• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kenley Jansen "Maybe we have to go on strike"

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gtfo with fair. This is a negotiation. The owners wouldn’t do anything out of the goodness of their hearts.

Currently there is no floor. They also “own” the players for 3(?) years before 4 years of arb. No way would it go from 7 years of control to 4 without dropping the cap tp about 150M

In other words...

It ain’t happening. The owners would sac multiple seasons before giving in on your proposal.

Also I was just taking about what would solve the tanking problem.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... the deals some of these guys want just don't hold up to logic. I don't understand why Darvish, Arrieta... etc... Feel they're worth this much.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hosmer got a 7 year offer for $147M. Those greedy owners.

Lol.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... the deals some of these guys want just don't hold up to logic. I don't understand why Darvish, Arrieta... etc... Feel they're worth this much.
I don't know all the particulars on how players' worth is established but I recall some concern a couple of years ago when Brett Cecil scored a huge-o deal with St. Louis.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know all the particulars on how players' worth is established but I recall some concern a couple of years ago when Brett Cecil scored a huge-o deal with St. Louis.

Like any other profession in this country. A baseball player's value is determined by the market for their skill set. Apparently, players all of the sudden can't live with that...

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the fuck is he waiting for?

He wants that same deal, just not from the team that's offering it. This is why I'm struggling to side with players here. There are guys signed and solid offers have been made, it does come off as greedy.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Guys in the past have gotten it.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"we're doing this for you, now that you are in the majors. But fuck you when you were minor leaguer"

Fuck the union.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like any other profession in this country. A baseball player's value is determined by the market for their skill set. Apparently, players all of the sudden can't live with that...

Not in the first 6 MLB years of their career it isn't. And I think that's probably what some of these guys are thinking, that they went along with the system when they were young and it was screwing them because some upside was going to be available to them down the road. And now they're through that crappy no control and no leverage portion of their careers but the upside isn't what they thought it would be.

I'm not even saying it's a fair complaint, just that I understand it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in the first 6 MLB years of their career it isn't. And I think that's probably what some of these guys are thinking, that they went along with the system when they were young and it was screwing them because some upside was going to be available to them down the road. And now they're through that crappy no control and no leverage portion of their careers but the upside isn't what they thought it would be.

How about the kids who get huge signing bonuses than crap out of the game after 2 years?

The players play for “free” their first few years because that is the carrot for the teams to develop the players. Teams dump huge amounts of resources into signing amateurs and building facilities to get one decent player every couple of years.

Is Mark Appel giving his money back?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Yu Darvish wanted to get 30 mil per year. He shouldn't have shit the bed for a good chunk of last season, and especially in the post-season.

If Arrieta wanted to get 200 mil (absurd, if really true) he shouldn't have struggled throughout his 20's. Before breaking out at 29, only to regress continually from 2015 in the two following seasons.

I don't understand why these guys feel that they're owed money that they didn't earn.