• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jonathan Sanchez

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wanted to give credit to Sanchez in his own thread (without a certain someone mess his pants over how godly he and EZ's are)

A few years ago, when this guy made his debut -most of the projections were having Sanchez as a frontline starter. As Giants fans, we've heard that tagline before (Jerome Williams, Foppert, etc) even had a little Trevor Wilson left handed hype surround him.

I was one of those who thought he would make a good reliever. I think his issues was avoiding the "blowup inning". This was thee poster boy of erratic - remember the 5-0 july and then 1-5 august?

While our three top starters, I have Lincecum, Cain, and Sanchez there for now, have had different storylines to the top..Sanchez is the guy I'm most proud of as a fan.

Lincecum is the golden goose and Cain was the hard luck starter but held steady even through the bad years. Sanchez was the one guy you can see lose it at times on the mound and was so close to being gone from this team many times.

So to see Sanchez be the guy to step up big, after all the meltdowns, after his "prediction" was overblown, in what was the biggest game of the year (imagine if they had to go to San Diego for a 1 game playoff..ugh) was great to see.

He picked up the pitching and the offense. If that game went on longer with the Giants not scoring, advantage would definitely be on the Padres side. Sanchez is terrible at the plate..and he smoked a triple and scored the biggest run of the year (thus far).

Apologies for the long winded post but Sanchez embodies this 2010 Giants team .. tortuous walks, hard to hit, yet comes through clutch in the big moments.

Now that the division is taken care of..let's keep this party going!

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Crazy thing is, I think Sanchez grew up during this season. He still had a couple of blow up games this season (iirc). He really has come into his own and I'm glad the kid finally has put most of it (if not all of it) together. We always knew he had the stuff, it was just a matter of getting the head to match the talent in the arm. Good for him.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with the nature of the post I'd also suggest that you look a little closer to what he has actually done. He has matured - in September. Prior to that he is scary. Did you ralize that out of 34 starts he has not gotten out of the 5th inning on 16 occasions. Do you realize that he has only reached the 7th inning on 10 ocassions? His problems are always related to control. He looked very good in September. But they did pull him twice in the 6th inning when he got wild.

I think he needs to control the wild streaks. If he can he will be special (as Tito states). If he can't he'll always be a number 4 starter with great stuff.

I also feel that Sanchez got us to the door (6th inning) but it was the bull pen that shut it.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Add about 5 mph to his fastball, and I see a left handed Ubaldo Jiminez. I know it seems like a bit of a stretch, but electric stuff, mentally weak (but improving in this department,) loses control frequently, and when on can completely decimate a lineup.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree and this is what makes Sanchez as valuable as we think he is. We are looking at his potential. Next year (for me) wil be the key. He has to turn the corner. A starter has to get through 5 innings on a consistent basis. He hasn't been able to do that yet. If and when he does - he could be an elite pitcher

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with the nature of the post I'd also suggest that you look a little closer to what he has actually done. He has matured - in September. Prior to that he is scary. Did you ralize that out of 34 starts he has not gotten out of the 5th inning on 16 occasions. Do you realize that he has only reached the 7th inning on 10 ocassions? His problems are always related to control. He looked very good in September. But they did pull him twice in the 6th inning when he got wild.

I think he needs to control the wild streaks. If he can he will be special (as Tito states). If he can't he'll always be a number 4 starter with great stuff.

I also feel that Sanchez got us to the door (6th inning) but it was the bull pen that shut it.

That's my point - we've seen Sanchez evolve into a pitcher that can come through in big games.

Before this year, as a fan, I would look at Timmy as the only guy I would want to pitch in big games. Cain was a maybe, he would pitch well enough to lose by a run. Sanchez earned the nickname "box of chocolates" for good reason.

After the Philly game where the Giants were hurting, he was amazing in a tough ballpark vs. a tough team.

and yesterday when there were multiple chances for him to blow it (strike zone was everywhere) he stepped up big time. I saw a few of those walks, he wasn't catching the low strike with the split finger (new pitch!) and wouldn't give in.

Bochy gave him the early hook because he saved his bullpen from the last 2 games (Ray and Mota ate up those innings) the bully's been fresh and lockdown so why not bring in the bullpen. If they needed Sanchez to go longer I would have been okay with that, too (the only real power in Agon was on base)

After watching so many of his blowup starts, he was different this time. He kept the Padres off the board and gave the Giants the lead. Then he shut them down the next inning, where in the past he was susceptible in giving up runs. GP made a great point on how Sanchez gets stronger with a lead (something the Giants didn't have the whole series).

There was a ton of pressure and he didn't break. The old Sanchez might have.