• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keep your eyes open on the up coming expansion vote...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gentlemen,

This upcoming expansion vote may actually turn out to be an earthquake and just not the question of adding teams..

From the posturing of Oklahoma now saying they are not in favor of expansion and they stick to that stance through the voting process, I believe that will be the first clear signal that the BIG12 is done after the grant of rights expire....it will be the next logical move to 4 Super Conferences...if you think Ol' Slaton is crazy, which power conference is the ONLY one not to have a major Television Deal specifically covering the conference?

Get ready boys..West Virginia just maybe heading to the SEC after all....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PAC 12 has a major television deal?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see how it goes. Boren has gone from claiming a psychologic disadvantage to holding firm to his favorite choices for expansion.

Great drama...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring back the BE!!!!!!!!!!

What if the Big 12 had chosen Louisville over West Virginia during realignment?
If the Big 12 doesn't expand, there's no bigger loser than Houston
Source tells ESPN Big 12 'could be close to the end'

As I have said all along, the WVU-B12 alliance was a desperate act on both parts. The B12 will cease to exist sooner rather than later, I hope Lyons and Gee are constantly talking to the ACC and SEC brass!!!! Otherwise CUSA here we come........

Unfortunately, I actually believe that some fans would like that. They liked the BE days when we were a big fish in a little pond and could drive to away games. I know it sucks that it's harder to get 9-11 win seasons in the Big XII but I'd rather watch WVU vs OK,TX, etc than WVU vs Rutgers,UCONN, etc. The DickRod days in the weak BE (after the ACC raided it) definitely spoiled a lot of fans.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the future of this conference will depend on how its members preform in the coming years. The B12 should remain stable thoroughout the current TV deal. If we win a couple of NCs during that time, the B12 will stay together. Miss the playoffs a couple of more years and OK and TX may decide to bolt.

If it all falls apart, the SEC is a logical landing point. However, I did say that 5 years ago also.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, I actually believe that some fans would like that. They liked the BE days when we were a big fish in a little pond and could drive to away games. I know it sucks that it's harder to get 9-11 win seasons in the Big XII but I'd rather watch WVU vs OK,TX, etc than WVU vs Rutgers,UCONN, etc. The DickRod days in the weak BE (after the ACC raided it) definitely spoiled a lot of fans.
I laugh when people compare the B12 to the BE, they ALWAYS mention Texas and OU, NEVER Kansas and IAST, they ALWAYS mention Rutgers and UConn, NEVER UL......... It is what it is, we have zero control or even voice in it....

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that it is very possible that we go to Four Super Conferences....

OU, Wv, and you add whoever else to the SEC..

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that it is very possible that we go to Four Super Conferences....

OU, Wv, and you add whoever else to the SEC..
Lets think for a minute, Right now there are 14 teams in the ACC, SEC, and B11, there are 12 in the PAC, there are 10 in the B12. I have said all along that the B12 will die. I think there will be no B12 expansion, as "they" don't want to spread the wealth any more. Do the math, kill the B12, those ten schools will fill the other leagues to 16 each. I see the PAC taking Texas, TT, TCU, and Baylor, The B11 taking KU and IAST, the ACC and SEC taking WVU, KSU, OU and OSU in some manner. ND is the oddball in the deal, the one who could manage to ship WVU to CUSA, if they take that last ACC spot......

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pac-12 TV Networks

They have a network..

You referred to a contract with a a major network like ESPN or Fox. The PAC 12 Network has been a huge under performer. It is why the PAC 12 falls behind the other P5 conferences in revenue.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the reasons that I wouldn't be shocked if the Big12 and PAC merged. I think both of our GOR's run out about the same time

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't it fun to talk about the demise of the Big 12?

Dodds made an interesting point in his article. We have a troll on this board who constantly wishes WVU had been UofL and waited for the ACC to offer an invite. Even in this thread, he mentions his hope Gee and Lyons are talking to the ACC.

Dodds offers this...

"One person with intimate knowledge of the 2011 process said West Virginia probably couldn't have joined the ACC. There was == the person said -- "a long non-relationship" with the conference."

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Dodds could write his next article with the title... 'What if the SEC had taken WVU instead of Missouri in Realignment?'

The SEC East is terrible. WVU would be winning 8-9 games without blinking again. And basketball... outside of UK... the conference would be there for tons of W's.

Mizzou was never a good fit for the SEC.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You referred to a contract with a a major network like ESPN or Fox. The PAC 12 Network has been a huge under performer. It is why the PAC 12 falls behind the other P5 conferences in revenue.
Sometimes I think you argue just to argue...does the Big 12 have either their own network or a brand specific channel with a major provider?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the Pac 12 has its own network. Is it based on the same platform as either the B1G or SEC? Both of these conferences formed a pact with FOX and ESPN respectively. Both networks bartered with cable companies to bundle packages guaranteeing huge revenue and distribution for their respective conference.

The ACC Network may or may not become reality. ESPN will partner with it. The Pac 12 owns their own network. Some have called it a failure. It is why schools like Zona and ASU have reached out to the Big 12.

In no way would anyone call it a major television deal.

The complicated case of the Pac-12 Networks

"From a business standpoint, the networks, which employ 180 people, have operated in the black, paying each school $1 million to $1.5 million annually. That’s not taking into account the 12-year, $3 billion media rights deals the conference has with ESPN and Fox Sports.

The SEC, by comparison, paid its schools $7.5 million each in 2014-15 from its network, and the Big Ten Network’s number is believed to be even higher."

"Still, the networks cannot escape the two most glaring shortcomings: distribution and revenue back to its members.
The Pac-12 Networks are in about 12 million households, sources said, a figure that is well shy of the 60 million-plus households for both the Big Ten and SEC networks."

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the Pac 12 has its own network. Is it based on the same platform as either the B1G or SEC? Both of these conferences formed a pact with FOX and ESPN respectively. Both networks bartered with cable companies to bundle packages guaranteeing huge revenue and distribution for their respective conference.

The ACC Network may or may not become reality. ESPN will partner with it. The Pac 12 owns their own network. Some have called it a failure. It is why schools like Zona and ASU have reached out to the Big 12.

In no way would anyone call it a major television deal.

The complicated case of the Pac-12 Networks

"From a business standpoint, the networks, which employ 180 people, have operated in the black, paying each school $1 million to $1.5 million annually. That’s not taking into account the 12-year, $3 billion media rights deals the conference has with ESPN and Fox Sports.

The SEC, by comparison, paid its schools $7.5 million each in 2014-15 from its network, and the Big Ten Network’s number is believed to be even higher."

"Still, the networks cannot escape the two most glaring shortcomings: distribution and revenue back to its members.
The Pac-12 Networks are in about 12 million households, sources said, a figure that is well shy of the 60 million-plus households for both the Big Ten and SEC networks."

What did you show me?...looks to me more than what the BIG12 has or are you just trying to blur the lines and get off topic...my bad...I forgot...the Big12 has the TEXAS LONGHORN NETWORK!...what was I thinking. Who cares if it is failing or not..at THIS moment...someone WILL buy it out ..the infrastructure is in place...and in the end the PAC12 wins....further down the line than the BIG12 by a COUNTRY MILE!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Major television deal...

What is your definition of a major television deal?

WVU makes more in Tier 3 revenue with its Root Sports contract than what Pac 12 teams get from their Network.

Hopefully, you realize the Network is nothing but Tier 3 rights each school handed over to the conference.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Major television deal...

What is your definition of a major television deal?

WVU makes more in Tier 3 revenue with its Root Sports contract than what Pac 12 teams get from their Network.

Hopefully, you realize the Network is nothing but Tier 3 rights each school handed over to the conference.

Whats the definition...an organized medium outlet that is prescription based that specifically features a programming package made for consumer purchase. Your definition obviously is different for some reason...and who cares who has made more money from their agreements...sometimes things don't work out...heck Mike and Molly got cancelled for peat sake!

BUT...at the end of the day this is not what this thread is about...its about the upcoming vote and what happens if the Big12 chooses not to expand....my take...we are headed for Super Conferences..