• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keanu Neal

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you guys think? I love it!

@ATL96Steeler @night

Mixed to be honest, no issues with Keanu...just the guys they left on the board...I thought Lawson or Lee was a lock...after hearing Quinn talk about the pick today...I like it more than I did earlier this morning, but have to see what they do with these next 3 picks.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF gave us a D for the pick. I'm not sure I'd grade it that low but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the pick yet. The need was there but is he the right guy? Who knows at this point. With our packages he will basically be playing a linebacker role in the nickel and he'll be playing up in the box a fair amount of the time. We got what we were looking for (someone who can cover the tight end and help stopping the run) it just wasn't at the position we expected.

Shaq Lawson seemed pretty enticing although there were reports he needed a shoulder surgery which would keep him out 4-6 months at the end of the season and this morning he is denying that. It's hard to say whether that is what kept TD and Quinn from pulling the trigger on him since they haven't said too much about it.

Considering this news:

I think Jack will be off of the board pretty quickly tonight and is probably off of our radar. There are still some high quality linebackers and defensive ends left. I just don't know if they'll be available at #20.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now we added LB Deion Jones from LSU and TE Austin Hooper from Stanford. At least they're addressing our biggest needs.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF gave us a D for the pick. I'm not sure I'd grade it that low but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the pick yet. The need was there but is he the right guy? Who knows at this point. With our packages he will basically be playing a linebacker role in the nickel and he'll be playing up in the box a fair amount of the time. We got what we were looking for (someone who can cover the tight end and help stopping the run) it just wasn't at the position we expected.

Shaq Lawson seemed pretty enticing although there were reports he needed a shoulder surgery which would keep him out 4-6 months at the end of the season and this morning he is denying that. It's hard to say whether that is what kept TD and Quinn from pulling the trigger on him since they haven't said too much about it.

Considering this news:

I think Jack will be off of the board pretty quickly tonight and is probably off of our radar. There are still some high quality linebackers and defensive ends left. I just don't know if they'll be available at #20.

Heard TD's local interview and Quinn was there as well.

Neal...they see him as the perfect scheme fit player...and in the box presence against the run, and can cover...Dave Archer said he will bring the same kind of physical play that William Moore did, but better in coverage....we will soon find out, because he most likely will be a starter day one...Idk this but Quinn recruited him at FL before he left for SEA so there is some history here.

When asked about other players they left on the board...TD kinda side stepped it, choosing to focus on the players they did take, but it didn't sound like Lawson or Dodd was really that high on on their 1st rd board.

Jones...they said he will bring speed and athleticism to the position...a young, faster Spoon type player...don't be surprised if he's also starting. The good...they moved back 2 spots and still got their guy picking up a 6th rd pick in the process.

Hooper...clearly a need addressed...Stanford guy, you figure he's somewhat bright...I thought this was a good spot for Sheldon Day or Charles Tapper, DE, but maybe they have a better prospect in mind.

Would have like to have seen them take a pass rushing DL in the second or 3rd, and push TE back, but so far...they are covering needs...at least 1 starter I think this season, maybe 2.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard TD's local interview and Quinn was there as well.

Neal...they see him as the perfect scheme fit player...and in the box presence against the run, and can cover...Dave Archer said he will bring the same kind of physical play that William Moore did, but better in coverage....we will soon find out, because he most likely will be a starter day one...Idk this but Quinn recruited him at FL before he left for SEA so there is some history here.

When asked about other players they left on the board...TD kinda side stepped it, choosing to focus on the players they did take, but it didn't sound like Lawson or Dodd was really that high on on their 1st rd board.

Jones...they said he will bring speed and athleticism to the position...a young, faster Spoon type player...don't be surprised if he's also starting. The good...they moved back 2 spots and still got their guy picking up a 6th rd pick in the process.

Hooper...clearly a need addressed...Stanford guy, you figure he's somewhat bright...I thought this was a good spot for Sheldon Day or Charles Tapper, DE, but maybe they have a better prospect in mind.

Would have like to have seen them take a pass rushing DL in the second or 3rd, and push TE back, but so far...they are covering needs...at least 1 starter I think this season, maybe 2.
Neal

The good: Big hitter, good against the run, and he can work in the box or high.
The bad: He can miss his target going for big hits, sometimes loses his man in coverage, and he has average speed.

Jones

The good: He's quick, can go sideline to sideline, great special teams player, decent in coverage, and handles leadership roles well.
The bad: Limited playing time in college and can sometimes lose his coverage.

Hooper

The good: He does it all; pass block, run block, and runs decent routes. He is pretty good and finding space against zone schemes as a receiver and he has the opportunity to learn from Jacob Tamme for a year. I have a feeling he might not be a big part of the offense his rookie season but he is our future at the position.
The bad: His hands aren't as soft as you'd like out of a tight end.

They're all high character guys which is something we've come to expect out of this regime. I'm satisfied with the players and positions addressed. Not to toot my own horn or anything but last year I said we would wait for this draft to get a tight end. We just need to see how Quinn and company coach them up and how ready they are to play their rookie seasons.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
De'Vontre Campbell is another raw project with a lot of athleticism. I doubt he'll be seeing the field much this upcoming season. It looks like we value speed above all else on defense right now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
De'Vontre Campbell is another raw project with a lot of athleticism. I doubt he'll be seeing the field much this upcoming season. It looks like we value speed above all else on defense right now.

The SC TE, Jerell Adams, would have been my choice but they got a TE...liked the late round pickups...Schweitzer and Fuller and G and WR...Devin might be replacing another Devin...ironic.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SC TE, Jerell Adams, would have been my choice but they got a TE...liked the late round pickups...Schweitzer and Fuller and G and WR...Devin might be replacing another Devin...ironic.
Schweitzer looks like a beast especially in the game against Auburn. I think he could eventually get some playing time in the next couple of years.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The local sports media has been somewhat negative on the draft...largely because no fire breather was drafted opposite Vic Beasley.

Sunday...more people seem to come around on Neal, but the 52nd pick is still getting a lot of scrutiny. They left DEs Carl Nassib, Jonathan Bullard, and Yannick Ngakoue on the board.

Personally I would have taken Tyler Boyd, WR or Whitehair at OG with that pick, so we'll have to see how Deion Jones performs...4.3 pro day...he has the wheels to defend in space, can blitz...Quinn raved about the speed/hit factor...sounds like they will find some snaps for him early, probably in nickel.

Campbell, he has the potential to be a great 3rd down guy coming off the edge...I didn't see a whole I liked better on the board.

Overall I thought ATL did a pretty good job considering what the board looked like when they picked.

NFCS At Large...I don't do grades, but thoughts on the DIV drafts.

TB...kicker in the 2nd rd is interesting, but could be a long term asset...they take the top spot imo....Spence could be dangerous if he can stay on the field.

NO...with only 5 picks, they nailed the top 3...all should play and have some impact this yr.

CAR...they went too safe imo in the 1st round...Butler was a good catch, but at best he's a rotation guy on that squad inside...they left a potential OL starter on the board, #1 TE, also good enough to stash Jaylon Smith or Jack...obviously they needed a CB after cutting ties with Norman and they drafted several. Getting Jermey Cash, S imo was one of the best UDFA pickups...still surprised he went UD.

CAR with that DL and getting Benjamin back, imo they are still the top dog in the DIV, but losing one of the best CBs in the league LY will hurt. Plus they got a career yr from S Coleman also.

But, every other team in the DIV got better...on paper...all look capable of 9 to 10 wins...(especially ATL & NO) any slip from CAR and this will be a dogfight in '16.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now we added LB Deion Jones from LSU and TE Austin Hooper from Stanford. At least they're addressing our biggest needs.

Our biggest needs to attacking the QB, and I hate to be the Debbie Downer, but they didn't not directly do that.

I give us a C-.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schweitzer looks like a beast especially in the game against Auburn. I think he could eventually get some playing time in the next couple of years.

And he already knows the system.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our biggest needs to attacking the QB, and I hate to be the Debbie Downer, but they didn't not directly do that.

I give us a C-.

Welcome aboard! Born & Raised...you are a rare bird my fellow Atlantan.

What you speak is the truth, and the FO has heard that all day as you are probably aware.

Falcon beat writer Leadbetter put that very question to Quinn and company asking how does Neal effect the pass rush...the answer he got...better coverage, they feel like Derrick Shelby, FA from MIA will be a factor in the pass rush, Adrian Clayborne they expect to play DE more this yr...he played inside a fair amount of snaps LY...more growth from VB.

I think they get 2 starters from this group...Neal and it sounds like Hooper has the goods to start at some point during the season from all the info I'm getting on him....Jones is going to play...if he picks up the DEF quick...he could start, but I'll say he will be part of a sub-pkg for now.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seemed like that was pretty well known. I have a link for it in post #3 and I think the Bills were trying to spin it optimistically until it was a foregone conclusion. It's too bad for the Bills because he could have been able to make an impact right away...at least he'll be able to play about half of his rookie season.

Yep...several teams red flagged him...but reportedly he tweaked it in some drills during rookie OTAs.

There is some talk that even if 100% ATL didn't think he would start for them...at least not from the outset...they think Neal is a day one starter.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...several teams red flagged him...but reportedly he tweaked it in some drills during rookie OTAs.

There is some talk that even if 100% ATL didn't think he would start for them...at least not from the outset...they think Neal is a day one starter.
It's really tough to say how solid Neal and the rest of them will be coming out of the gate. Pretty much all of them are projects and I don't know if we'll have a clear picture of what we have until sometime in the fall.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really tough to say how solid Neal and the rest of them will be coming out of the gate. Pretty much all of them are projects and I don't know if we'll have a clear picture of what we have until sometime in the fall.

No doubt, agree 100%...how well Neal will play is a total unknown...the point I'm making is Quinn and staff seem to indicate he is a plug and play guy...I don't get the sense they felt the same way about Lawson.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt, agree 100%...how well Neal will play is a total unknown...the point I'm making is Quinn and staff seem to indicate he is a plug and play guy...I don't get the sense they felt the same way about Lawson.
I hear you. A lot of people thought we reached for Neal without Lawson in the picture though. I'm hoping he proves them wrong but I'm not overly optimistic about year 1.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you. A lot of people thought we reached for Neal without Lawson in the picture though. I'm hoping he proves them wrong but I'm not overly optimistic about year 1.

There's not way to sugarcoat it...they did reach on Neal based on what the board looked like, but it's not as big a reach as I was thinking initially.

Ragland, and or Lee had a lot of support including mine. Those were two other DEF players we thought we good candidates for ATL.

Well...somewhat quickly, the traditional run stopping MLB stock has dropped...evident by Ragland going in the 2nd rd. clearly he had a 1st rd grade and was mocked that way on most boards I saw. Teams are migrating to LBs with speed that can support the run and still cover.

Lee...he fits that mold of LB, but they really felt Neal would not be on the board in the 2nd, but Deion Jones would be so they took Neal and were correct Jones was there and they felt he could give them the same thing Lee could.

The next guy that made sense to me as a strong side DE was Dodd...he went in the 2nd rd.

Of course idk what Neal is going to do, but just listening to Dave Archer and some of the analyst that really know the Falcons...Arch thinks Neal will have a learning curve, but can pick up where Willie Mo left off fairly quickly and better in coverage eventually.