• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh McDaniels says "Not Interetsed"

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine 10 Interviews and No Coach. LOL Just sad. I have a feeling Shanahan is going to say yes. This would be Big for 49ers. Only other coach I wanted was McDaniels.

I think they wanted to wait till the playoff coaches were available. Not sure how many of the others they were serious about other than McDaniel. I think they were focused on McDaniel or Shanahan

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have no doubt Jed will pay the price in his new contract. He will also have to pay the price for all the Assistant Coaches. You don't clear the slate just to go 'half azzed'.

As far as Front Office issues, Baalke is gone so are you referring to Paraag? If not, what 'front office' issues remain? If you're referring to recent history, yes there is a track record, but what can Jed do about history at this point?

Paraag is just one part of the puzzle, but there have been consistent reports out there so they just can't be dismissed

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Shanahan is as good as anyone out there. I don't see anyone out there who they could realistically get who is any better. I would probably take Shanahan over Josh McDaniels. I have more question marks with him
That's one of the reasons it was foolish to fire Kelly when they did.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Paraag is just one part of the puzzle, but there have been consistent reports out there so they just can't be dismissed

Yes, there have been reports but only on Baalke, Harbaugh, and Jed. If you want to throw Paraag in there, no problem, but also remembered he was demoted. So I can't see Paraag REALLY getting into that "front office" mix?

I don't recall anything on Gamble nor Kelly.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Cable and the Sea GM candidate bowing out, perhaps they and McDaniels were all informed of the direction SF was going in (Shanahan) and were 'allowed' to renounce their interests to save face? That's what I'm hoping for given now it's being widely reported that it's 'almost certain' that Shanny signs a multi-year deal with the Niners.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With Cable and the Sea GM candidate bowing out, perhaps they and McDaniels were all informed of the direction SF was going in (Shanahan) and were 'allowed' to renounce their interests to save face? That's what I'm hoping for given now it's being widely reported that it's 'almost certain' that Shanny signs a multi-year deal with the Niners.

it makes sense for Cable but not so sure for McDaniels? Anyway, McDaniels had his reasons and if he didn't REALLY want to be here, don't force it.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was one report that the job was McDaniels if he wanted it. Can't force it. If McDaniel's doesn't want it he isn't going to take it

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, there have been reports but only on Baalke, Harbaugh, and Jed. If you want to throw Paraag in there, no problem, but also remembered he was demoted. So I can't see Paraag REALLY getting into that "front office" mix?

I don't recall anything on Gamble nor Kelly.

The demotion was on paper but he still has a large role over football operations and is a trusted York advisor. Those aren't the reports I was referring to. I was referring to reports out there stating that McDaniels was advised not to take the job. Same with the NE GM. There were a number of reports out there. Same thing happened last year. They have to work hard to try and restore the reputation league cause it has taken a hit.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The demotion was on paper but he still has a large role over football operations and is a trusted York advisor. Those aren't the reports I was referring to. I was referring to reports out there stating that McDaniels was advised not to take the job. Same with the NE GM. There were a number of reports out there. Same thing happened last year. They have to work hard to try and restore the reputation league cause it has taken a hit.

Yes, the 49er reputation has taken a hit, but from Jed's perspective TODAY, he can't do anything about it. When he goes and interviews candidates now, he can't change recent history. Jed can't address the front office issues TODAY, so that candidates are appeased and become willing to come here.

Not going to be easy because it is pretty apparent by now there are front office issues that haven't been addressed with multiple reports coming out about candidate's reluctance to work for the 49ers

BTW - I'd think ALL candidates are fully aware of recent 49er history. I'm sure their agents have done the research and filled them in. But people are still interviewing because the urge to be promoted is higher than being advised to avoid the 49ers.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is the only one I know of that turned the position down. Not sure they really offered it to anyone else yet.
Kyle Shanahan will most likely be the new head coach. He would be a much better pick than McDaniel.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the 49er reputation has taken a hit, but from Jed's perspective TODAY, he can't do anything about it. When he goes and interviews candidates now, he can't change recent history. Jed can't address the front office issues TODAY, so that candidates are appeased and become willing to come here.

Not going to be easy because it is pretty apparent by now there are front office issues that haven't been addressed with multiple reports coming out about candidate's reluctance to work for the 49ers

BTW - I'd think ALL candidates are fully aware of recent 49er history. I'm sure their agents have done the research and filled them in. But people are still interviewing because the urge to be promoted is higher than being advised to avoid the 49ers.

What he can do is what he started to do. Getting rid of Baalke and bringing in a credible coach and GM. If he accomplishes this it is a start. He also needs to put an end to the front office leaks. That is hurting the organization more than it is the people they are targeting. This has happened recently with the leaks ripping Baalke. FO people and coaches in the league have connections and they get information about what it is like working inside the building.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Shanahan will most likely be the new head coach. He would be a much better pick than McDaniel.

I hope so. I have always been a fan of the Shanahans. I wanted his father to be HC instead of Chip Kelly. I would have been okay with McDaniel but I see more question marks with him.

Reactions: GNG

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell at this point it could be a father son combo for GM & HC respectively...should be interesting to see how this all shakes out...I'm guessing there is an unofficial agreement that has been reached

That would be great for the organization. For all the risks and head scratching moves Mike and Kyle did in Washington, they did have a few moments of excellence on the field and in the draft.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To make a good break, dump Marathe. Why this no talent ass clown is still in the building is beyond me. I would have fired him long ago.

Will Kyle Shanahan use leverage to push further on personnel control?

Off and on I've heard that Marathe and his numbers guys have periodically 'suggested' plays that should be used in certain situations. If I'm Shanahan, that's maybe #1 on my list of things that I demand ends immediately..."you're hiring me because of my offensive expertise, I'm running the offense the way I see fit, don't you DARE try to dictate what plays we use and when." I'd probably insist also that if Marathe wants to negotiate contracts, fine, but he butts out on actual personnel decisions (who we acquire, who we let go, etc.). That's the province of the GM and myself.

And unless Jed wants to have egg on his face, he'd have to agree. He has no one else to turn to at this point.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it makes sense for Cable but not so sure for McDaniels? Anyway, McDaniels had his reasons and if he didn't REALLY want to be here, don't force it.

I guess there may be some handshake deals in NE for McDaniels....a raise, a higher title, etc. that convinced him to stay. The original reports were that he was interested in the SF job....but it's history now. All signs point to Shanahan, as it does look like a done deal.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very well said. And they need to get this right. They aren't going to pay another coach not to coach so the next hire is going to be here awhile.

I would the next coach will have a long leash. I can't imagine the Niners hiring a new coach after the 2017 season. That would be a first to fire four coaches in four years. Shanahan will probably have some demands. He's in a good situation knowing that the Niners don't have another candidate. If he turns down the Niners down, Jed and company are back to square one.