• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jeremy Cash

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
01/08/15 - Cash to Play Final Season of Eligibility...Two-time All-America safety Jeremy Cash will return to Duke for his final season of eligibility in 2015, head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Thursday. Cash graduated from Duke this past December with a degree in psychology and is currently pursuing a graduate degree in liberal studies. A 6-2, 205-pound native of Miami, Fla., Cash has earned All-America honors in each of his two seasons with the Blue Devils while helping Duke to a two-year record of 19-8, the 2013 ACC Coastal Division championship and consecutive bowl game appearances. In 27 career games at Duke, Cash has compiled 232 tackles, 20.0 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks, six interceptions, 11 pass breakups, seven QB pressures, six caused fumbles and two fumble recoveries. He has reached double figures in the tackle column 10 times including a career-high 14 stops against both Georgia Tech and Troy in 2013. Additionally, Cahas posted six or more tackles in 23 games with the Blue Devils.
As a team captain in 201401/08/15 - Cash to Play Final Season of Eligibility...Two-time All-America safety Jeremy Cash will return to Duke for his final season of eligibility in 2015, head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Thursday. Cash graduated from Duke this past December with a degree in psychology and is currently pursuing a graduate degree in liberal studies. A 6-2, 205-pound native of Miami, Fla., Cash has earned All-America honors in each of his two seasons with the Blue Devils while helping Duke to a two-year record of 19-8, the 2013 ACC Coastal Division championship and consecutive bowl game appearances. In 27 career games at Duke, Cash has compiled 232 tackles, 20.0 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks, six interceptions, 11 pass breakups, seven QB pressures, six caused fumbles and two fumble recoveries. He has reached double figures in the tackle column 10 times including a career-high 14 stops against both Georgia Tech and Troy in 2013. Additionally, Cash has posted six or more tackles in 23 games with the Blue Devils.
As a team captain in 2014, Cash recorded 111 total tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 5.5 quarterback sacks, two interceptions, seven pass breakups, five QB pressures, four caused fumbles and one fumble recovery en route to earning second team All-America honors from both the Walter Camp Foundation and Football Writers Association of America. He is the only defensive back in the nation to record 100-plus tackles, 10.0-plus tackles for loss and 5.0-plus sacks this past season. - Duke football

10/13/14 - OCT 13 ACC DEFENSIVE BACK OF THE WEEK: Jeremy Cash, Duke, Jr.-r, S, 6-2, 205, Miami, Fla.,...Cash came up with two second-half takeaways that led to 14 Duke points in the Blue Devils’ 31-25 road win at previously unbeaten and 22nd-ranked Georgia Tech. His fumble recovery jump-started a nine-play, 46-yard touchdown drive that gave Duke a 21-12 lead. Cash then intercepted a pass and returned it 23 yards to set up a three-play, 23-yard march for another touchdown that put the Blue Devils in front 31-12. Cash also broke up a pass on a Georgia Tech two-point PAT attempt with 5:04 remaining in the game, leaving Duke with a 31-18 lead. He finished with seven tackles and broke up another pass in addition to the one on the PAT attempt. His effort led a Duke defense that held the Yellow Jackets to 9.6 points below their season average and forced three turnovers. Georgia Tech had committed a total of just four turnovers in its five previous games. - ACC football
10/12/14 - SEPT 29 ACC CO-DEFENSIVE BACK OF THE WEEK: Jeremy Cash, Duke, Jr.-r, S, 6-2, 205, Miami, Fla.,...Cash posted a game-high 10 tackles, including one tackle for loss, while creating two turnovers on forced fumbles in Saturday night’s 22-10 loss at Miami. Cash also applied two quarterback pressures and broke up a pass. Cash spearheaded Duke’s defensive effort, which limited the Hurricanes to 9.5 fewer points than their average entering the game and 19.0 points below their scoring average in home games. Cash and the Blue Devils limited Miami to 2-of-13 (.154) on third down conversions. - ACC football
10/11/14 - Duke played its cleanest game of the season on Saturday and wound up putting an end to a decade of frustration. The Blue Devils didn't turn the ball over on offense, caused three turnovers and retained possession for nearly 30 minutes on Saturday in a 31-25 upset of No. 22 Georgia Tech, ending a 10-game losing streak against the Yellow Jackets. "Creating turnovers was huge," Duke coach David Cutcliffe said. "We got good play from our linebackers, our ends did the things they needed to do and our safeties and corners were consistently in the right place." Safety Jeremy Cash led the Duke defense with a fumble recovery, an interception and seven tackles. "We almost had to (get the three turnovers) against a team like Georgia Tech," Cash said. "Otherwise they just control the ball. We had an extra week to prepare for them and that really helped."
Georgia Tech finished with 483 yards, but nearly one-third after Duke had taken a commanding fourth-quarter lead. The Blue Devils had 373 yards and kept the ball for 29:44. Tech, which held the ball for 40 minutes in its win last week against Miami, kept it for 30:16 against Duke. Duke (5-1, 1-1 in the ACC) caused Georgia Tech (5-1, 2-1) to commit a season-high three turnovers on its first four possessions of the second half, and the Blue Devils converted them into 14 points. The Devils have won seven of their last eight road games and beat Georgia Tech in Atlanta for the first time since 1994. - The Sports Xchange

08/08/14 - 2014 PRESEASON ALL-ACC TEAM (MEDIA): S Jeremy Cash, Duke (56) 6-2 205 Junior-R Miami, Fla.,...Cash, a 6-2, 205-pound redshirt junior who also appeared on the preseason watch lists for the Bednarik Award, Nagurski Trophy and Jim Thorpe Award, enters 2014 as Duke’s starter at the Strike safety position. In 2013, he amassed 121 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, four interceptions, four pass breakups, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. A 2013 All-America second team selection by USA Today and an All-ACC first team pick by the league’s media, Cash’s 121 tackles were the second-most in the ACC, trailing only teammate David Helton’s 133. - Duke football

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PINEHURST, N.C. — In December 2011, Jeremy Cash set off on a trip that began in Columbus, Ohio, and ended in Durham, N.C., a good 18 hours away by Greyhound bus.

Before stepping on board, however, Cash needed a ticket. So as he packed up his dorm room at Ohio State, Cash split his belongings into two piles: one pile for necessities — including, admittedly, a nice television — and the other for possessions he could live without. The first group went into cardboard boxes, clearly marked with his name. The second group was sold, which raised enough money for the ticket east.

Cross-country buses don't provide door-to-door service, let alone cozy accommodations. Cash's trip bobbed and weaved, north and south but always fairly east. At each stop, and there were many, he'd either peer out the windows at the cargo to keep tabs on his property or exit the bus entirely to stand watch; his name was on the boxes, but you never know.

Some attention seemed necessary: One of his fellow passengers was fresh out of prison, like Cash looking for a fresh start. He asked to use Cash's phone, and Cash quickly agreed.

When he arrived in Durham, on Duke's doorstep, the travel portion of Cash's leap of faith had concluded. He'd never been to the university. He'd never considered the Blue Devils as a four-star safety prospect out of Plantation High School in Miami, a ballyhooed recruit with dozens of offers — each from schools with more football pedigree.

He didn't know the coaches. Had no idea about the roster. What he did know was what we all knew: Duke was, well … Duke was Duke, annually one of the weakest football programs in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

USA TODAY
Optimism, thanks to QB Brad Kaaya, pervades Miami's football program

"It really taught me a lesson about adversity," Cash said of his travels. "There's a silver lining to everything."

Less than four years later, Duke is no longer Duke, in the sense of the phrase; the Blue Devils are in the midst of the greatest three-season run in modern program history, a stretch that, in no coincidence, matches with Cash's first days on campus.

Prior to 2012, Duke hadn't reached a bowl game nor posted a winning season since 1994; this period saw as many winless seasons, four, as seasons with four or more wins. During the past three years, however, the Blue Devils have reached three bowl games, notched the program's first season with double-digit wins and captured an Atlantic Coast Conference divisional title.

"When I transferred, it was basically on a leap of faith," he said. "And I honestly believe it was all part of my plan, to end up at Duke University, to have the success I've had."

How he arrived is unique, but there's much more. That Cash is at Duke, that he joined the program on the advice of a disgraced former coach, that he's poised to become the first three-time All-America pick in program history, that he's three classes shy of his master's degree, that he's a Blue Devil set to marry a North Carolina graduate — each fact helps to paint Cash as perhaps the most unique player in college football.

USA TODAY
Bedlam flipped trajectories for Oklahoma State, Oklahoma

"Honestly, when people ask me, 'Hey, are you a football player,' I always tell them, no," he said. "I'm a student that plays football. I think there's a difference. Because I don't let football define the type of person that I am."

Yet as a football player, nothing stands out more than this: Cash is competing for conference championships at Duke — itself an amazing achievement, given the Blue Devils' history — and not winning national championships at Ohio State.

Cash signed with the Buckeyes coming out of high school for one reason: Jim Tressel.

Within a week of his enrollment in January of 2011, however, Ohio State's Office of Legal Affairs discovered past email exchanges between Tressel and Chris Cicero, a local lawyer who shared information about impermissible benefits being given to a number of current and former players.

Tressel admitted to being aware of the NCAA violations and was suspended for the first two games of the 2011 season, and later the year's first five games. He tendered his resignation at the end of May, replaced by Luke Fickell, Cash's primary contact during the recruiting process.

Tressel's resignation was a catalyst for Cash's eventual departure, but his transfer was sped up by what he perceived as a wholesale shift in Ohio State's overall approach to its football program — a process heightened by the eventual arrival of Urban Meyer that November.

"I went there because I believed in everything Coach Tressel stood for, and once he was gone, they didn't share those principles outside of football, about life after football," Cash said. "(Meyer) and I just definitely didn't see eye to eye. Essentially, that turned into what is metaphorically just a factory. Churning players in and out, in and out, in and out, and once you're done playing football, that's all they want to do with you.

"What have you done for me lately? As long as you're doing something for them, they're going to do something for you. The moment you can't do anything else for them, at least from my experience, they're kind of done with you."

Duke star Jeremy Cash speaks at ACC media days.
Duke star Jeremy Cash speaks at ACC media days. (Photo: Jeremy Brevard, USA TODAY Sports)
Tressel's parting gift for Cash was a suggestion: Go to Duke, he said, praising David Cutcliffe, even if the former Tennessee assistant had yet to win more than five games in each of his first four seasons with the Blue Devils.

"I wanted someone I could actually trust, who would have my back," said Cash. "And Coach Tressel saw that in Coach Cutcliffe. I knew, hey, education is where it's at. If you can play, they'll find you. Coming to Duke, that was essentially a no-brainer."

Cash graduated in May with his bachelor's degree in psychology; he has since turned to his master's in liberal studies, and will complete those requirements with three classes during the fall semester — earning a degree of higher learning he termed "an investment in yourself."

An NFL future seems very likely: Cash is rated by most services as one of the top players at his position in the 2016 draft class, meaning he could go as early as the second or third rounds. His long-range vision extends elsewhere, to a career in the FBI, where he feels the pace, attention to detail and adrenaline rush would fit into his football-field skill set.

"I do enjoy playing football. It's a major part of my life every day. It pays for school. But in my opinion, I try to get as much if not more out of football then it's getting from me.

"Your life is this long," said Cash, stretching his wing span to the fullest before shrinking his palms together. "Football is this much of it. What are you doing to do after?"

In terms of his recruiting pedigree, overall athletic ability and on-field impact, Cash may be the rarest talent in the recent history of Duke football.

After sitting out the 2012 season as a transfer, Cash earned All-America honors as a first-year starter in 2013, finishing second on the team with 121 tackles, and repeated those honors a year ago. Fittingly, he occupies a distinct role in the Blue Devils' defense: part safety, part linebacker, part wrecking ball.

In earning these accolades, Cash has managed to match the expectations he held as a top-ranked recruit — and done so as an FBS transfer, a path that rarely yields such beneficial result for both player and program.

"A lot of people didn't believe in me when I was at Ohio State," said Cash. "A lot of people questioned if I'd live up to the hype coming to Duke. 'Oh, he probably wasn't that good. That's why he transferred.' These All-America (lists), that means everybody in the country. I've had the honor of being selected."