• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keep Tanking PHX SUNS

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geesh! I watched the Pelican Suns game and actually thought for a moment that my Suns would win. Thankfully we didn't.
Anybody think that they should impose penalties for tanking in the NBA?
That would be hard to prove.

LeChuck421

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how on earth would you do that? The Suns were trying that entire game

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geesh! I watched the Pelican Suns game and actually thought for a moment that my Suns would win. Thankfully we didn't.
Anybody think that they should impose penalties for tanking in the NBA?
That would be hard to prove.

Yeah, unless someone is dumb enough to to just come out and say it (like Cuban), it's virtually impossible to prove.

It's front offices that tank anyway, not coaches and players. Take your Suns for example. They are no doubt tanking, but those players are playing hard. They're not trying to lose. The FO has just made sure they don't have the guys to win very many games.

I kind of like Dan Patrick's idea. The league should make a rule that it's okay for a team to tank, but they must lower the prices of tickets, parking and concessions every season that they do it. Fans shouldn't have to pay full price when an organization isn't even trying to put a competitive team on the floor. I would add that they shouldn't be allowed to do it more than 2, maybe 3 seasons in a row.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Credit to them though for stealing from the Magic ( Elfrid Payton ).

Booker, Warren, and Payton. That's a really solid building block. I'd imagine a Center is first on their to-do list next.

FORKWDEVIL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, unless someone is dumb enough to to just come out and say it (like Cuban), it's virtually impossible to prove.

It's front offices that tank anyway, not coaches and players. Take your Suns for example. They are no doubt tanking, but those players are playing hard. They're not trying to lose. The FO has just made sure they don't have the guys to win very many games.

I kind of like Dan Patrick's idea. The league should make a rule that it's okay for a team to tank, but they must lower the prices of tickets, parking and concessions every season that they do it. Fans shouldn't have to pay full price when an organization isn't even trying to put a competitive team on the floor. I would add that they shouldn't be allowed to do it more than 2, maybe 3 seasons in a row.
I actually think that is a great idea.

FORKWDEVIL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Credit to them though for stealing from the Magic ( Elfrid Payton ).

Booker, Warren, and Payton. That's a really solid building block. I'd imagine a Center is first on their to-do list next.
The Suns need that Texas Center with 7'8" wingspan. I don't want Doncic in the draft.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But how do you determine if a team is tanking? If they have to lower prices they aren't going to admit it like Cuban

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But how do you determine if a team is tanking? If they have to lower prices they aren't going to admit it like Cuban

It's usually pretty obvious who is tanking, but for the idea to truly work, a team would have to admit it (which is why the league office would need to be on board). Maybe not necessarily publicly, but through lowered prices.

Although, I wouldn't necessarily mind a team announcing it. "Hey, we need to get bad to be good, so we're not going to be real competitive for this season. Because of this, we are going to be cutting prices on tickets, parking and concessions for this season."

I would have loved for the Lakers to have done this. I don't mind paying a lot to see a contending team, but I'm not paying full price to see a team that is tanking.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's usually pretty obvious who is tanking, but for the idea to truly work, a team would have to admit it (which is why the league office would need to be on board). Maybe not necessarily publicly, but through lowered prices.

Although, I wouldn't necessarily mind a team announcing it. "Hey, we need to get bad to be good, so we're not going to be real competitive for this season. Because of this, we are going to be cutting prices on tickets, parking and concessions for this season."

I would have loved for the Lakers to have done this. I don't mind paying a lot to see a contending team, but I'm not paying full price to see a team that is tanking.
There's just no reason at all for a team to voluntarily do this and also no way for the league to force them. Maybe the good PR would outweigh the lost revenue but I still don't see any team doing it. Then again maybe the lower prices would bring in more people to watch a bad team and revenue wouldn't suffer too much.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's just no reason at all for a team to voluntarily do this and also no way for the league to force them. Maybe the good PR would outweigh the lost revenue but I still don't see any team doing it

I think the league could probably force it. Most of the time tanking leads to empty seats. I think more people would be willing to go to the games when the team is tanking if they could pay less. So, a team would likely end up not losing much, if any revenue because more people would be coming to the games.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you make it black and white. No reason for subjectivity.

Each time a team wins fewer than 30 games, they must cut prices the following season. Make it like the repeater tax too. The more consecutive seasons you go, the more drastic the cut.

The only problem is that a rule like this would conflict directly with good rebuilding practice. Tanking would be much less prevalent, but you would see a ton of mediocre teams and probably an even greater gap between the elite and the middle tier playoff teams.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you make it black and white. No reason for subjectivity.

I agree. But for it to be black and white, the league needs to be on board.

Each time a team wins fewer than 30 games, they must cut prices the following season. Make it like the repeater tax too. The more consecutive seasons you go, the more drastic the cut.

The only problem I see with this is, what if that team gets what they need in that off-season? For example, the Cavs won, I believe, 26 games the season before Lebron returned. So, they went from a 26 win team to a finals participant in one off season. That's why I like the idea of lowering prices in the season that the team is actually tanking.

The only problem is that a rule like this would conflict directly with good rebuilding practice. Tanking would be much less prevalent, but you would see a ton of mediocre teams and probably an even greater gap between the elite and the middle tier playoff teams.

I'm not so sure. It would depend on how it was all worked out. I think your idea about making like the repeater tax would go a long way towards curbing that. It wouldn't take long before the cut in prices truly started effecting a teams profits.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. But for it to be black and white, the league needs to be on board.

The only problem I see with this is, what if that team gets what they need in that off-season? For example, the Cavs won, I believe, 26 games the season before Lebron returned. So, they went from a 26 win team to a finals participant in one off season. That's why I like the idea of lowering prices in the season that the team is actually tanking.

I'm not so sure. It would depend on how it was all worked out. I think your idea about making like the repeater tax would go a long way towards curbing that. It wouldn't take long before the cut in prices truly started effecting a teams profits.

I am sure there is a way to fix the Cav problem. Like, if you spend enough money on salary to be over the cap, or if Vegas projects you as a playoff team the next season, you don't have to cut prices. I don't know. But I think that problem could be solved.

FORKWDEVIL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is official the Suns are (*e) from the playoffs!