• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmy Garoppolo to 49ers

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots reportedly trade Jimmy Garoppolo to 49ers for second-round pick
The Patriots' backup quarterback is headed to the Bay Area

The San Francisco 49ers may have found their quarterback of the future. According to a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter, the 49ers acquired Jimmy Garoppolo from the New England Patriots in exchange for a 2018 second-round pick.

Garoppolo, the Patriots' 2014 second-round pick, had a successful stint filling in for a suspended Tom Brady last season (68.3 percent completions, four touchdowns, zero interceptions, 8.0 yards per attempt, 113.3 passer rating on 63 pass attempts), and subsequently became an incredibly hot trade commodity during the 2017 offseason, with rumors flying all over about several teams trying to acquire his services.

San Francisco had been heavily rumored to be interested in signing Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins this coming offseason, but surrendering a second-round pick for Garoppolo will likely put a rest to those whispers. It's unknown what the market will be for Cousins if he does not come to a long-term agreement with Washington.

For the Patriots, they acquire what is likely to be one of the top picks in the second round of the draft. Bill Belichick loves getting as many shots at the draft as possible, and especially loves getting high second-round picks that generally yield similar value as late firsts, but without quite as large a financial commitment. Still, it would not at all be surprising to see Belichick deal this pick to move down for multiple selections, or for a first-rounder in 2019. That's just what he does.

This is also the second Brady backup the Patriots have traded in the last few months. They traded Jacoby Brissett to the Colts shortly before the start of the season, receiving former Colts first-rounder Phillip Dorsett in return. Brissett has flashed some long-term potential during his stint filling in for Andrew Lucky, but Dorsett has not been a factor in New England.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots released the practice squad QB last week.

Brady gets to rest for two weeks but what happens if..............??????????????

Belichick has to be making some kind of super deal tonight or tomorrow before the deadline at 4:00PM.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have gotten Joe Staley and the 2nd rounder.

Something ain't right here.

I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight....ggggeeeeezzzzzzzuuuzzzz

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have gotten Joe Staley and the 2nd rounder.

Something ain't right here.

I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight....ggggeeeeezzzzzzzuuuzzzz

Staley is injured fractured eye socket should be back by the end of the year but who knows. I also doubt 49ers were going to give them that much for him not with him becoming a unrestricted free agent next year and the 49ers needing to use the franchise tag if they can't resign him. Staley and a 2nd is a pipe dream.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck to JAG! Hate to lose him, but at least he gets the chance to be a #1 QB.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention...the trade of JG opens up the Franchise tag for MB next yr...

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This IMO is not a good trade, we got him in the 2nd round and all we got was a 2nd rounder and no back up QB at the moment. yeah I'll say it. WTF? There has to be more to it.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess Hoyer is on the way to NE?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots released the practice squad QB last week.

Brady gets to rest for two weeks but what happens if..............??????????????

Belichick has to be making some kind of super deal tonight or tomorrow before the deadline at 4:00PM.

wtf? Didn't hear that one... Ok, BB HAS to have something up his hoodie

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to question this all the way around. I need to post this in some detail to try and wrap my head around this.

1. Pats trade 3rd string QB to Colts for a WR that in honest truth was not that great to begin with and has not proven a darn thing whilst with the Pats. In exchange the Colts get a starting QB. :scratch: Leaving two QBs on roster. Okay we all think Jimmy is gonna be good:rolleyes2:.

2. The Pats were offered a late first rounder for Jimmy G from Cleveland earlier in the year but decided that was not a reasonable value, BB and Caserio IMO over valuing Jimmy but okay we got us a quality back up QB. :10:

So in the end we gave up two staring QBs for a back up WR and a second round pick.

3. Mid season Pats trade Jimmy G to the 9ers for a second round pick the Pats now have given up two starting QBs for a so far useless WR and a second round pick. :gaah: and for the time being have no back up QB as the one PS QB last week.

4. Our 4th string QB tore is ACL in the offseason so we have a 40+ year old QB and no back up:L.

Good thing we have 4 RBs:clap:

Last edited:

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots reportedly trade Jimmy Garoppolo to 49ers for second-round pick
The Patriots' backup quarterback is headed to the Bay Area

The San Francisco 49ers may have found their quarterback of the future. According to a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter, the 49ers acquired Jimmy Garoppolo from the New England Patriots in exchange for a 2018 second-round pick.

Garoppolo, the Patriots' 2014 second-round pick, had a successful stint filling in for a suspended Tom Brady last season (68.3 percent completions, four touchdowns, zero interceptions, 8.0 yards per attempt, 113.3 passer rating on 63 pass attempts), and subsequently became an incredibly hot trade commodity during the 2017 offseason, with rumors flying all over about several teams trying to acquire his services.

San Francisco had been heavily rumored to be interested in signing Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins this coming offseason, but surrendering a second-round pick for Garoppolo will likely put a rest to those whispers. It's unknown what the market will be for Cousins if he does not come to a long-term agreement with Washington.

For the Patriots, they acquire what is likely to be one of the top picks in the second round of the draft. Bill Belichick loves getting as many shots at the draft as possible, and especially loves getting high second-round picks that generally yield similar value as late firsts, but without quite as large a financial commitment. Still, it would not at all be surprising to see Belichick deal this pick to move down for multiple selections, or for a first-rounder in 2019. That's just what he does.

This is also the second Brady backup the Patriots have traded in the last few months. They traded Jacoby Brissett to the Colts shortly before the start of the season, receiving former Colts first-rounder Phillip Dorsett in return. Brissett has flashed some long-term potential during his stint filling in for Andrew Lucky, but Dorsett has not been a factor in New England.
Much ado about nothing. Jimmy is Steve Bono and Erik Kramer

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best of luck to Jimmy that he goes on to a injury free mostly successful career.

I would just hate to see him go to San Fran and win 7 SB's.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much ado about nothing. Jimmy is Steve Bono and Erik Kramer

Yeah I don't get this from either side. The list of backup QBs who had success on good teams in limited opportunities, then we learned their success did not translate to a new team, is very long. Bono, Scott Mitchell, Grbac, Cassell, Matt Flynn etc all have shown to not be the answer.

From the Pats perspective I'm not sure how a contender can go into November with a 40 year old QB and no backup. That's crazy to me.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't get this from either side. The list of backup QBs who had success on good teams in limited opportunities, then we learned their success did not translate to a new team, is very long. Bono, Scott Mitchell, Grbac, Cassell, Matt Flynn etc all have shown to not be the answer.

From the Pats perspective I'm not sure how a contender can go into November with a 40 year old QB and no backup. That's crazy to me.
It's all about what's written here plus this for the Pats - Get some value now for something we can't afford later. If they weren't getting a good 1st round offer this year, then a trade after franchising him wouldn't have be realistic.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has a team ever only had 1 QB on the roster? At least in recent history?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard at least 1000 different opinions about this trade. I heard one theory that my gut says is about as close to the truth as we'll ever know.

Belichick now has another WR sidelined for at least the next week and a half possibly three. He's fighting himself whether to bring back Vincent Valentine or Malcolm Mitchell. He can only bring back one off IR because Shea McClellin is coming off. Brandin Cooks has been good but nowhere near what anyone expected him to be.

Sooooooooooo.................BB has determined that 'IF' Brady got hurt, JG would not be able to take the Patriots to the post season promised land. Brady has pretty much proven that with this offense, it's him or nothing. BB got the best deal available and didn't want to spend all day trying to pit one team against another for spit change.

Cleveland Head Coach Hew Jackson is furious. He was willing to sell the farm before the draft for JG but the GM did not want to deal the first round picks. Last night, Jackson wanted him to offer a first rounder or a 2nd round at worst to get JG but the GM said no. The GM is going to get fired if Cleveland finishes 0-16 and if not, Jackson may quit. 49er head coach Kyle Shanahan has always like JG and will put him in the best position he can to be successful. He must think that JG can run his offense at least as well as Matt Ryan did in Atlanta.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard at least 1000 different opinions about this trade. I heard one theory that my gut says is about as close to the truth as we'll ever know.

Belichick now has another WR sidelined for at least the next week and a half possibly three. He's fighting himself whether to bring back Vincent Valentine or Malcolm Mitchell. He can only bring back one off IR because Shea McClellin is coming off. Brandin Cooks has been good but nowhere near what anyone expected him to be.

Sooooooooooo.................BB has determined that 'IF' Brady got hurt, JG would not be able to take the Patriots to the post season promised land. Brady has pretty much proven that with this offense, it's him or nothing. BB got the best deal available and didn't want to spend all day trying to pit one team against another for spit change.

Cleveland Head Coach Hew Jackson is furious. He was willing to sell the farm before the draft for JG but the GM did not want to deal the first round picks. Last night, Jackson wanted him to offer a first rounder or a 2nd round at worst to get JG but the GM said no. The GM is going to get fired if Cleveland finishes 0-16 and if not, Jackson may quit. 49er head coach Kyle Shanahan has always like JG and will put him in the best position he can to be successful. He must think that JG can run his offense at least as well as Matt Ryan did in Atlanta.

I really do not understand what the fight is? If you bring back Mitchell you have and need another WR which we need at this time. Cooks has not really panned out, Dorssett has shown nothing, Hogan is injured, not sure how we don't bring Mitchell back. If they really want Valentine and I think its a good idea there are other players on the roster that could be sent down there is an open spot on the PS at this time.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league rules limit the number of players that can return off IR to two (2). This keeps teams from stashing players on IR who can return.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league rules limit the number of players that can return off IR to two (2). This keeps teams from stashing players on IR who can return.

And who have we brought back to date? Why couldn't it be Mitchell and Valentine.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And who have we brought back to date? Why couldn't it be Mitchell and Valentine

You really need to slow down and read a post in it's entirety.

Shea McClellin has been on IR since training camp at started practicing with the team three weeks ago. He's eligible to come off IR next week and could play in Denver. The Pats need him more than anyone at this time.