• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

kessler lawsuit vs ncaa. whats the endgame?

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been reading uo on this, and it seems a shit filled pandoras box may explode if successful. Some say he just wants a share of tv money, but he says he wants to challenge the amateurism standing altogether.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I have read on this is it is ALL ABOUT THE BENJAMINS!!! He wants to have a "free agency market" which means paying players what they could get on the open market. Pure Bullshit. It will ruin college sports because what will happen is the largest pockets will get the best players period. For schools like Miami, FSU, Clemson, Washington State, IU, and so on they will have no chance in major college football. It would wipe them all out. He claims it would make college athletics better. HOW?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The open market is scholarships. Nobody is offering more than that(publicly).

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The open market is scholarships. Nobody is offering more than that(publicly).

Lol.

But, serilusly, yes the canes would have to fold their entire AD if this happened. We be broke!

Texas might win the following 10-15NCs tho.

Also, is a player in florida, for example, now a state employee? Could politicians honestly sell their constituents on 200-800 new salaried positions for football players while also explaining we just cant afford more teachers?

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UF would certainly go private :D. Theyd be the only florida school that could possibly survive without dropping to DII or DIII

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made a thread about this topic on the general discussion forum yesterday, including this article in the OP.

Anti-trust claim filed by Jeffrey Kessler challenges NCAA amateur model - ESPN

Thought that was a pretty interesting read, since the lawsuit, if successful, seems to me that it would totally transform college athletics. Also seems to me that filing the suit as an anti-trust case, charging that the NCAA fixes an athlete's compensation at the value of his scholarship, might be a pretty clever legal strategy.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the endgame is breaking up the NCAA.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol.

But, serilusly, yes the canes would have to fold their entire AD if this happened. We be broke!

Texas might win the following 10-15NCs tho.

Also, is a player in florida, for example, now a state employee? Could politicians honestly sell their constituents on 200-800 new salaried positions for football players while also explaining we just cant afford more teachers?

If the Kessler lawsuit is successful, I don't think that state governments will increase funding to their schools in order to pay players. My guess is that boosters will do that.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the players get paid they should put an end to the athletic scholarship. I hope the players get a fair wage for their labor. Hell lets just be generous an offer them $15k a semester.

I'll use tOSU fee's because they were easy to find on a google search.

Tuition and fees

Player gets $15k
Resident of Ohio pays $10k per semester. Player nets $5k to party on!
Out of state resident pays $25k and must get $10k in student loans, unless of course he is smart enough to qualify for academic scholarship, and other scholarships and grants he applies for.

Good luck students! Ohio recruiting players from Michigan and other areas could be harder unless of course that player can get on academically.

Seriously, athletic scholarships need to be removed from the equation if the players are going to get paid. Some will make off well, other will have to line up and get loans en sech like the rest of us.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be funny IMO if they just started making them pay taxes on the scholarships and that was about it.

Well, for this 1 guy in particular anyway.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this is really about players getting paid.

As it stands, they are covered for tuition and room and board. Living expenses and books are generally not covered. THIS is the problem most of them have. The players that can't afford these other expenses are the ones that are the most concerned here. They can't get jobs to make money to pay those other expenses for the most part so there IS a money gap. I think they simply want to end the NCAA telling them they can't make a profit off of their name or labor. There is nothing wrong with that. I fail to see what everyone is so upset about here......this IS the American way.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As it stands, they are covered for tuition and room and board. Living expenses and books are generally not covered. THIS is the problem most of them have. The players that can't afford these other expenses are the ones that are the most concerned here. They can't get jobs to make money to pay those other expenses for the most part so there IS a money gap. I think they simply want to end the NCAA telling them they can't make a profit off of their name or labor. There is nothing wrong with that. I fail to see what everyone is so upset about here......this IS the American way.

Sorry, not true.

They directly get living expenses and then if they qualify they also get grants on top of it.

Football Players Receive $17,000 Annually in Cash, all within NCAA Rules « HolyTurf

This is how football players also buy those cars everyone likes to claim is proof of cheating, even though every school has them.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Kessler lawsuit is most certainly about the players getting paid. Here is how Kessler describes his intent in the article linked several posts above:

""The main objective is to strike down permanently the restrictions that prevent athletes in Division I basketball and the top tier of college football from being fairly compensated for the billions of dollars in revenues that they help generate," Kessler told ESPN. "In no other business -- and college sports is big business -- would it ever be suggested that the people who are providing the essential services work for free. Only in big-time college sports is that line drawn.""

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say make the all interns and let them pay their own way. See how many lawsuits follow after they cant get into the NFL or get the free ride.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say make the all interns and let them pay their own way. See how many lawsuits follow after they cant get into the NFL or get the free ride.

Not at all clear to me that schools would earn near the revenue that they now do from sports if their teams featured only athletes who could pay their own way to school and walk onto teams. Have to figure that would result in quite an athletic talent reduction, accompanied by reductions in both ticket sales and TV revenue.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might as well just start a new league. Anything beyond their scholarship, food, and board is going to fold female athletics and eventually cause tuition prices for real students to increase.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So are internships and residencies. Are the schools going to be able to charge for the exposure and training they offer? Are atheletes gonna follow up saying capping their service at 4 years is unfair? Or unionize and claim being forced to take non football related classes is unfair?

I mean Im all for them getting some cash, as long as smaller schools can stay competitive, but challenging amateurism altogether opens a lot of shitty doors. Besides, are there not pro leagues already besides the nfl and nba? These guys are not forced to go to college and get massive exposure for free. And what happens when T9 is no longer viable (yay)? What kinda shit storm will that cause?

And even if he wants players to just get a piece of the tv money:
1. Pandoras box
2. What piece do they get? I mean the sec has the best tv deal. Does that mean you get paid more to play there? Thats how america works, right?

And, claiming that capping their salary is illegal, what about selling their likeness (which they should, but with regulation) will phil be able to tell the next greatest qb he can offer him a job for $20mm with nike IF and WHILE playing for the ducks?

I would imagine the ncaa would be able to cap a teams salary, like the nfl. What if the players dont like it? Are "student atheletes" going on strike? Thats the american way too, no?

Way too many bad possibilities.