• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jason Whitlock on Social Justice Warriors

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FS1 employees are trying so hard to be controversial and relevant.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FS1 is unwatchable. At least they'll have some good college football games this season. I don't think there's anybody worse in sports media than Whitlock, Skip and Shannon. Cowherd is okay.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite is when we pretend being given an education that people otherwise go 100s of thousands of dollars in debt for = "not getting a dime".

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite is when we pretend being given an education that people otherwise go 100s of thousands of dollars in debt for = "not getting a dime".
Yep. And a bunch are not taking advantage of that opportunity. They are just one severe injury from regretting not doing so.

For the most part, nobody really gives a shit if the individual isn't taking advantage of that opportunity as longs as they can deliver on the field. They take the "it is up to the individual student" line. Shit, I went to college with a bunch of rich kids that "didn't take advantage of the opportunity" either.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Half the players at Power 5 schools right now...if they couldn't play...they wouldn't even
be allowed to drive by the school, let alone enroll in it.

If I wanted to see "collegians" play college football, I'd watch Brown play Cornell.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FS1 is unwatchable. At least they'll have some good college football games this season. I don't think there's anybody worse in sports media than Whitlock, Skip and Shannon. Cowherd is okay.

Agree 100%

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I wanted to see "collegians" play college football, I'd watch Brown play Cornell.
I watched Dartmouth play Cornell once. Both teams had about three or four really good players, and a bunch of other players to fill out their rosters.

It was a fun afternoon of college football!

That said, I think you would be surprised at just how many college football players actually take school seriously. The numbers are not as low as you think.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched Dartmouth play Cornell once. Both teams had about three or four really good players, and a bunch of other players to fill out their rosters.

That said, I think you would be surprised at just how many college football players actually take school seriously. The numbers are not as low as you think.

Make sure you read my words correct. I said "half of the players at P5 schools." I think
that is very accurate.

Ever hear the story of the Cornell-Dartmouth game of 1939 or 1940. (Somewhere in there)
Cornell had won something like 19 or 20 games in a row. Dartmouth was beating them 3-0
with seconds to go and Cornell inside the 10-yard line. Cornell attempted a pass which
Dartmouth batted down on 4th down. However, the official lost track of the down and gave
Cornell another down. They scored on the final play of the game.

A couple of days later after reviewing the game film, Cornell contacted Dartmouth to inform
them of the mistake and they admitted the mistake and awarded Dartmouth a 3-0 win.
I doubt any phone call would be made today.

And Bob Blackmon who was a great coach at Dartmouth may have had the greatest zinger
ever tossed at Paterno and Penn St.

The East back in the 70's and before always awarded the Lambert Trophy to the best Univeristy
team in the East and the Lambert Cup to th best College team in the East. The Ivy League was
still considered a Unviersity team in 1970. Dartmouth went 9-0 and was awarded the Lambert
Trophy. Paterno and Penn St went nuts and thought that 7-3 Penn St should be awarded the
trophy because they were the better team.

Paterno challenged Dartmouth to play in a Bowl Game for custody of the Lambert Trophy.
When the media asked Blackmon what he thought of that he replied..."Well, the Ivy League
forbids its members to participate in a post-season game. But, even if they were to allow
us to play in the post-season, I really would rather have my undefeated team play somebody
more deserving than some 3-loss team."

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make sure you read my words correct. I said "half of the players at P5 schools." I think that is very accurate.
Okay. Please defend your statement with a reference or two. Let's see some data.

I'll wait.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay. Please defend your statement with a reference or two. Let's see some data.

I'll wait.

No Problem

The link shows the best 25 and worst 25.

15 Power 5 schools in the best...12 Power 5 schools in the worst. 38 in between.
Now considering that all of them have 35 to 40 scout team, walk-on's and they must
be on track academically, and obviously used to keep the school eligible for Bowl/Playoff
games...I'll stand by my guess.
College Football Schools with the Best and Worst Graduation Rates

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the TLDR version of what you posted:

upload_2017-8-11_14-16-54.png

Going back to your claim that
Half the players at Power 5 schools right now...if they couldn't play...they wouldn't even be allowed to drive by the school, let alone enroll in it.

it should be clear that there are a couple of problems.

First off, the data you cited was not limited to P5 programs. Second, it should be clear that the average GSR rating for the 50 schools listed in the report is above 50% (it is 69.82%). Even if I fill in the middle 80 schools with a GSR of 58% (that of the #106 school) the average GSR comes out to be 62.55%.

And this is using the total number of programs for the 2017 season, rather than the 124 programs that existed in 2012. Using that number, and assumeing a GSR of 58% for the unreported 74 programs, generates an average GSR of 62.77%.

So in short, you provided data that indicates that your initial claim is incorrect.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen A Smith
Jemele Hill

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've had a few friends play ball at Cornell. Both very accomplishment listed HS players, the older brother was easily D1 material. His younger brother followed a few years later was solid as well, if not a serious D1 prospect.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowherd is the queen of hot takes. His analysis is a mile wide and an inch deep. Listen to him long enough and you'll catch him contradicting himself on shit he's said weeks or months ago.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to touch on his point in the video for a second. It's not a felony because it's giving money to poor black kids. It's a felony because it's taking advantage of somebody's circumstances and taking away their future. If he (the agent) gets caught, or they (the pkayers) get caught, those players lose their eligibility. And like the current system or not, getting thrown out of the system is never ever going to be to the players benefit.

So this law that he is demonizing. The one that makes it a felony for agents to offer bribe money (that is what it is) to kids who might be tempted to gamble away their entire future for a couple thousand dollars. By demonizing that law he is essentially calling for more people to prey on poor young black men.

So is he in favor of preying on the weaknesses of the disadvantaged, or is he just too stupid to put 2 and 2 together? Either way it makes me less likely to take anything he says seriously.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whitlock is ok. I find cowherd entertaining. Skip, Shannon, and nick wright can all get lost