• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jones skipping minicamp

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll be ready for week 1

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, I would too if I were in his shoes. Lemme know when he's holding out in TC.

Same here due to the lack of guaranteed money and after the Ryan deal.
It will be interesting when training camp starts because after last season Sarkisian didn't get a chance to get comfortable with him and it showed during the season.

Steve Sarkisian has no worries about Julio Jones missing OTAs

Sarkisian is not fretting that All-Pro wide receiver Julio Jones is not with the team. He’s looking forward to having Jones for training camp. Jones did not attend any of the OTAs.

“This time last year he was in a boot,” Sarkisian said. “He didn’t really get going until halfway through training camp last year.”

Jones was an unknown going into the season for Sarkisian because he ran just a handful of plays in the exhibition season.

“I didn’t really know Julio quite yet,” Sarkisian said. “He only played three or four plays in the offense. For us as an offense, him being healthy going into training camp is going to be awesome for everybody. Also, having my experience with him for a year of just understanding him more and the type of player that he is, adds to that comfort level that I was talking about.”

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pay-that-man-his-money-quick-meme-com-russell-wilson-2252291.png

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always a handful of stars who like to sit out Mini-Camp. Really no big deal.

Sounds like right now the list is Le'Veon Bell, Julio Jones, Earl Thomas, Aaron Donald, and Khalil Mack.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here due to the lack of guaranteed money and after the Ryan deal.
It will be interesting when training camp starts because after last season Sarkisian didn't get a chance to get comfortable with him and it showed during the season.

Steve Sarkisian has no worries about Julio Jones missing OTAs

This obviously has been a big sportstalk topic the last 24 hrs here.

You kinda nailed it...not so much about Ryan's deal...mostly about zero G$ remaining on a 3 yr deal and feeling exposed...also not happy with 8th highest WR, realizes this is his last cash cow deal.

The pros...best player on the team, vital to OFC, in SB window right now...pay him.

The cons...WRs don't bring rings, limited TD maker, the old he should honor his contract, don't pay him.

IMO Julio is 1 or 1a with AB...but I would be more interested in taking the '19 & 20 seasons and converting that to a bonus so he knows he's got that money coming regardless of injury and then revisit the annual next year.

But...JJ is Dimtroff's claim to fame he made the big splash move to get him...I look for them to resolve this before camp....I'm not sure Julio would hold out of camp if it wasn't done, but you really can't blame him as a player.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This obviously has been a big sportstalk topic the last 24 hrs here.

You kinda nailed it...not so much about Ryan's deal...mostly about zero G$ remaining on a 3 yr deal and feeling exposed...also not happy with 8th highest WR, realizes this is his last cash cow deal.

The pros...best player on the team, vital to OFC, in SB window right now...pay him.

The cons...WRs don't bring rings, limited TD maker, the old he should honor his contract, don't pay him.

IMO Julio is 1 or 1a with AB...but I would be more interested in taking the '19 & 20 seasons and converting that to a bonus so he knows he's got that money coming regardless of injury and then revisit the annual next year.

But...JJ is Dimtroff's claim to fame he made the big splash move to get him...I look for them to resolve this before camp....I'm not sure Julio would hold out of camp if it wasn't done, but you really can't blame him as a player.

I understand Julio's side but to me if I'm the Falcons I'm telling him wait till next year. 3-years still left on the deal means he got a ton of up front cash already. They paid that man and I just can't justify this early into his big deal going ahead and re-doing it. To me this just seems like Revis situation where he keeps wanting to be that top paid player at his position instead of realizing that after a year or two his deal will get beat out because that is how this league works.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand Julio's side but to me if I'm the Falcons I'm telling him wait till next year. 3-years still left on the deal means he got a ton of up front cash already. They paid that man and I just can't justify this early into his big deal going ahead and re-doing it. To me this just seems like Revis situation where he keeps wanting to be that top paid player at his position instead of realizing that after a year or two his deal will get beat out because that is how this league works.

I hear ya, but IDK...still leaning towards Julio side here because...yeah he got a $12 mil signing bonus and $47 mil guaranteed...which I sure he feels like he's earned.

Now that he's still a top 5 player at his position...the remaining $24 mil on the original ($71 mil) deal he feels he's earned as well, but if he tears up a knee in OTA, camp or even a game...he won't see a dime of it.

From that standpoint I understand the player, he has no security from game to game and he's still in his prime...I'm with you on tearing up his deal or whatever, but converting it a bonus to secure it for my superstar WR...I would do that.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya, but IDK...still leaning towards Julio side here because...yeah he got a $12 mil signing bonus and $47 mil guaranteed...which I sure he feels like he's earned.

Now that he's still a top 5 player at his position...the remaining $24 mil on the original ($71 mil) deal he feels he's earned as well, but if he tears up a knee in OTA, camp or even a game...he won't see a dime of it.

From that standpoint I understand the player, he has no security from game to game and he's still in his prime...I'm with you on tearing up his deal or whatever, but converting it a bonus to secure it for my superstar WR...I would do that.

I would still be leery about setting that precedent. He definitely deserves it and yeah maybe turning some of that into bonus or guaranteed money would be worth it to keep him somewhat happy. I guess to me I'm telling him go take it out on your agent because he is the one that convinced you this was the best way to set up your contract.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just make franchise-level players a percent of the salary cap already.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would still be leery about setting that precedent. He definitely deserves it and yeah maybe turning some of that into bonus or guaranteed money would be worth it to keep him somewhat happy. I guess to me I'm telling him go take it out on your agent because he is the one that convinced you this was the best way to set up your contract.

It's not a good precedent, but it's one you can justify when it's your best player who happens to be top 2 or 3 league wide. You don't get that too often as a front office.

But if we flipped this and let's say Julio was not performing well and still had 3 yrs left and the team decided to cut him. Then the argument shifts to, this is how NFL contracts are written, player knew that going in, etc.

As long as the team can initiate ripping up a bad contract...I don't see why a player can't initiate it ripping up a bad contract. If Julio was going to get all $71 mil...it's difficult for me to support his position, but the way the NFL contracts are written...that's not the case.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a good precedent, but it's one you can justify when it's your best player who happens to be top 2 or 3 league wide. You don't get that too often as a front office.

But if we flipped this and let's say Julio was not performing well and still had 3 yrs left and the team decided to cut him. Then the argument shifts to, this is how NFL contracts are written, player knew that going in, etc.

As long as the team can initiate ripping up a bad contract...I don't see why a player can't initiate it ripping up a bad contract. If Julio was going to get all $71 mil...it's difficult for me to support his position, but the way the NFL contracts are written...that's not the case.

I guess I view this as NFL teams are usually pretty smart in how they design contracts. Players want the upfront cash so the team says "here you go with all this guaranteed money, but we want protections that after a few years we can cut you." With how short NFL careers are it makes sense for both parties. He can fight this all he wants. I have no problem with that. I'm just telling you if I were the Falcons I would be telling him one more year before I'm willing to look at the contract.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always a handful of stars who like to sit out Mini-Camp. Really no big deal.

Sounds like right now the list is Le'Veon Bell, Julio Jones, Earl Thomas, Aaron Donald, and Khalil Mack.

More will be announced too.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either pay him and squash this or trade him now while his value is still high . I'm cool either way

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I view this as NFL teams are usually pretty smart in how they design contracts. Players want the upfront cash so the team says "here you go with all this guaranteed money, but we want protections that after a few years we can cut you." With how short NFL careers are it makes sense for both parties. He can fight this all he wants. I have no problem with that. I'm just telling you if I were the Falcons I would be telling him one more year before I'm willing to look at the contract.

Oh...I clearly see the team side and why contracts are written as they are...they are favorable to the team in case a player get injured, or doesn't pan out.

The bottom line is the team can cancel the contract and the player can't. You're not, but people that get bent out of shape with the player in situations like this are really viewing the picture from only one side.

I can appreciate how you would do it, and if this were Julio on the Bucs...I'd let Julio flap in the wind, but I've got a legit shot to get back to the SB...if something as simple as securing some future funds for my best player...I do it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either pay him and squash this or trade him now while his value is still high . I'm cool either way
Players in this position don’t usually return much in trades and usually third contracts that pay well work against the teams best interest, since the players want paid as if their level of play will continue thru the third contract, but the majority of the time it doesn’t.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players in this position don’t usually return much in trades and usually third contracts that pay well work against the teams best interest, since the players want paid as if their level of play will continue thru the third contract, but the majority of the time it doesn’t.

I think alot of it depends on the type of player and where they play geographically.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would you take?
Ideally another decent receiver and a 1 or 2. I love JJ but receivers don't age well and with his injury history it's no guarantee he's still elite throughout this contract