• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kawhi to Toronto

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it’s way too early to say he’s going to the Lakers next year. I agree. That was kind of my point. The story changes.

It's too early to say anything one way or the other. Heck, Toronto may decide to trade him if things aren't going as well as they hope and if it's to someone other than the Lakers, he may decide to stay there.

One of the rumors was that the Sixers were the one EC team that he would consider re-signing with. If things aren't going the way the Raptors hope, or if it's looking like Kawhi isn't coming back, the Sixers might make another run at him.

It's a looooong way from now until next off-season and all kinds of things can happen.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too early to say anything one way or the other. Heck, Toronto may decide to trade him if things aren't going as well as they hope and if it's to someone other than the Lakers, he may decide to stay there.

One of the rumors was that the Sixers were the one EC team that he would consider re-signing with. If things aren't going the way the Raptors hope, or if it's looking like Kawhi isn't coming back, the Sixers might make another run at him.

It's a looooong way from now until next off-season and all kinds of things can happen.

This is true but it's boring to not speculate.

:lol:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true but it's boring to not speculate.

:lol:

Yeah, the problem though is that if someone posts that Kawhi may stay in Toronto and a Lakers fan says "He also may still come to LA" then idiots start saying stupid shit like "Lakers fans are assuming that he's going to opt out and sign with the Lakers".

They also don't take into consideration that it's a much deeper FA group than we just saw and seem to think that if they don't get Kawhi, they aren't getting anyone.

Of course, a lot of those same folks said that Lebron "never sign with the Lakers without another max guy" or that "they'd be trading off all of the young guys if he did".

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My main argument was, the Lakers shouldn’t bank on getting him via FA. If they want him, they should’ve traded for him. They could still trade for him, but now it’s out of their hands.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously?!? How many times does it have to be stated that it wasn't about which young guys were or were not "untouchable"?

It was about the Spurs reportedly wanting ALL of the young guys except Ball,
plus 2 future firsts and 2 "swaps".

It's going to be a deeper class, so the Lakers can still get Kawhi or another max guy and keep their young guys. Not sure what's so difficult to understand.

The only deal i heard the lakers offer was ingram, deng, and a future 1st which was a terrible offer.

Considering none of the lakers young guys are proving stars, makes sense why the spurs would want at least 2 of them

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main argument was, the Lakers shouldn’t bank on getting him via FA. If they want him, they should’ve traded for him. They could still trade for him, but now it’s out of their hands.

No one that I know of is banking on getting Kawhi. As I have pointed out, it's going to be a deeper FA class. Just because the focus is on Kawhi, doesn't mean that is the only player the Lakers will chase.

As I said earlier, if they feel like they can get AD (I incorrectly posted KD earlier), I expect that they would forget about Kawhi and go after him.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only deal i heard the lakers offer was ingram, deng, and a future 1st which was a terrible offer.

Considering none of the lakers young guys are proving stars, makes sense why the spurs would want at least 2 of them

See, here's the problem in all of this. Some folks heard that only Kuzma was untouchable (which made no sense). Some folks said that Ingram was untouchable (which does make sense).

Now you say that you heard the offer was Ingram, Deng and a pick. Yet, the only credible rumors I heard were that the Spurs wanted Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, 2 future firsts and 2 future swaps and wouldn't take Deng in the deal.

Bottom line, you had the most closed mouth player in the league and the most buttoned up team in the league and everybody else thinks they somehow know what each was doing/thinking.

I seriously doubt that we'll ever know what the Spurs really demanded or what the Lakers real counter offer was.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one that I know of is banking on getting Kawhi. As I have pointed out, it's going to be a deeper FA class. Just because the focus is on Kawhi, doesn't mean that is the only player the Lakers will chase.

As I said earlier, if they feel like they can get AD (I incorrectly posted KD earlier), I expect that they would forget about Kawhi and go after him.
AD’s player option is for the 2020-2021 season, so he won’t be a free agent for at least 2 years.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant to type AD, not KD. Taking AD over Kawhi would not be a mistake. But taking KD over him would be.

No way.

Taking KD would almost guarantee a championship, maybe multiple. No such guarantee with Kawhi.

FIRst, I have always thought KD would be the perfect compliment to LeBron. 2 batmans, 1 is an elite super efficient playmaker and the other is an elite super efficient scorer. Both can defend multiple positions.

Also, as we discussed earlier with Klay, if KD is on the Lakers in 2020, it means he isn't on the Warriors.

If the Lakers have the option, you take KD and it is a stone cold no brainer decision.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And my point is that they are absolutely correct not to trade for him.

Because as good as Lebron and Kawhi would be, it isn't enough to seriously challenge the Warriors. They need LeBron, Kawhi, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart and all the other role players they will acquire for cheap.

Giving up all those pieces for Kawhi is thinking small. Yes, it is a gamble. But the Lakers are playing the long game to build a real championship contender. Not a 60 win team that gets throttled in the WCF.

The Lakers need to gamble to catch GS. Had they signed George too, I would have been all in on a Kawhi trade. Not now. They need to be patient.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AD is NOT a free agent next summer.

Plus, AD would have to give up a HUGE sum of money to leave the Pelicans as he can get one of the special Durant Rule extensions which are humongous.

the Durant Rule Designated player extension is 5 years 230 million. If he left to go to the Lakers he could get a max of like 4 years 140M, but as i said- hes signed for the next 2 years with a player option for a 3rd year.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And my point is that they are absolutely correct not to trade for him.

Because as good as Lebron and Kawhi would be, it isn't enough to seriously challenge the Warriors. They need LeBron, Kawhi, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart and all the other role players they will acquire for cheap.

Giving up all those pieces for Kawhi is thinking small. Yes, it is a gamble. But the Lakers are playing the long game to build a real championship contender. Not a 60 win team that gets throttled in the WCF.

The Lakers need to gamble to catch GS. Had they signed George too, I would have been all in on a Kawhi trade. Not now. They need to be patient.
The Lakers could’ve signed both PG and gotten Kawhi for peanuts and they still would get throttled in the WCF.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers could’ve signed both PG and gotten Kawhi for peanuts and they still would get throttled in the WCF.
ehh,i dont think they would have gotten throttled if they got those 2 guys.

However, the longer they wait, the worse chances they have of capitalizing on LeBron's remaining prime years.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably.

Doesn't change my point that it is strategically wrong to trade for Kawhi if the goal is a championship.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ehh,i dont think they would have gotten throttled if they got those 2 guys.

However, the longer they wait, the worse chances they have of capitalizing on LeBron's remaining prime years.

It is a lot.

But there will be some players like Kawhi who choose to leave anyway.

It all depends on whether AD thinks the Pels are heading in the right direction or not. Personally, I see husband NO career going a lot like Garnett's in Minnesota. I hope for AD's sake he doesn't stay too long if the Pelicans can't put the necessary talent around him.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those guys are hardly seasoned professionals is my point. They lack the finesse or at least business sense of real agents.
Agreed, but that is who is apparently making decisions for him and communicating on his behalf.