• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jones skipping minicamp

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since it's a forgone conclusion we will re-sign Julio I'm just going to post this.

wL1E1xG.jpg

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's bad for the Dirty Birds, it's good for humanity.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I still don't get how players sitting out helps them get more money....

It doesn't help get them more money but it does give them more time off from work and it might help push a team to trade him to a team that will pay him more.

In terms of trade nobody is going to give up a 1st for him and I can see at most him fetching a 2nd but I see his range more of fetching a 3rd rounder if the Falcons really want to trade him. Just too old and has an injury history along with the fact he will want a new expensive deal for a team to give up that valuable of a pick for him.

It's why big trades are typically rare in the NFL because teams usually never get a pick high enough to offset the loss of talent when trading a player.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it is rare but how much do you put on the player versus the agent versus the team? I mean all 3 should take some blame for that, no?

At the time of Julio's deal it was for a brief time the highest paid WR deal in the league...aside from the signing bonus it was not a front end loaded contract yr to yr....3 yrs later he's still the 8th highest paid so it held up reasonably well, but his play has held up better.

Difficult to project that I think.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the time of Julio's deal it was for a brief time the highest paid WR deal in the league...aside from the the signing bonus it was not a front end loaded contract yr to yr....3 yrs later he's still the 8th highest paid so it held up reasonably well, but his play has held up better.

oh of course you can't predict truly how a player will perform but as a player and an agent you would think you would do everything you could to get some guaranteed money in the deal later on, no?

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the time of Julio's deal it was for a brief time the highest paid WR deal in the league...aside from the signing bonus it was not a front end loaded contract yr to yr....3 yrs later he's still the 8th highest paid so it held up reasonably well, but his play has held up better.

I wonder if he would be holding out if he was playing like shit? It's nice to have it both ways.....These guys should honor contracts they signed.....Or don't sign them in the first place.....

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be interesting to follow, weren't there rumors he was going to be traded earlier this winter? If he's available I expect some big interest in him around the league.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh of course you can't predict truly how a player will perform but as a player and an agent you would think you would do everything you could to get some guaranteed money in the deal later on, no?

I suppose...agents/players typically want as much as possible upfront as well. Teams typically want that G$ off the books on 2nd contracts to prevent potential heavy dead money hits at the end of the contract when they have to waive a player.

It may be a per yr increase he's looking for but putting myself in his shoes...the guaranteed would mean more at this stage.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if he would be holding out if he was playing like shit? It's nice to have it both ways.....These guys should honor contracts they signed.....Or don't sign them in the first place.....

If 6yrs/$71 mil truly meant 6yrs/$71 mil I would agree with this in bold.