• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jordan Matthews to Patriots

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised when the Eagles moved him but I guess they found their slot guy when Agholor stepped up.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see him working out really well for the Pats next year.

Hope so.... I'm more interested in what the Patriots do with their draft picks

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope so.... I'm more interested in what the Patriots do with their draft picks
Well one less thing to worry about come draft time if NE got a healthy Jordan?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its a solid signing. Now that he has had the surgery and recovered, he played well in Philly. I think this is a solid move.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People keep saying a replacement for Cooks.
Cooks was smaller and faster, but he did not fight for contested balls.
Matthews is slower, 5" taller, and will fight for balls.
He is also a more agile slot receiver.

He may not go deep often, but I am guessing he will be productive for the Pats.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People keep saying a replacement for Cooks.
Cooks was smaller and faster, but he did not fight for contested balls.
Matthews is slower, 5" taller, and will fight for balls.
He is also a more agile slot receiver.

He may not go deep often, but I am guessing he will be productive for the Pats.
He's replacing a WR spot on the roster. NEs game isn't the long ball. If JM is healthy he's a better fit in NE replacing Cooks productivity. Also a big target BB hasn't had. Him, Gronk, JE and a RB in the RZ will be extremely difficult to cover.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's replacing a WR spot on the roster. NEs game isn't the long ball. If JM is healthy he's a better fit in NE replacing Cooks productivity. Also a big target BB hasn't had. Him, Gronk, JE and a RB in the RZ will be extremely difficult to cover.
I don't know why anyone says "NEs game isn't the long ball". It is the long ball. It's the short ball, crossing ball, screen ball and hidden ball too. The point of the long ball is not just to connect, but also to force the oposition to game plan for everything.

Tom Brady loves the long ball. He just doesn't always have the personnel to make it as effective as we all would like.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why anyone says "NEs game isn't the long ball". It is the long ball. It's the short ball, crossing ball, screen ball and hidden ball too. The point of the long ball is not just to connect, but also to force the oposition to game plan for everything.

Tom Brady loves the long ball. He just doesn't always have the personnel to make it as effective as we all would like.
Yeah but TB 12 is now putting more air under those balls, I noticed it about two years ago. The long ball IMO is becoming a liability.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With that reasoning then every team is a long ball team.
TB12s game is all about timming. Running concise routes.
Sure a deep threat keeps the D honest but TB12 will never be defined as a deep ball thrower.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With that reasoning then every team is a long ball team.
TB12s game is all about timming. Running concise routes.
Sure a deep threat keeps the D honest but TB12 will never be defined as a deep ball thrower.

This is what I was thinking. Long ball offenses make me think of Bruce Arians and his wanting to push the ball down the field consistently. I think of Norv Turner and his 7-step drops to let plays develop down the field. Every team at some point in the game will test a defense deep. It is just part of every offense. The Pats though rely much more on the short/intermediate passing game with Brady's ability to get the ball out quickly and to the right receiver to be successful. Brady is the smartest guy on the field every time he steps onto the field. Those types of minds fit perfect with the short passing game and why arm talent is not an absolute need to make it work.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I was thinking. Long ball offenses make me think of Bruce Arians and his wanting to push the ball down the field consistently. I think of Norv Turner and his 7-step drops to let plays develop down the field. Every team at some point in the game will test a defense deep. It is just part of every offense. The Pats though rely much more on the short/intermediate passing game with Brady's ability to get the ball out quickly and to the right receiver to be successful. Brady is the smartest guy on the field every time he steps onto the field. Those types of minds fit perfect with the short passing game and why arm talent is not an absolute need to make it work.
Absolutely

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe some NE fans should listen to you? Apparently they're not watching the same games we are?

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love this signing too. Could pay off big time if he remains healthy and catches onto the system. Him and Niklas signing could be very good for this team. More hope for Jordan than Niklas at this point.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's nice having Tom Brady as your quarterback.

Along with the near two-decades of Super Bowl contention, the fact that the quarterback is under center in Foxboro on game day also draws players to town, especially on offense. The latest example: Jordan Matthews.

According to Mike Reiss of ESPN who spoke to someone close to the wide receiver, Matthews decided to sign a one-year deal with New England because he wanted to play alongside Brady. Reiss notes that Matthews also had other offers from Arizona, Green Bay and Tennessee.

Playing with an elite quarterback is something that Matthews hasn't been able to do throughout his NFL career thus far, so it's not too surprising to see him put an emphasis on coming to New England with Brady. In his four year career, Matthews has caught passes from the likes of Nick Foles, Mark Sanchez and Tyrod Taylor.

Now that he has Brady, that's basically like going from a bike to the Bentley.

Despite the lackluster play by his quarterbacks, Matthews has been able to put up some solid numbers. Even with his 6-foot-3, 212 pound frame, the wide out has played primarily in the slot. Between his rookie season in 2014 and his final year with the Eagles in 2016, Pro Football Focus notes that Matthews gained the most yards from the slot out-performing the likes of Randall Cobb, Jarvis Landry, Doug Baldwin and Larry Fitzgerald in that timeframe.

Matthews was traded to Buffalo prior to the start of the 2017 season and his lone season as a Bill wasn't as productive as his time with the Eagles was. He dealt with injuries which held him to just 10 games played and 25 receptions for 282 yards. Matthews was placed on injured reserve due to a knee injury in early December.

Prior to landing in Buffalo, Matthews did have three straight seasons of over 800 yards receiving and over 65 catches. 2015 proved to be his most productive season in the NFL totaling 85 catches for 997 yards and eight touchdowns.

While he may been acquired in the same week as the Brandin Cooks trade, Matthews will likely be more of a replacement for Danny Amendola than the current Rams wide out, given his prowess as a slot receiver. Similar to Amendola, Matthews also has the potential to be a strong player in the red zone. Over the course of his career, he's been able to haul in 28 of his 45 targets in the red area and turn 15 of those grabs into a touchdown.

With that production couple with the fact that he was doing it with less-than-stellar quarterback play, it'll be interesting to see how quickly Matthews can build up a rapport with Tom Brady and what kind of numbers they can put up together in 2018.

:thumb::thumb::thumb: