• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kilgore Signed to an Extension

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signed to a three year extension. Can't say I am excited about this. He wasn't very good and at times bad last year. I hope he isn't making much

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like you I'm not thrilled with Kilgore but hopefully someone better is also brought in that is better than him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I take this as positive news, because this coaching staff has seen him play a SEASON in THIS scheme. So there is a lot on tape to generate this extension. This isn't saying Kilgore is Pro Bowl starter for 3 years, but is saying they wouldn't extend him if it weren't for good performance.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take this as positive news, because this coaching staff has seen him play a SEASON in THIS scheme. So there is a lot on tape to generate this extension. This isn't saying Kilgore is Pro Bowl starter for 3 years, but is saying they wouldn't extend him if it weren't for good performance.

PFF ranked him something like 25th in NFL centers. Watching him play this year, he was overmatched against bigger dlineman and could never get push. Wasn't good at either run blocking or pass blocking. If it is a modest deal that would not prevent the team from bringing someone else in I am all for it. He would be valuable as a backup center or guard and could take Beadles spot who was downright awful this year.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found some numbers online that say the new Kilgore deal is for 12M total value with about 7M in guarantees. That would mean he's getting about 4M/year. That's middle of the league money.

For some reason, we've had 3 coaching staffs in a row that just weren't interested in investing assets on an upgrade at Center. I just don't get it. Kilgore is an average player on his good days.

We'd better hope that the team spends a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th on a center. Whether the coaching staff knows it or not, we need an upgrade.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found some numbers online that say the new Kilgore deal is for 12M total value with about 7M in guarantees. That would mean he's getting about 4M/year. That's middle of the league money.

For some reason, we've had 3 coaching staffs in a row that just weren't interested in investing assets on an upgrade at Center. I just don't get it. Kilgore is an average player on his good days.

We'd better hope that the team spends a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th on a center. Whether the coaching staff knows it or not, we need an upgrade.

I received a post from a niner fan claiming Jimmy G lobbied to have Kilgore resigned. IDK how much that played into it. Watching him play this year, I was not impressed and neither was PFF. His numbers went up with Jimmy G bec of his ability to get rid of the ball quickly. Not impressed with run blocking. No push from the interior line. Signing Weston Richburg would be a big upgrade

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe it's a decent deal given he can play the three interior positions. This in no way means the Niners won't try for an upgrade immediately.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signed to a three year extension. Can't say I am excited about this. He wasn't very good and at times bad last year. I hope he isn't making much
Never though particularly highly of the guy either and was surprised to hear that the 49ers had re-signing him as one of their top priorities.

I understand that Garopollo really likes him; perhaps that's why.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never though particularly highly of the guy either and was surprised to hear that the 49ers had re-signing him as one of their top priorities.

I understand that Garopollo really likes him; perhaps that's why.

So far the 49ers have signed two guys who are backup quality (Kilgore and Gilliam). I am hoping they have a plan to upgrade the position through the draft or FA

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far the 49ers have signed two guys who are backup quality (Kilgore and Gilliam). I am hoping they have a plan to upgrade the position through the draft or FA
I hope their assessment of his talent is more accurate than ours. Seems like they see something in him.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope their assessment of his talent is more accurate than ours. Seems like they see something in him.

I See a backup and in reality I think that is how he was paid.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I would say these are it for FA OL signings this off-season. Now they go into the draft and see what pans out?

This wouldn't prevent them from drafting one high, ie upgrade, but now i'd guess Round 3 at earliest.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say these are it for FA OL signings this off-season. Now they go into the draft and see what pans out?

This wouldn't prevent them from drafting one high, ie upgrade, but now i'd guess Round 3 at earliest.

Pretty hard to tell. The FA period hasn't even started yet and there are a couple of good pending free agents. I would think they would kick the tires on a couple of them and pass if the price is too high

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If that is all they are doing through free agency I think it indicates the opposite of not taking an OL earlier than round 3, to me it means one of those first two picks would be an O-linemen.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If that is all they are doing through free agency I think it indicates the opposite of not taking an OL earlier than round 3, to me it means one of those first two picks would be an O-linemen.

Ok, we'll see. More than fine if we draft O-line earlier than Round 3. I'll still guess no, but no problem with that.

Clearly, Jimmy G is a huge difference and we need to protect him as much as possible. Part of 'protection' is also a better run game, upgrading O-line also upgrades the run game.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, we'll see. More than fine if we draft O-line earlier than Round 3. I'll still guess no, but no problem with that.

Clearly, Jimmy G is a huge difference and we need to protect him as much as possible. Part of 'protection' is also a better run game, upgrading O-line also upgrades the run game.

Garoppolo himself makes pass protection 'better.' He clearly did with his stint last year in 5 games....and any guy who can flick it like he can makes up for an otherwise porous upfront.

Get that Carolina guard in FA and I'd be happy - a big step forward right there.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which is why simply resigning two guys that are nothing special seems to contradict the idea that those signings mean they are done in free agency and won't draft one earlier than the 3rd round. The one good thing is these seems to be a deep draft for O-Linemen.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Which is why simply resigning two guys that are nothing special seems to contradict the idea that those signings mean they are done in free agency and won't draft one earlier than the 3rd round. The one good thing is these seems to be a deep draft for O-Linemen.

Regardless of O-line, i have been consistent with what i HOPE will pan out.....LEO followed by a CB or vice versa in Rounds 1 and 2. ie 3 months ago i already posted defense before O-line. Reason is i'm hoping to contend for a play-off spot, but we need more defense than offense this season.

i take the Kilgore and Gilliam signings as positive in the sense this staff has seen both of them in their schemes. This isn't saying these are Pro Bowlers, but saying there must be something there to sign them. So the O-line was addressed with something, whereas the defense hasn't been addressed at all. So i will still guess we go defense followed by O-line in Round 3. Then there is the Foster situation will will have a small influence on what happens?

Yes, it appears to be a good draft for O-line so this only helps this line of thinking. So we'll see and again, i won't be disappointed if we start with a linemen.

This D is improved but far from play-off caliber. Whereas we know the offense consistently gets over 300 yards per game.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of O-line, i have been consistent with what i HOPE will pan out.....LEO followed by a CB or vice versa in Rounds 1 and 2. ie 3 months ago i already posted defense before O-line. Reason is i'm hoping to contend for a play-off spot, but we need more defense than offense this season.

i take the Kilgore and Gilliam signings as positive in the sense this staff has seen both of them in their schemes. This isn't saying these are Pro Bowlers, but saying there must be something there to sign them. So the O-line was addressed with something, whereas the defense hasn't been addressed at all. So i will still guess we go defense followed by O-line in Round 3. Then there is the Foster situation will will have a small influence on what happens?

Yes, it appears to be a good draft for O-line so this only helps this line of thinking. So we'll see and again, i won't be disappointed if we start with a linemen.

This D is improved but far from play-off caliber. Whereas we know the offense consistently gets over 300 yards per game.

Where I disagree is that if offensive line was an issue then resigning two guys that were on the roster last year doesn't solve the issue even if they think one or both could be starters. It will be easier to get an idea on what the draft plan will be once free agency starts. If they sign a veteran LB and one of the top CB's but no O-Linemen I think we know what direction they will go with those first two picks O-Line and Leo. I honestly think they will add a couple of CB's in free agency one starter and one to give the position more depth and at least one O-Linemen maybe not the top guy but someone who can be a starter. Then maybe a pass rusher type in free agency as well maybe another Dumervil type. This would mean they take the best player in each round regardless of position.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Where I disagree is that if offensive line was an issue then resigning two guys that were on the roster last year doesn't solve the issue even if they think one or both could be starters. It will be easier to get an idea on what the draft plan will be once free agency starts. If they sign a veteran LB and one of the top CB's but no O-Linemen I think we know what direction they will go with those first two picks O-Line and Leo. I honestly think they will add a couple of CB's in free agency one starter and one to give the position more depth and at least one O-Linemen maybe not the top guy but someone who can be a starter. Then maybe a pass rusher type in free agency as well maybe another Dumervil type. This would mean they take the best player in each round regardless of position.

Yes, signing these two guys doesn't solve the interior O-line, and i'm certainly not saying it does. But when you have 4-5 holes to fill, you have to decide what will be upgraded first? What spots will be paid higher in free agency, and what spots will take the higher draft picks? We can't expect to upgrade all 4-5 spots with top talent.

So IMO they're deciding Kilgore and Gilliam will keep the O-line going another year, and allow the defense to be upgraded first. If these two guys were REALLY bad, they wouldn't re-sign them period. But apparently they showed enough to earn the 'bridge' roles.