• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just started smoked...smoked my first few items.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recently I finally purchased a smoker....a Masterbuilt from Bass Pro. Been wanting to smoke for a while just was always nervous. I was at a friend's house during the OU/TN game and he made some amazing brisket, one of the best I have had. I couldn't believe he used an electric smoker. Well that convinced me I got an electric one, which so far has produced good results. I smoked my first salmon a couple weeks ago, and last weekend did some chicken thighs and brats. They turned out pretty good, but I can tell I am a beginner.

BTW..I love the smell. Nothing like walking outside to the smell of mesquite and some kind of meat smoking.

Does anyone here a have any tips for smokers or recipes for someone just starting off?

Thanks,

This is the one I got.

51tNH8jKBHL._SL1200_.jpg

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it use regular split wood or wood chips or pellets.???

Mesquite can get overpowering quick, did it get heavy smoke?/

Never used an electric but have always thought smoking is smoking. Can you cook a big brisket or pork shoulder on it/what's the capacity/how big is that thing,hard to tell by the picture.

Practice makes perfect/keep going.
Maybe try injecting the meat/lots of different things you can do there.

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recently I finally purchased a smoker....a Masterbuilt from Bass Pro. Been wanting to smoke for a while just was always nervous. I was at a friend's house during the OU/TN game and he made some amazing brisket, one of the best I have had. I couldn't believe he used an electric smoker. Well that convinced me I got an electric one, which so far has produced good results. I smoked my first salmon a couple weeks ago, and last weekend did some chicken thighs and brats. They turned out pretty good, but I can tell I am a beginner.

BTW..I love the smell. Nothing like walking outside to the smell of mesquite and some kind of meat smoking.

Does anyone here a have any tips for smokers or recipes for someone just starting off?

Thanks,

This is the one I got.

View attachment 128052
-74eda1f5-05cd-4c0e-901c-c225acd73543_1000.jpg

just got this traeger wood pellet smoker about a month ago its the lil tex elite 22.. its electric also .. im loving this smoker ... tip dont be afraid to cook on it .. an 8 lb brisket was the 3rd thing I smoked on mine and it came out wonderful .. I dont know what I have done without one of these all these years

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been thinking about getting a smoker myself...Due to the rules of my building it'll have to be an electric...

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 128101

just got this traeger wood pellet smoker about a month ago its the lil tex elite 22.. its electric also .. im loving this smoker ... tip dont be afraid to cook on it .. an 8 lb brisket was the 3rd thing I smoked on mine and it came out wonderful .. I dont know what I have done without one of these all these years

That's my next target, been reading up on them and have a couple buddies that swear by them......
I have an smaller Brinkman that I purposely sit next to and drink beer, ( just to get out of chores wifey is trying to get me to do.)

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my next target, been reading up on them and have a couple buddies that swear by them......
I have an smaller Brinkman that I purposely sit next to and drink beer, ( just to get out of chores wifey is trying to get me to do.)
I have a couple of buddies that swear by them too .. I was also looking at the pit boss brand pellet smoker also they are pretty much the same set up but cost a bit less and they seam to be made just as well.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Never used an electric but have always thought smoking is smoking. Can you cook a big brisket or pork shoulder on it/what's the capacity/how big is that thing,hard to tell by the picture.

This is what I have been using.

817wbBeRxZL._SY450_.jpg

I can cook ribs, brisket and a shoulder. Just haven't tried it yet.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 128101

What Misko said. Just go after it. I highly recommend any recipes by Steve Raichlen. The dude knows his shit. I use my brothers smoker and I love that old fucking steel drum. All my meat turns out beautiful. And I use a lot of Steve Rsichlen's recipes, they are crowd pleasers.

1236625_10203653969374331_1501420520_n.jpg

1972408_10203653969574336_1756804023_n.jpg

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 128199

armadillo eggs after... these beauty's are gastronomical delights.. mix softened philly cheese with chedar cheese stuff jalapeno peppers with that and then wrap loose pork sausage around the jalapeno to form an egg

Those look good.....

I will throw those on with 4th of July meatloaf ........

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 128199

armadillo eggs after... these beauty's are gastronomical delights.. mix softened philly cheese with chedar cheese stuff jalapeno peppers with that and then wrap loose pork sausage around the jalapeno to form an egg

I've smoked for years but never tried these. That will change.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some easy shit to smoke
-meatloaf (make sure it has plenty of onion, you can't beat that smell) 225 for 3-4 hrs
-pork tenderloin 225 for 3-4 hrs
-whole chicken or chicken quarters(cheap and easy) 225 for 3-4 hours
-hot links 225 about 2 hrs
-turkey legs 225 about 2 hrs
a big thing to remember is after it's got some smoke wrap it up in aluminum foil. If you don't it will dry out. Rough idea on how long for the above about half way through.

This is just some general stuff I've learned over the years.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My smoker always put more smoke flavor in than my electric. I always use hickory.