too wrapped up in the whole eval of recruiting classes. You never know how these things will turn out. Unfortunately, WVU lost out on some high school prospects at CB late in the fall, and had to go JUCO to fill these spots. Unsure if a JUCO DB has made an immediate impact in the past for WVU... but, at least they'll be game ready in 2 years to help. With some of the kids transferring at this position recently... there was a void to fill.

As always, WVU is having trouble getting DL. Looks like the LB's they recruited are solid, but we'll learn in a few years. Fortunately, Dana has done a good job recruiting kids who qualify and stay with his program... unless they've fallen too far in the depth chart and want to transfer.

But, Dana was brought to WVU to win NC's.... and he ain't anywhere close to winning one of those with this class.

Hopefully, Lyons will fire his ass after next season so WVU can get the top 10 recruiting classes it takes to give WVU fans what they deserve.

You can't win with classes like this bozo is bringing to Morgantown.

Sad truth, these poor kids have talent but will never know what it feels like to win more than 5-8 games. Truly a bittersweet time.
Also, Doc would have landed AT LEAST 3 5 star players, including the best DLineman in the country out of high school but.... well..... Thanks Ollie:frusty::Cry:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posters gotta stop blaming Luck... 'cause there is a new sheriff in town now.

Our lame ass AD should have canned Dana's ass and brought in a real coach like Doc. Lyons is such a dumbass he elected to keep Dana... then he cost Dana a bunch of recruits by not giving him an extension. Now... we're stuck with a POS coach and a bunch of kids who can't ball.... now... or in the future.

Thanks Shane... you stupid shit...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was listening to a local radio show here in DC this weekend and they had RC Slocum on....they were talking about recruiting classes...he made such a great points..or points... he said its not about the stars in most cases its about whether the kids you recruit fit your system...and the other point he made about measuring a successful class " Its not about the kid you didn't get, its the one you did get that can't play!"..whether it be overrating the kids talent or you didn't do the due diligence to make sure he was in position to qualify.or not having the right coaches to coach the talent up..that is what sets your program back....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what the fuck did Slocum ever win? He won nothing because he couldn't recruit neither.

Ask Saban if stars don't matter. Looks like he has more of them than anybody else...and he is winning NC's like no one else in the past 30+ years.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
recruiting class final top 5 rankings from 247 sports since 2012

1. Alabama
2. Texas
3. Florida State
4. Florida
5. Ohio State

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Florida
4. Michigan
5. Notre Dame

1. Alabama
2. LSU
3. Ohio State
4. Florida State
5. Texas A&M

1. Alabama
2. USC
3. Florida State
4. UT
5. Georgia

Ohio State (7)

UGA/Clemson/OU/LSU have all placed well (top 15ish) during that span as well.

Getting that guy that fits and developing him is great and may win ya a few games here and there but there is something to winning "star wars" if you want to compete for championships.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
recruiting class final top 5 rankings from 247 sports since 2012

1. Alabama
2. Texas
3. Florida State
4. Florida
5. Ohio State

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Florida
4. Michigan
5. Notre Dame

1. Alabama
2. LSU
3. Ohio State
4. Florida State
5. Texas A&M

1. Alabama
2. USC
3. Florida State
4. UT
5. Georgia

Ohio State (7)

UGA/Clemson/OU/LSU have all placed well (top 15ish) during that span as well.

Getting that guy that fits and developing him is great and may win ya a few games here and there but there is something to winning "star wars" if you want to compete for championships.

But that's 5 or 6 teams...and for the sake of argument What's Michigan or Georgia done? and USC since Carroll left? And if you really dissect it all those schools with the exception of Notre Dame are the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country.....But for the rest of the D-1 programs I think what Slocum said is applicable..

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it might be applicable.... you ain't winning nothing if you don't have the stars. No team has won a NC without having a top 10 class since 1998.

The days of the BE providing the easiest path to a NC are long gone....

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it might be applicable.... you ain't winning nothing if you don't have the stars. No team has won a NC without having a top 10 class since 1998.

The days of the BE providing the easiest path to a NC are long gone....

Is that for real about the 1998 stat?? Not being sarcastic...if so that's interesting..

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...sses-are-necessary-for-national-titles-020515

Since 1998 every team that has won a national title except for Oklahoma in 2000 has had at least two top ten national signing classes in the four years before a title. So while signing a top ten recruiting class doesn't guarantee that you're going to win a national title -- indeed, there are plenty of teams that don't -- for most of the past generation, you can't win a title without at least two top ten recruiting classes. More interestingly, every champion from the past nine years with the exception of Auburn in 2010 has had at least three top ten recruiting classes in the four years before it won a title.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like I made an oopsie... OU won a NC without a top 10 class.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like I made an oopsie... OU won a NC without a top 10 class.

Still pretty telling...be interested to see the breakdown by class, I would wager that the base of their recruiting class was in state.......