• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just installed a new SSD on my laptop

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And damn, this thing screams now. I have a 2010 or 2011 macbook pro and it was getting a little sluggish with it's 5400 RPM drive. Finally ponied up the money for a 500 Gb SSD, now that prices have dropped so low, and it just makes all the difference in the world. The OS installed in like 15 minutes, simply amazing. Now I need to throw in 16 GB of RAM and get this thing crankin'.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recently did the same for my home PC and the thing just flies. Off to fully ready in under 3 seconds. Games load and play instantly. Unpacking files and the like are lightning fast.

SSD's have not only dropped in price, but have become far more durable than the early units were. Still, I wouldn't run a SSD and not have frequent backups of anything you care about on them. Should have that going anyway, but for sure on those.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And damn, this thing screams now. I have a 2010 or 2011 macbook pro and it was getting a little sluggish with it's 5400 RPM drive. Finally ponied up the money for a 500 Gb SSD, now that prices have dropped so low, and it just makes all the difference in the world. The OS installed in like 15 minutes, simply amazing. Now I need to throw in 16 GB of RAM and get this thing crankin'.

Really can't get a better return on performance improvement per dollar than going to an SSD. It is, by far, the best single upgrade you can make because HDDs are so slow.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recently did the same for my home PC and the thing just flies. Off to fully ready in under 3 seconds. Games load and play instantly. Unpacking files and the like are lightning fast.

SSD's have not only dropped in price, but have become far more durable than the early units were. Still, I wouldn't run a SSD and not have frequent backups of anything you care about on them. Should have that going anyway, but for sure on those.

IDK, SSDs seem to be more durable in concept compared to a spinning disc in a portable device. We recently switched our classrooms over to all SSDs and anecdotally it seems like we have far fewer issues with HD crashes and corrupt OSs. I also don't have many important files anymore. Maybe some pictures, my ITunes library and my taxes folder. Pretty easy to keep backed up.

The thing that gets me is how quick it wakes up when I open the laptop lid. It's like instantly available. It was getting to the point on my old HD that it was taking like 2 minutes to be fully functional once up.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK, SSDs seem to be more durable in concept compared to a spinning disc in a portable device. We recently switched our classrooms over to all SSDs and anecdotally it seems like we have far fewer issues with HD crashes and corrupt OSs. I also don't have many important files anymore. Maybe some pictures, my ITunes library and my taxes folder. Pretty easy to keep backed up.

The thing that gets me is how quick it wakes up when I open the laptop lid. It's like instantly available. It was getting to the point on my old HD that it was taking like 2 minutes to be fully functional once up.
Early SSD's were far less durable. The first two I had each lasted less than a year. And when they go bad they simply die. Rarely have I had a HD die without some partial ability to recover something. I mean it does happen.

Every SSD does have a finite lifespan. The physical process of tunneling electrons into and out of the cells degrades the surfaces and electrons can get stuck in the walls of some cells making them useless. Of course today's units are designed to write at least 100Tb or more before failures and they do have spare unused space like hard drives.

I was just bitten too many times by early products to not still be cautious. I don't keep any actual data on mine, just the OS and program files. I do love that Windows 10 makes it easy to move where things are stored like pictures and documents.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Silent data corruption on storage media is an issue in general, usually over-clockers experience this more commonly due to a system run over spec. It's not uniquely a HDD issue, SSD's can also be affected and this does happen on systems running within spec. There are several causes for this but all come down to some electromagnetic interference of some sort. You have Spread Spectrum (electro-magnetic output compliance) setting in the system bios and system Ram does have a certain percentage of errant signals that do pass through (very low) . Hence the need for ECC (error correcting) ram on enterprise servers. This is why I usually do a fresh install every year or so. All systems are susceptible silent data corruption to one degree or another.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a crucial m4 crap out on me a year ago. Not sure if I just got some random corruption in the boot sector or not, but I lost faith in it. The Samsung SSDs have been excellent so far - running 840pro (2 years) and an 850 EVO for about a year without issues.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a crucial m4 crap out on me a year ago. Not sure if I just got some random corruption in the boot sector or not, but I lost faith in it. The Samsung SSDs have been excellent so far - running 840pro (2 years) and an 850 EVO for about a year without issues.
Glad to hear the 850 EVO is working out for you. That's the one I recently installed as my OS drive. Set it up with their Rapid mode feature and there's no doubt it's insanely fast.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good choice Wiz.... Samsung makes everything from the ARM processor to the NAND memory in that SSD. You have a nice build on your new Skylake system. Made some solid choices on hardware. ASUS is my board of choice as well - I've used nothing but ASUS boards going back around the first generations of pentiums.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good choice Wiz.... Samsung makes everything from the ARM processor to the NAND memory in that SSD. You have a nice build on your new Skylake system. Made some solid choices on hardware. ASUS is my board of choice as well - I've used nothing but ASUS boards going back around the first generations of pentiums.
Did a full fresh 10 install on it as well. Yes, because of the MB and drive change I had to first to the upgrade and after it authorized went back and did a straight install.

So far things have been going very smoothly.