• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jeffery vs Jackson: FA Talk

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys,

Sorry for being out of the loop for so long, my regular Rams talk has been on Facebook lately, but they often make me want to come back to the forum where the fans are a little more educated on the game and honestly just overall know more football.

There's been this "movement" from the fan base to try to bring in DeSean Jackson from Washington and bring him here to LA. The main argument is that "he's familiar with McVay." Now don't get me wrong, I love DJax, I think he's a very good player, but in all honesty I think it's worth bringing him in so we can have a sense of redemption from when we passed on him for Avery (a move I hated then and still do now).

Here is a post I wrote up perviously, wanted to know where you guys landed on this issue:

Alshon Jeffery NOT DeSean Jackson should be our main WR target this year.

I know since McVay coached Jackson in Washington there is an obvious connection, but that does not make Jackson the ideal player to bring to LA. But it means something else (and I'll circle back to this later).

Alshon Jeffery is 4 years young and 5 inches taller and may even come at a cheaper price tag.

In Washington (since 2014), Jackson's production decreased each year, and he never was able to match career highs (Set in 2013, his last year in Philly) or even come close to them. Getting 6 TDs once (in 2014, when his career high was 9). He caught 56 balls twice in Washington (14 and 16) but that 56 rates as his 5th best seasons overall... not that good compared to his other work.
At 30 years old Jackson is going to start to decline, and it's obvious that they were not able to get as much out of him in Washington than they did in Philly and there is no reason to believe he is going to start setting career highs in his 10th season and being over the age 30. Not to mention he'd have a very young QB throwing to him (learning a new offense) and a weaker offensive line. JAckson's talents would be wasted in LA.

Furthermore... Jackson is not the guy we need. We have smaller quick guys. Remember Austin? We just paid him a shit load of money to under perform. What I hope McVay can do is turn Austin into the type of player JAckson was for him Washington (although JAckson is a more talented player in terms of catching and route running). I think our goal should be for McVay to get Austin to the point where Austin is setting career highs and being an actual threat that he wasn't under an offensively inept Fisher.

Turning back to Jeffery... Alshon, in 2014, caught 10 touchdowns (high career high and better than DJax has ever done). While Jeffery hasn't played a full season since 2014, he got 800 yards in just 9 & 12 games. He's an outside WR with legitimate catching ability and a true threat. He can be our number one and McVay can turn Austin in a defensive nightmare, moving him around the field and lining him in the slot. Austin has never had a legitimate WR to play across. And Jeffery does have some speed, he's not a speedster but Austin and DJax but then again he's 6'3 has a full route tree, can catch the ball, and has already proven he can learn different offenses. The Bears have never been good and he has still succeed. We finally have an environment to succeed with McVay and the new administration (maybe even a Turner OC) and there is no reason we shouldn't address a major need with a young player. Jeffery is only 26! And just approaching his prime, he's in a way different position in his career than DJax. Djax needs to go sign up for a winning team and be the final piece of a puzzle. Jeffery can change our offense in a way we haven't had in almost a decade.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeffery is indeed younger and the better fit, but he does have his negatives. Both he and Jackson have been injury risks, so that is a wash. Jeffery will almost certainly be more expensive. Jackson topped out with a $9.2M cap hit this season at age 30. Jeffery's 2016 cap hit was $14.6M at age 26. Jeffery also had a 4 game suspension for PEDs in 2016; his next screw up will cost him many more games.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeffery is indeed younger and the better fit, but he does have his negatives. Both he and Jackson have been injury risks, so that is a wash. Jeffery will almost certainly be more expensive. Jackson topped out with a $9.2M cap hit this season at age 30. Jeffery's 2016 cap hit was $14.6M at age 26. Jeffery also had a 4 game suspension for PEDs in 2016; his next screw up will cost him many more games.

Jeffery was tagged though, I don't think he'd demand 14M a season. (esp because of his availability issues like you said) the price tag would be a big factor but the last time he was on the field for the whole season he put up very very very good numbers (even put up way better numbers than any of our guys do in way less games). I am worried about the potential of him losing games, but the contract would have to be worded well.

This is JAckson's last real contract, I see him trying to go to a team that can win now (even the Pats honestly) and trying to win a ring. Not wasting his last 3 seasons of production on a losing team.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeffery was tagged though, I don't think he'd demand 14M a season. (esp because of his availability issues like you said) the price tag would be a big factor but the last time he was on the field for the whole season he put up very very very good numbers (even put up way better numbers than any of our guys do in way less games). I am worried about the potential of him losing games, but the contract would have to be worded well.

This is JAckson's last real contract, I see him trying to go to a team that can win now (even the Pats honestly) and trying to win a ring. Not wasting his last 3 seasons of production on a losing team.

I'm not arguing in favor of Jackson, never really been a fan. He does have a potential tie with McVay, which is why he has been mentioned as a possibility. I'd rather have Jeffery (or someone of that mold). Free agency market dries up pretty quickly after that; the third best available is probably between Woods and suspension candidate Floyd, unless you want someone with some mileage (Garcon, Jackson, Boldin). Terrell Pryor is a big question mark still IMO, and could stay in Cleveland.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not arguing in favor of Jackson, never really been a fan. He does have a potential tie with McVay, which is why he has been mentioned as a possibility. I'd rather have Jeffery (or someone of that mold). Free agency market dries up pretty quickly after that; the third best available is probably between Woods and suspension candidate Floyd, unless you want someone with some mileage (Garcon, Jackson, Boldin). Terrell Pryor is a big question mark still IMO, and could stay in Cleveland.

Yeah there's not a lot of choices but if we want to do anything this year we really need an actual legitimate threat at WR we can't go another year without one. Teams stack 9 in the box on us

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah there's not a lot of choices but if we want to do anything this year we really need an actual legitimate threat at WR we can't go another year without one. Teams stack 9 in the box on us

While Jeffery would help fix that, it really is the overall offense that will be the ultimate fix. If he can stay healthy, I can see Spruce being the #2, Pharoh being the slot receiver, and Austin used as a gadget player (unless McVay can get more out of him than that). That does still leave an opening for a true #1, and these kids need to prove themselves in the offseason. I see Jackson going back to Philly personally, so maybe Garcon is a more likely target if Jeffery proves "ungettable".

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Jeffery would help fix that, it really is the overall offense that will be the ultimate fix. If he can stay healthy, I can see Spruce being the #2, Pharoh being the slot receiver, and Austin used as a gadget player (unless McVay can get more out of him than that). That does still leave an opening for a true #1, and these kids need to prove themselves in the offseason. I see Jackson going back to Philly personally, so maybe Garcon is a more likely target if Jeffery proves "ungettable".

I'd also be okay with bringing in Garcon instead of keeping Kenny Britt. McVay really needs to get Austin going, I have people telling me that Austin is actually good and worth the 10 million... I just shake my head

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm...both?

Doubtful. I would place better odds on the Rams getting neither than them even getting one. This team was so terrible offensively last year that it could take some serious work to repair the damage done on the FA market.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I mentioned in other threads, I haven't heard any issues about Jackson lately, but didn't he have some issues a few years ago with his homeboys. He had been connected to the Crips, one of his best friends was or is a Crip, along with some other friends? Hanging in LA year round probably wouldn't be the best fit, "if this is the case"?

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubtful. I would place better odds on the Rams getting neither than them even getting one. This team was so terrible offensively last year that it could take some serious work to repair the damage done on the FA market.

While I basically agree, I think we have an offensive coach now that guys will actually want to play for. Could help with drawing them in...

Plus it's L.A., moneymaking opportunities galore...

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson seems like a long shot seeing we already have that type of WR in Austin who we just signed to a big contract. Jackson is also 30 so signing him to a long term deal is more risky.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow Austin will make 15m in 2017. what a stupid contract. The highest payed player on the team wth? Other WR'S around the NFL are loving it though because they can say look what Austin is making... look at his shit #'s and look at mine.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow Austin will make 15m in 2017. what a stupid contract. The highest payed player on the team wth? Other WR'S around the NFL are loving it though because they can say look what Austin is making... look at his shit #'s and look at mine.

Why are you surprised? I mentioned this ridiculous contract to you the other day when we were talking about WR's...

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll be a cap casualty after this upcoming season or hopefully a restructured contract. That's one of the worst contracts in football.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really hoping that Austin is a better player than we have seen on the field under the mess called the Fisher era. Hell, No one on the team even Gurley looked very good last season if you ask me. Players that in the recent past that played under Fisher and looked horrible have moved on to other teams and have become a highlight video in a playoff game.

Players that began the season looking like an all pro player looked like a total different player by mid season. So I'm not writing off any Rams player yet. Even Austin. I think Fisher had this team so messed up it will be years before we and even the Rams organization discover just how bad of a coach he was. This team could be loaded with talent just waiting for the right leader.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll be a cap casualty after this upcoming season or hopefully a restructured contract. That's one of the worst contracts in football.

It really is. It changes the WR pay across the league. It really is making it tough for teams to give their players extensions for reasons I mentioned above. They never figured they would have to pay that much money so its screwing up their cap. A good example is Jordon Matthews of the Eagles. He will be a FA in 2018 so the Eagles wanted to extend him but they might not be able to pay him because his performance has been way better then Austins. which means he will point to his contract and say I need more money then this guy. Leave it to the Rams to screw up the contract market :doh: