• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kearse

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this has to have at least something to do with the salary cap. Kearse can still play.

I think this is Seattles year in the NFC. Wilson appears healthy again. They seem to have worked out their internal issues. There is too much talent there for them not to be a top team. To me, the only real question is o line

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this has to have at least something to do with the salary cap. Kearse can still play.

Not a salary cap issue. The Seahawks have a lot of young WRs they like and this is probably Kearse's last year with the club. Salary cap wise it's about a wash to cut him.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team can save $2.2M against this year's cap by cutting Kearse and splitting the remaining bonus proration between this year and next. It's only a wash if they cut him and take all the remaining cap hit in the current year, which they can if they so choose.

I think this is as much about not wanting to expose some younger talent on the PS as it is about anything else. Last year we were able to put Kasen Williams on the PS and not worry about another team snapping him up. Not sure we could get away with that this year, given how he's performed. Probably the same with McEvoy, who in my opinion can do anything Kearse can do but for much less $.

Trade him before you have to cut him. Makes sense to me.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bout damn time

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bout damn time

You want to join me on one of these Snuggy?

103013_bos_gomes_victory_lap_hyatt_pv4vz78d.gif

Apparently it is Kearse, LANE AND COLLINS(source cbs sports app)

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team can save $2.2M against this year's cap by cutting Kearse and splitting the remaining bonus proration between this year and next. It's only a wash if they cut him and take all the remaining cap hit in the current year, which they can if they so choose.

I think this is as much about not wanting to expose some younger talent on the PS as it is about anything else. Last year we were able to put Kasen Williams on the PS and not worry about another team snapping him up. Not sure we could get away with that this year, given how he's performed. Probably the same with McEvoy, who in my opinion can do anything Kearse can do but for much less $.

Yep. Lets fleece our competition for the Superb Owl. They have some need at WR.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even if you trade a player the signing bonus in the current year + any future years is still a hit to the team and accelerated forward meaning you take it that year as a cap hit.

Jermaine Kearse

So the dead cap would be $3.6M ($1.8M signing bonus x 2 - for this year and the next) against his actual cap of $4M. We'd only save like $400K. But we save $7M cap hit next year which is pretty huge.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if you trade a player the signing bonus in the current year + any future years is still a hit to the team and accelerated forward meaning you take it that year as a cap hit.

Jermaine Kearse

So the dead cap would be $3.6M ($1.8M signing bonus x 2 - for this year and the next) against his actual cap of $4M. We'd only save like $400K. But we save $7M cap hit next year which is pretty huge.
We've got this discussion fragmented a bit between 2 diff threads, but no biggie I guess.

Overthecap has a cool feature where you can click a drop-down and find out cap implications for a pre-1 June cut, a post-1 June cut, and a trade. The post-1 June rules allow the remaining SB proration to be split between current year and following year. That's where the $2.2M savings come from. I am not sure it works the exact same in a trade because the cap implications on Kearse for "trade" and "pre-1 June" are identical -- all remaining guaranteed $ accelerated to current year.

But yeah, Kearse's salary for 2018 makes him an inevitable cut before then if he's not traded or restructured. There's just no way this team is going to pay him $5M next year and swallow a cap hit of $6.8M. But if he makes the team this year, we'll still be on the hook for $1.8M in '18. It's the exact same hit we'll take by cutting him now and splitting that $3.6M in half.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kearse wont be traded, nobody will pay that salary for a #4 wr. He will be cut

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kearse wont be traded, nobody will pay that salary for a #4 wr. He will be cut
I think I probably agree the chance he's cut is great than the chance of a trade, but it's also possible a trade would come with a restructure on the new team. That would make a trade a bit more money friendly.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've got this discussion fragmented a bit between 2 diff threads, but no biggie I guess.

Overthecap has a cool feature where you can click a drop-down and find out cap implications for a pre-1 June cut, a post-1 June cut, and a trade. The post-1 June rules allow the remaining SB proration to be split between current year and following year. That's where the $2.2M savings come from. I am not sure it works the exact same in a trade because the cap implications on Kearse for "trade" and "pre-1 June" are identical -- all remaining guaranteed $ accelerated to current year.

But yeah, Kearse's salary for 2018 makes him an inevitable cut before then if he's not traded or restructured. There's just no way this team is going to pay him $5M next year and swallow a cap hit of $6.8M. But if he makes the team this year, we'll still be on the hook for $1.8M in '18. It's the exact same hit we'll take by cutting him now and splitting that $3.6M in half.

Oh that is a nifty feature. Still, I was thinking we trade him which then of course we get the full $3.6M hit. I find it hard to believe they'd cut Kearse... but maybe... Browns already did it with Haden.

But yah, if we cut him then we get the $2M savings. Not sure what we'd do with the cap, maybe just carry the $10M or so over to next year.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Kearse has value. Only some 12s think he's a #4 WR. The Browns are short on WR talent and need some pass catchers to give Kiser some targets to. In a league where you need at least 3 WRs, Cleveland has only 2.
Well the Browns are thin at WR, but they do have a couple of WRs they drafted but haven't been given much of a opportunity yet. On the positive side they got cap space to burn with 62 million of cap space, so maybe.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad if it was posted somewhere here already but lol

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish Kearse well. He has his place in Seahwks lore with some of the biggest playoff catches in team history. Hopefully he can carve a roll for himself with the Jets.