• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joel Ward Signs 3 year contract with Sharks

Do you like this acquisition?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ward-joel-150421-620.jpg

Former Capitals forward Joel Ward signed a three-year, free-agent contract with San Jose on Friday. The hard-nosed Ward had 19 goals and 34 points in the regular season while adding three goals and nine points in 14 playoff games. In the 2014-15 season, Ward ranked third on the Capitals with six power-play goals and second with four game-winning goals. (Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

The San Jose Sharks signed veteran forward Joel Ward to a three-year contract Friday.

Ward had 19 goals and 15 assists this past season with Washington. He also had three goals and six assists in 14 playoff games.

"Joel is a quality veteran player who can score but also plays an extremely hard-nosed brand of hockey," Sharks general manager Doug Wilson. "He meshes well with our core group of forwards and has a strong track record of playing his best hockey at crucial times of the season."

Ward ranked third on the Capitals with six power-play goals and second on the team with four game-winning goals. It was the second straight season he played in all 82 regular-season games.

The 34-year-old Ward has 97 goals and 123 assists in 517 career games with Minnesota, Nashville and Washington. He also represented Canada at the 2014 World Championships, finishing with six goals and three assists in eight games.

"Joel is an identity player in that he plays exactly the way I want our team to play," Sharks coach Peter DeBoer said. "He's big, strong, fast and hard to play against. That's exactly what we are looking for."

Joel Ward leaves Capitals for 3-year free-agent deal with Sharks - NHL on CBC Sports - Hockey news, opinion, scores, stats, standings

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i dont know why this deal reminds me so much Mike Grier, thankfully ward hasnt had a history of injuries like Grier did

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't go so far as claiming we are contenders but Wilson has improved the team this offseason. I like the signing, will he be worth it in year 3? Maybe not but he's got a couple of good years left and with the acquisition of Jones for our first, we aren't tanking this season.