• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmy Garapolo traded to 49ers

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't let their initial demands sway your opinion of Grop's value. This isn't the first time that the Pats have overplayed their hand with trade demands (Davey, Hoyer, Mallet, etc.).

It's only one metric - the guy seems to be well regarded all around. Think of it this way...would you complain if SF spent a second round pick on him if he was in this years draft?

I'm not sold on Cousins either, but it's easier to be a Cousins fan when he has 2 full seasons as a top 5 Qb.

He has some really nice stats the past two seasons, but I'm more impressed with what he's done this year without those weapons. In the end, I'll defer to Shanahan, and roll with Jimmy G.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only one metric - the guy seems to be well regarded all around. Think of it this way...would you complain if SF spent a second round pick on him if he was in this years draft?
That is the only reason I am not against this trade.

He has some really nice stats the past two seasons, but I'm more impressed with what he's done this year without those weapons.
Me too.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I guess at very least, can't fault Lynch and Shannahan for being aggressive. I'm sure there are debates for and against this trade, but at least they're being aggressive.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers find themselves in a quandry with this one. They got him and need to see him play before making a decision on signing him for the future but with this O Line they can't risk playing him. So what do they do? This is the strangest acquisition problem I've seen in some time.

It doesn't say much for what they think of Beathard that they will throw him out there but won't risk Garrapolo playing behind that line.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers find themselves in a quandry with this one. They got him and need to see him play before making a decision on signing him for the future but with this O Line they can't risk playing him. So what do they do? This is the strangest acquisition problem I've seen in some time.

It doesn't say much for what they think of Beathard that they will throw him out there but won't risk Garrapolo playing behind that line.

If Staley comes back in a couple of weeks and Brown is okay, line won't be great but it should be enough to see what Jimmy G can do. Both Hoyer and Beathard lack pocket awareness and would hold on to the ball too long taking unnecessary sacks. During the first part of the season before the injuries, PFF ranked the 49ers oline at 19th in pass blocking. That would put them a little below average. Not horrible. But I wouldn't want to see Jimmy G play until the starters are back healthy though. Right now the oline is mess.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needs to get a look at the play book first. Then worry about starting him I think they'll see him play 6 games or so provided he doesn't get hurt.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He has some really nice stats the past two seasons, but I'm more impressed with what he's done this year without those weapons. In the end, I'll defer to Shanahan, and roll with Jimmy G.

There it is.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staley, Brown and I guess Hyde too, are rarely in the lineup. They are always hurt it seems.

Staley's been pretty healthy I thought but maybe I'm wrong. I mean he's hurt now but I didn't think it was a problem all the time.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staley's been pretty healthy I thought but maybe I'm wrong. I mean he's hurt now but I didn't think it was a problem all the time.
He seems to be out a lot to me. He is getting older I suppose. We really need to dig up some linemen and quick. Its amazing how fast O Line went from being one of our strengths under Harbaugh to what it is now.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok. I think Garappolo is good and has the potential to be a really good QB but he's not a miracle worker. I don't want him to end up like Andrew Luck..
I don't think he's as good as Luck. You never know. I guess I'm cautiously optimistic but there is not much evidence to go on where Garapolo is concerned.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agree with playing him when he's ready, and that means comfortable enough with the base plays. Secondly, it also means getting comfortable with the teammates. Don't force him in cause that's when mistakes multiply.

When he's does start to ge comfortable, maybe you let him play a quarter first, then a half?

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he feels comfortable, you let him go...period. Full game. He's a pro...at this point he has to know how to play the game - full field reads, how to move within the pocket, touchdown vs. checkdown. etc. There cannot be any 'our OLine is weak so we won't risk it' approach.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seems to be out a lot to me.
Not sure where you're getting that idea. In the last 6 years, he's missed only 3 starts (all in 2016).

He is getting older I suppose. We really need to dig up some linemen and quick.
This much is true. Whether STaley comes back and plays well or not this season, he'll be 34 when next year starts. There need to be plans for the future. That's why it may be a good thing to see how Brown plays on the left side. Staley started his NFL career on the right side and eventually slid over to LT. Hopefully Brown can do the same. Easier to find a RT than a LT.