• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jim Zorn as QB coach?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious to see how we do... I sill believe he was part of the problem with the struggling offense... He doesn't get a free pass in my book...

Who?

Believe me I was ALL for firing Cable/Bevell. I wasn't really thrilled about letting Richard go.

My post and issue is more so with who we replaced all of them with.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell Wilson... I personally believe he's vastly overrated... I think he's a very good QB but not one of the best...

1273.gif

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell Wilson... I personally believe he's vastly overrated... I think he's a very good QB but not one of the best...
Interesting statement. He's the single best aspect of our team going forward, but ok....put some blame on him for the offense's struggles. Now what? You gonna upgrade the QB position?

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting statement. He's the single best aspect of our team going forward, but ok....put some blame on him for the offense's struggles. Now what? You gonna upgrade the QB position?

Why would I want to upgrade a very good QB? This is what i'm talking about when it comes to some Hawk fans... Just because I don't feel like he's one of the best, Hawk fans take that as me saying that I feel we should replace or upgrade...

Like I said, he's very good but I feel he was part of the reason our offense was inconsistent at times... Sure, he's a great playmaker, no doubt about it but I feel he's one of the reasons our offense was inefficient at times but he was also the reason our offense was off the charts at times in the 4th quarter... However, his 4th quarter magic did tail off the last 4 or 5 weeks of the season... Maybe a solid running game will help clean things up and allow him to be more efficient... Carroll has basically said as such, which is why he cleaned house w/ the coaching staff... He believes RW needs to be more efficient and accountable...

My statement doesn't mean I don't believe he isn't our future or a very good starting in this league... I just don't view him as one of the best QB's in the league...

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would I want to upgrade a very good QB? This is what i'm talking about when it comes to some Hawk fans... Just because I don't feel like he's one of the best, Hawk fans take that as me saying that I feel we should replace or upgrade...

Like I said, he's very good but I feel he was part of the reason our offense was inconsistent at times... Sure, he's a great playmaker, no doubt about it but I feel he's one of the reasons our offense was inefficient at times but he was also the reason our offense was off the charts at times in the 4th quarter... However, his 4th quarter magic did tail off the last 4 or 5 weeks of the season... Maybe a solid running game will help clean things up and allow him to do so...

My statement doesn't mean I don't believe he isn't our future or a very good starting in this league... I just don't view him as one of the best QB's in the league...
So the guy has had pretty much the worst OL in the league the last 2 years, absolutely zip for a running game, yet still was one of the most productive QBs in the entire league this year...but you wanna add him to the list of problems? It just seems goofy.

But ok, be that as it may, then where do you rank him among NFL QBs? Clearly you don't think he's top 5, so I'm curious how far off you are from pretty much the rest of the pack.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give Annointed marks for trying to be consistent, but you seem to be tying yourself into logical knots here. 'Vastly?' But yet he's not part of the problem?

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there were some plays where he held onto the ball way too long, and took some sacks he shouldnt have, and then that play where he tried to keep his feet by planting the ball on the ground and letting go of it.

but then, when you look at the big picture, its easy to explain that away as just russell trying to make something happen because he had literally zero support from his OL and running game and his OC was the pits.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give Annointed marks for trying to be consistent, but you seem to be tying yourself into logical knots here. 'Vastly?' But yet he's not part of the problem?

Yes, vastly... I don't believe he's a top 3 QB in the league like a lot of Hawk fans feel... Same way I felt about K. Seager two years go as well... Also, where did I say he's (Russell) "not part of the problem?" See post#20...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're having problems with scale AO, if he's top 10 instead of trop 3, that's not a 'vast' difference. Splitting hairs? Maybe. But vast suggests something big. Like Payton Manning ------> Stan Gelbaugh.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell had a down year as far as Turnovers go but that happens when your one of the highest pressured QB in the league.

As far as Zorn Goes, for Vet QB's he is great. Hasselbecks best years were under him, Joe Flacco had a HUGE season under Zorn also. Jim is a top quality QB Coach so don't let his HC failures throw you. There is a REASON he got the chance to become a HC.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell had a down year as far as Turnovers go but that happens when your one of the highest pressured QB in the league.
Well, he did tie his career high of 11 INTs, but he also threw more passes this season than in any other. His INT rate was only 2%, which is right on his career avg. Most QBs start making mistakes at a higher rate with more pass attempts (which some feared would happen with RW when we were only throwing it 26 times a game), but that hasn't been the case with him. His only real statistical downturn this season was ypa -- 7.2, the lowest of his career. Probably can be attributed to the volume of failed plays here the receiver catches it behind the LOS, very poor pass pro, and the utter incompetence of the run game. That's why I think when you consider what was going on around him, Russell had a pretty exceptional season. He was in the MVP discussion until about the last 3 games of the season, and rightfully so.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As far as Zorn Goes, for Vet QB's he is great. Hasselbecks best years were under him, Joe Flacco had a HUGE season under Zorn also. Jim is a top quality QB Coach so don't let his HC failures throw you. There is a REASON he got the chance to become a HC.

It's a very good point. His failure at Washington I would mostly put that on the owner and FO which was a complete dumpster fire. Good hire for the Hawks.