• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kelchner's words

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree for the most part, but you forgot something. MONEY! The Big XII has the 3rd largest bankroll and the top per member payout of all conferences. (Per Forbes) So the ability and resources are there to go grab whoever they want. The thing I question is the will to do so.

MAC, I really don't think they can grab whoever they want, I could not imagine any team leaving the B11, SEC, PAC, or even the ACC to come to the B12. Each of those leagues is more stable than the B12. The B12 had five teams bail out two years ago, and three others were a whisker from leaving for the PAC. No one has bailed on the SEC, PAC, or B11, and only one team left the ACC. The NCAA keeps letting more teams move up from 1AA to 1A, putting ever more pressure in place for the top to split away to a new division, just as happened in 1978. I see 64 teams in four leagues splitting off, with ESPN being the driving force as to who is included. The only question is: will it be the ACC or B12 that survives? Unless the B12 gets off their ass SOON, it will be the ACC. I look at the PAC needing 4 teams to get to 16, where will they come from? The only thing that makes sense is the Western teams from the B12 and MAYBE BYU or Boise. The B11 needs two more, again, the logical choice is Eastern B12 teams, OR Northern ACC teams, they WILL NOT take a mid major. The SEC again, needs two teams, logical choice is again, Eastern B12 teams, ACC teams, or USF. The ACC needs two as well, who? UConn and Cinci I think, as they seem to want basketball AND football teams.

The B12 would need SIX teams, who would they be? Where would they get six teams that add value?? There are 64 teams in the top five leagues as of the current realignment plans, and there will be 64 teams in four leagues when its done, WVU is one of those 64 now, HOPEFULLY WVU will be one of the next 64 as well. I do not like it any more than you do, but WVU moved from one unstable, dysfunctional league to another. If the ACC grabs another mid major or former BE team, I fear WVU will be left on the outside looking in.:omg:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has been talk of the Big12's GOR not being enough to hold it together if this or that conference comes a calling certain schools but when speaking of the ACC( the lowest paying conference) theirs is iron clad? Lets hold off judging the B12 just sitting for the sake of sitting until WVU and TCU are fully vested then see what happens. Im not saying they WILL def make a move but at the same time there is no sense paying for teams like Cincy,UCF, USF or ECU and their exit fees right now when we can get them just as easily after all our business is taken care of. Who's to say we don't end up with FSU and Clemson (or a different ACC school if they get raided by SEC or BIG) plus those four mentioned earlier to get to 16? The best move right now might be the one you DONT make until the time(and money we build as a conference) is right, time will tell.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gold, if six of the ten members make a move, there is no league to enforce the GOR. The ACC's GOR is more ironclad simply because it would take more schools banding together to break the league, six B12 schools, 8 ACC schools. As to NOT making a move, how did that work out in our previous conference? The B12 brass missed their opportunity to grab ACC schools, when the arrogant ACC leaders were languishing as UMD announced their departure the B12 should have swooped in and grabbed at least two schools, BUT, just as the BE did, they sat and watched.........

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 ACC schools.

This is all rumor at this point anyway, but the ACC losing 8 schools is not out of the realm of possibility....the thing we have going for us, which I think you also said is our biggest weakness is Texas and Oklahoma. Those two schools by themselves are worth more than the ACC has to offer as a whole(not worth more $$$ wise, but potential money) So back to rumors, what I have heard through the grapevine is now it would be more likely that the ACC schools- FSU, Clemson, Ga Tech, Va Tech, UNC, NC ST, Miami, Ville....would come to the Big 12 and unite a conf that would give the SEC a run talent wise and the Big 10 a run TV $$$ wise. All rumor, no documents or anything to back it up just a friend who knows a guy who knows a guy....lol

If Texas and Oklahoma would go Pac 12 we would still get their GOR, since the other schools would not have to move quickly...in which case I think we end up in the SEC...specualtion of course. No one really knows where this thing is going to go....but for now we are fine where we are instead of whatever they call the BE these days. We will be earning more year by year, which will only help our facilties and make us more attractive if we indeed have to move. Just have to wait and see.... :couch2:

Last edited by a moderator:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all rumor at this point anyway, but the ACC losing 8 schools is not out of the realm of possibility....the thing we have going for us, which I think you also said is our biggest weakness is Texas and Oklahoma. Those two schools by themselves are worth more than the ACC has to offer as a whole(not worth more $$$ wise, but potential money) So back to rumors, what I have heard through the grapevine is now it would be more likely that the ACC schools- FSU, Clemson, Ga Tech, Va Tech, UNC, NC ST, Miami, Ville....would come to the Big 12 and unite a conf that would give the SEC a run talent wise and the Big 10 a run TV $$$ wise. All rumor, no documents or anything to back it up just a friend who knows a guy who knows a guy....lol

If Texas and Oklahoma would go Pac 12 we would still get their GOR, since the other schools would not have to move quickly...in which case I think we end up in the SEC...specualtion of course. No one really knows where this thing is going to go....but for now we are fine where we are instead of whatever they call the BE these days. We will be earning more year by year, which will only help our facilties and make us more attractive if we indeed have to move. Just have to wait and see.... :couch2:
Good post, DC, but I do not see where those eight ACC schools decide to jump to the B12, and I do not see the PAC taking just two teams. If the PAC comes calling, I think they will go straight to 16, without pausing at 14. What worries me is the fact that Swofford HATES WVU for some reason, and we do not have what is seen as an attractive media market. I think the SEC would definitely be interested in WVU, BUT if the B12 DOES go to shit, do they go after another Texas school??

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAD,

I don't think Swofford hates WVU. According to Oliver Luck, Swofford wanted to get WVU in the ACC. The problem was UNC and Duke.

Those two schools hate WVU.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAD,

I don't think Swofford hates WVU. According to Oliver Luck, Swofford wanted to get WVU in the ACC. The problem was UNC and Duke.

Those two schools hate WVU.

BB, the way I understood the ACC bylaws was it took a 2/3 majority vote to admit a new member.. So there must have been two others who were sure no votes IF indeed Swofford wanted us.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dad,

This is the story as I have either been told... or maybe I read it somewhere... I cannot remember which.

The man you love to hate... well one of them... Oliver Luck... met with Swofford as well as going to VT, UofV, and UNC to meet with presidents and AD's of those institutions shortly after starting his job in Morgantown. He wanted WVU to go to the ACC.

Swofford wanted WVU and Pitt. Luck thought the ACC was going to expand with WVU and Pitt.

In the end, we all know what happened. SU was given the invite.

I have not heard what other schools voted against WVU getting in, but the catalyst behind WVU not receiving the invite Swofford wanted was UNC and Duke. Different rumors I heard was that VT and UofV voted against WVU as well... but, it was UNC and Duke who rallied the troops against us.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dad,

This is the story as I have either been told... or maybe I read it somewhere... I cannot remember which.

The man you love to hate... well one of them... Oliver Luck... met with Swofford as well as going to VT, UofV, and UNC to meet with presidents and AD's of those institutions shortly after starting his job in Morgantown. He wanted WVU to go to the ACC.

Swofford wanted WVU and Pitt. Luck thought the ACC was going to expand with WVU and Pitt.

In the end, we all know what happened. SU was given the invite.

I have not heard what other schools voted against WVU getting in, but the catalyst behind WVU not receiving the invite Swofford wanted was UNC and Duke. Different rumors I heard was that VT and UofV voted against WVU as well... but, it was UNC and Duke who rallied the troops against us.

Thanks, BB, I know that VPI has always been jealous of WVU, if that is the right word, I don't know what those other three would have to vote against us.:noidea: I think Swofford had the idea that they wanted the best roundball league in the last round, sPitt, "Cuse and UL are all GREAT basketball gets, less so in football, but they do have football history, and UL is on the rise.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke and UNC have excellent academic profiles. Even though UNC has been found to have committed academic fraud recently, there is no argument... they are a highly selective school. Considered one of the best public universities in the country.

Call it academic snobbery.

It is my understanding that FSU petitioned hard for WVU's inclusion... and, it was their voice which provided UofL an invite recently.

As all of us know... WVU does not have the academic profile of other ACC schools. It is what it is...