• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmy Garapolo traded to 49ers

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of a weird time to pull this move. I figured we were just going to tank the season and get one of the top rookie quarterbacks.

I guess not now?
We are gonna tank anyway. I think taking a 1st round QB is over now and they are going to focus elsewhere. Garoplo is only 25.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I'd be afraid to risk playing him. I'm semi interested though. Not particularly high on the guy as we've seen only two games of him as a starter and every Patriots back up QB plays well for the Pats. That won't necessarily translate to the 49ers, but we'll see.
At least Shanahan is high on him so that's something.
Shanahan has seen enough to know Beathard isnt a long term answer

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who else on SF is decent on offense??

The offensive roster was depleted during the Baalke era and he pretty much ignored the offensive skill positions except for the Torrey Smith signing and his drafts yielded pretty much nothing. We don't have any elite players but I do think it has improved. Garcon has been pretty good and while Goodwin struggled with drops he has been much better lately. I think Taylor and Kittle are okay for rookies. Problem is we didn't have a QB that could get the ball to them consistently and an oline to block. . I like Hyde and I think he is good but our oline has not been a good run blocking unit. No push at all.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grop has all of 2 starts in his career. This is a BIG gamble buy our FO because you're passing on KC, a player with an established track record, and a draft that will have blue-chip Qbs.

Trades for NE backup Qbs hasn't gone well over the years. Then again, some trades for inexperienced backups have worked out. It's a scale really, with turds like Cassel on one end and HOFers like Young and Favre on the other, with some like Brunell in the middle. Cross your fingers on this one.

I wonder why the pass on Cousins? He'll cost mroe than Grop for sure. It's not definite that he'll be leaving DC anyway. Could be that Kyle is just higher on Grop than he is on Cousins.

Next up is the contract. Grop is in the lsat year of his deal. I have to assume we've talked with his agent to get a grip on his demands. I expect something around 20M/year, but Grop's agent would be a fool to start with anything less than the franchise tag amount, which will be about 25M (due to the Cousins tag and new deals for Carr and Stafford).

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grop has all of 2 starts in his career. This is a BIG gamble buy our FO because you're passing on KC, a player with an established track record, and a draft that will have blue-chip Qbs.

Trades for NE backup Qbs hasn't gone well over the years. Then again, some trades for inexperienced backups have worked out. It's a scale really, with turds like Cassel on one end and HOFers like Young and Favre on the other, with some like Brunell in the middle. Cross your fingers on this one.

I wonder why the pass on Cousins? He'll cost mroe than Grop for sure. It's not definite that he'll be leaving DC anyway. Could be that Kyle is just higher on Grop than he is on Cousins.

Next up is the contract. Grop is in the lsat year of his deal. I have to assume we've talked with his agent to get a grip on his demands. I expect something around 20M/year, but Grop's agent would be a fool to start with anything less than the franchise tag amount, which will be about 25M (due to the Cousins tag and new deals for Carr and Stafford).

They could still go after Cousins. 49ers have cap space. If they don't like what Grop offers they can franchise him and look for a trade while backing the truck up to Cousins house. If they fall in love with one of the college QBs they can still go for that as well.

This move is Lynch and Shanahan saying this QB thing has to get solved and getting half a season to try out Grop was well worth a 2nd round pick.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could still go after Cousins. 49ers have cap space. If they don't like what Grop offers they can franchise him and look for a trade while backing the truck up to Cousins house. If they fall in love with one of the college QBs they can still go for that as well.

This move is Lynch and Shanahan saying this QB thing has to get solved and getting half a season to try out Grop was well worth a 2nd round pick.

I think Cousins to SF is over.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think we'll see either of those things happen.

Doubling down on the QB position like that hasn't been done in a long time. I remember back in 89 Jimmy Johnson drafted Troy Aikman 1st overall, and then he spent another 1st rd pick in the 89 supplemental draft on Steve Walsh.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan has seen enough to know Beathard isnt a long term answer
Beathard does not recognize coverages or know where receivers are going to be yet. But in his defense, he is under extreme pressure and I don't think even Tom Brady could win with that O Line.

At least they made the effort to get Garrapolo and let's see what the passing game can do with a QB who seems to be an accurate thrower. I wonder how long it will be til he plays.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beathard does not recognize coverages or know where receivers are going to be yet. But in his defense, he is under extreme pressure and I don't think even Tom Brady could win with that O Line.

At least they made the effort to get Garrapolo and let's see what the passing game can do with a QB who seems to be an accurate thrower. I wonder how long it will be til he plays.

I agree about how Beathard is currently playing and the tough position as a rookie he has been put under. But there are aspects to his game that make Shanahan believe he is not a starter and probably just a quality backup. He doesn't seem to have a very good arm and accuracy issues. There has been speculation I've read that possibly after the bye week. By then Staley could be back. Until then, poor Beathard is going to be the crash test dummy.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about how Beathard is currently playing and the tough position as a rookie he has been put under. But there are aspects to his game that make Shanahan believe he is not a starter and probably just a quality backup. He doesn't seem to have a very good arm and accuracy issues. There has been speculation I've read that possibly after the bye week. By then Staley could be back. Until then, poor Beathard is going to be the crash test dummy.
I heard they cut Hoyer as well.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First, I don't think it's that big of a gamble. They traded a 2nd for a guy who many have as someone who might take the next step. In fact, if you think of the trade SF made with Chicago in the draft, it looks as if they moved down a spot to get the guy they wanted, Reuben Foster and the pick that is Jimmy Gippeto. When you hear stuff like NE's starting point to part with him was two 1st rounders....

Secondly, it looks as if Shanahan held high regards for him and the brass tried to make a deal for him in the offseason. It seems the Pats held out not sure of how Brady would hold up/knowing JG wanted out to be a starter/held out for the last minute and got about as much as they could for him. Everyone just connected Cousins with Shanahan because of the obvious. I was never much of a Cousins fan, although I warmed up to some of his performances this year.

Third, I don't care much about the other Pat backups. Cassell is the ultimate comparison but the guy was a 7th rounder with little fanfare, whereas Garappolo was a 2nd? I believe? Again...a highly regarded guy coming out.

Lastly, this eliminates the 'QB in the draft' scenario next year. SF will still probably be in the top 5 draftwise, already with the QB on board...now gotta hope the guys in college turn it around some and start getting some attention so that perhaps someone will go overboard and deal with the Niners. Drop down some, get more 2nds and 3rds and rebuild the O-line, get a pass rusher and a secondary guy and let this team run.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are gonna tank anyway. I think taking a 1st round QB is over now and they are going to focus elsewhere. Garoplo is only 25.
I hope its Barkley. Not going to lie I would of traded Hyde and got something for him. Giants can use a RB.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you hear stuff like NE's starting point to part with him was two 1st rounders....
Don't let their initial demands sway your opinion of Grop's value. This isn't the first time that the Pats have overplayed their hand with trade demands (Davey, Hoyer, Mallet, etc.).

I was never much of a Cousins fan, although I warmed up to some of his performances this year.
I'm not sold on Cousins either, but it's easier to be a Cousins fan when he has 2 full seasons as a top 5 Qb.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope its Barkley. Not going to lie I would of traded Hyde and got something for him. Giants can use a RB.
I like Barkley as well. I believe he's Penn State's leading receiver as well as being a beast of a running back. Returns kicks too.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My research tells me right now, Barkley or OT !?!
RB Saquon Barkley
OT Connor Williams or Mike McGlinchey
OG Quenton Nelson
S Minkah Fitzpatrick
EDGE Harold Landry, Bradley Chubb, Arden Key

There are some really good players in this draft. Barkley, McGlinchey and Nelson are, imo, the best nonQBs in the draft. There aren't any WRs or CBs worth that high a pick. We need offensive weapons and Barkley has the star power. If Staley retires, OT becomes the priority. Honestly, if the Browns take Barkley at 1st overall, we're almost certain to trade down with a team that wants their pick of the Qbs. We could go so many different ways.