• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

John Lynch new 49er GM

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers tab John Lynch for general manager job

Didn't the 49ers have a short list of actual industry leaders to take their job?

A junior office from GB backed out of the running

Report: Eliot Wolf removes himself from 49ers' GM search - Inside the 49ers

One would think that SF is such a dumpster fire that they literally could not get one front office guy to take the job, as it would is being perceived as a sure fire career killer. The end result being SF ends up with a former player-turned-tv personality. Oof!

niners loss is our gain I guess. While many here miss the rivalry, I don't really think there ever was much of one.

Pop quiz: how many winning seasons have the niners had starting with the 2003 season(14 seasons)?

3!

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jed be Jed.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im actually stunned by this.

Is there a lynch-shanahan connection?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im actually stunned by this.

Is there a lynch-shanahan connection?
About the only one I know of is Lynch played for Shanahans father. Seems like Shanahan wants to call the shots with a figurehead at GM. Crazyest things happen with that organization. Should be interesting.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a smart guy, but it's a weird choice. As far as I know, the only post-playing career job he's had is game analyst. The Shanahan connection that Harold mentioned gives the pick more context. It's just another example of nepotism in sports. Should be interesting to watch from afar.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like completely out of left field. I guess Niners fans have to hope it's so crazy that it just may work?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The franchise is already a flaming pile of dog shit so Lynch can't make it worse then what it already is. If he can field a .500 team in the next 2 to 3 years I would say that is remarkable considering he doesn't have any FO experience.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Didn't like the hire at first and don't love it now but I have been warming up to it and am becoming cautiously optimistic about it.

The 9ers front office desperately needs leadership and Lynch has that quality in spades. From a culture aspect I believe he's capable of turning the front office from being a toxic cesspool to a place people actually will want to work for.

And judging from the interviews he fully understands the situation he's in and the need to surround himself with strong people and trust them to do their jobs. He's already made what many consider a strong hire in Adam Peters and he'll likely put more experienced people around him.

The lack of experience is still a significant concern and what prevents me from loving the hire because at the end of the day it doesn't matter how great a leader you are and how hard you work at it if you don't bring in talent you're going to fail.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

giphy.gif

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't like the hire at first and don't love it now but I have been warming up to it and am becoming cautiously optimistic about it.

The 9ers front office desperately needs leadership and Lynch has that quality in spades. From a culture aspect I believe he's capable of turning the front office from being a toxic cesspool to a place people actually will want to work for.

And judging from the interviews he fully understands the situation he's in and the need to surround himself with strong people and trust them to do their jobs. He's already made what many consider a strong hire in Adam Peters and he'll likely put more experienced people around him.

The lack of experience is still a significant concern and what prevents me from loving the hire because at the end of the day it doesn't matter how great a leader you are and how hard you work at it if you don't bring in talent you're going to fail.

Going to depend on who they surround him with and how much pull they have. Think they'll surround him with some decent experienced personnel, the rub will be if they'll be listened to, or will Shanahan over rule them and try to be the actual GM. Be interesting for sure.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Going to depend on who they surround him with and how much pull they have. Think they'll surround him with some decent experienced personnel, the rub will be if they'll be listened to, or will Shanahan over rule them and try to be the actual GM. Be interesting for sure.

The goal was to have basically a Seattle like setup where the GM and coach are in harmony and collaborators in the process so while I believe Shanahan is going to have a lot of input especially when it comes to the offensive players I don't see him lording over Lynch. Lynch was an ascending the ranks as a broadcaster which is a pretty nice gig so I just don't see him leaving that if he felt like all he was going to be is a puppet GM.

The biggest concern will be that even if he has experienced people doesn't mean they are great at their player assessments and there is a concern about the nuances of the jobs like making trades where inexperience can kill you there.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The goal was to have basically a Seattle like setup where the GM and coach are in harmony and collaborators in the process so while I believe Shanahan is going to have a lot of input especially when it comes to the offensive players I don't see him lording over Lynch. Lynch was an ascending the ranks as a broadcaster which is a pretty nice gig so I just don't see him leaving that if he felt like all he was going to be is a puppet GM.

The biggest concern will be that even if he has experienced people doesn't mean they are great at their player assessments and there is a concern about the nuances of the jobs like making trades where inexperience can kill you there.
You sir have no choice (as a fan) but to root for KS and LJ to become wildly successful.
Seattle has a unique arrangement and one that is to be applauded, but your guys don't have anywhere near the pedigree Pete and JS has.
It shouldn't take long to see how well they can build a team. Just so you know, I want good competitive games within our division.