• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kawhi to Toronto

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the kiddie corps aint doing shit Mecca

itll be at least 3-4 years till Ingram and Ball are even beginning to enter their primes. How often do you see young teams win in the NBA?

The overwhelming sentiment on the Cavs was trade Wiggins since his prime did not line up to LeBron's- and it made sense.

4 years later that is only magnified.

Even if Ingram is eventually Durant Jr., he is not getting there anytime soon.
While I pretty much agree with what you've said here, I just don't think it will take them 3 -4 years to enter their primes.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just meant that Texas has no state income tax.

So if the spurs paid that bonus, he got more of it than he would if it was paid in Canuckistan
I don't think income tax is an issue for the most part. They make enough

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can be a multi million dollar loss for athletes.

It always makes me laugh when people try to use taxes as a reason that a player won't play somewhere.

At their income levels, taxes don't mean much. There is nothing that a player can afford in Texas, that he can't afford in California or Canada. I can't think of one player that has ever not signed with a team because of the taxes in that teams state.

I mean, if taxes are a consideration at all, why can't a player friendly owner like Mark Cuban ever seem to land any top FA's in a state with no income tax?

Also, they get taxed according to the taxes of each state they play in. So, if they are in a high tax state, they only pay those taxes for roughly half the season.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right to a point, but here is why you are wrong.

There are some nice pieces there. Pieces that would fit very well alongside LeBron and Kawhi. Because those two by themselves is a great start, but it isn't enough to challenge GS.

Kawhi got dealt to the perfect landing spot for the Lakers. There is very little chance of him staying there long term. In 2019 the Lakers will be the front runners to sign Kawhi without giving up any of their young pieces.

A couple weeks ago I would have said hell yeah. Make the trade happen. Now, there is literally no reason to do it. Not to mention that the Raptors want to try and win the East this year.
There’s already sources predicting Kawhi is going to re sign with the raptors.

Rumor: People close to Kawhi Leonard think he’ll re-sign with Raptors

Not saying it’s legit or that kawhi is definitely staying in Toronto, but it gives the Lakers a reason to get a deal done quick. I wouldn’t be surprised if a PG version 2 happens here. Kawhi felt disrespected by the spurs. Toronto liking his game enough to trade a top player for him, and then treating him like he wants to be treated goes a long way in resigning him. Even more so if they are a top contender in the east. It’s definitely not outside of the realm of possibility. The Lakers fucked this up by not wanting to give up role players for kawhi. They might still get him, but it’s definitely note assured 100%

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing is 100 % but I think Pop not trading him to the Lakers is closer to it than anything else.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers fucked this up by not wanting to give up role players for kawhi.

lol

Maybe he can have a practice with them or at least rent an apartment before we start saying he's staying.

And no they didn't "fuck this up by not wanting to give up role players for Kawhi". San Antonio was asking for a helluva lot more than "role players".

Also, the next FA class looks to be a good bit deeper than this one. The Lakers are set up to be able to sign a max guy and keep all or most of their young talent. By the time FA rolls around, Kawhi may not even be the top target. I'd bet that if the Lakers think they can get KD, they'd pursue him over Kawhi.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the next FA class looks to be a good bit deeper than this one. The Lakers are set up to be able to sign a max guy and keep all or most of their young talent. By the time FA rolls around, Kawhi may not even be the top target. I'd bet that if the Lakers think they can get KD, they'd pursue him over Kawhi.

That's a big, and pretty unlikely 'if'

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers fucked this up by not wanting to give up role players for kawhi.

Yeah I didn't get why Kuzma was untouchable. He will be a solid pro but I don't see him ever being a star. If the Spurs were asking for Kuzma, I don't get why they wouldn't do it especially since all reports were Kawhi would resign if he got traded to LA.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

Maybe he can have a practice with them or at least rent an apartment before we start saying he's staying.
S
And no they didn't "fuck this up by not wanting to give up role players for Kawhi". San Antonio was asking for a helluva lot more than "role players".

And if Kawhi is for sure healthy that would be a mistake. He has over 3 years on KD. He has to show he can be a star bur he has the talent.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not saying it’s legit or that kawhi is definitely staying in Toronto, but it gives the Lakers a reason to get a deal done quick. I wouldn’t be surprised if a PG version 2 happens here. Kawhi felt disrespected by the spurs. Toronto liking his game enough to trade a top player for him, and then treating him like he wants to be treated goes a long way in resigning him. Even more so if they are a top contender in the east. It’s definitely not outside of the realm of possibility. The Lakers fucked this up by not wanting to give up role players for kawhi. They might still get him, but it’s definitely note assured 100%
He hasn't played a game there but he's leaning towards re-signing?

Riiiiiiiiiight.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

They wanted Ingram.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Might it be the guy who washes his car that said this?

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might it be the guy who washes his car that said this?
I’m just pointing out the story. Kawhi might resign like PG did. A lot of what kawhi didn’t like about SA can be addressed by Toronto. I could easily see him resigning in Toronto. I think that’s a better possibility at this point than him going to the Lakers. He’s still got a years worth of playing there. If he’s embraced like DeRozan was, what’s stopping him from staying? DeRozan didn’t even want to leave for one of the best franchises in the nba led by the best coach in the nba. You can’t just expect him to call it quits after 1 year. That’s bad business. Anyone but Lebron on the Lakers is a role player and is expendable in a trade for kawhi. You can replace what ball, Ingram, kuzma, etc. provide via free agents. You’re falling into the same trap the bulls did when they refused to give up Luol Deng in a trade for Kevin Garnett.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m just pointing out the story. Kawhi might resign like PG did. A lot of what kawhi didn’t like about SA can be addressed by Toronto. I could easily see him resigning in Toronto. I think that’s a better possibility at this point than him going to the Lakers. He’s still got a years worth of playing there. If he’s embraced like DeRozan was, what’s stopping him from staying? DeRozan didn’t even want to leave for one of the best franchises in the nba led by the best coach in the nba. You can’t just expect him to call it quits after 1 year. That’s bad business. Anyone but Lebron on the Lakers is a role player and is expendable in a trade for kawhi. You can replace what ball, Ingram, kuzma, etc. provide via free agents. You’re falling into the same trap the bulls did when they refused to give up Luol Deng in a trade for Kevin Garnett.

Yeah assuming there is no chance Kawhi resigns in Toronto is dumb. Lakers fans should have learned from PG-13. A lot of them were so sure PG would opt out and sign with them.....And Kawhi is in a better situation than PG is/was when he got traded to OKC.

Far from a lock that he leaves Toronto