• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

James Gayle is a low 3 star prospect with few offers.....

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...hmm....

"Mike Gentry, Tech’s associate AD for athletic performance, and his staff concluded strength and conditioning testing for the football team before spring break, and James Gayle earned the highest honor handed out by the staff.

Gayle, a rising redshirt sophomore from Hampton, Va., earned the Excalibur Award, which takes into account his marks in the four major lifts (bench press, front squat, power clean and push jerks) and five conditioning tests (40-yard dash, 10-yard sprint, 20-yard shuttle run, sit-reach test and vertical jump). The 6-foot-4, 251-pounder recorded a 420-pound bench and a 420-pound front squat. He finished with a 341-pound push jerk, and he set the defensive ends record in the power clean with a 366-pound lift. He had a 38-inch vertical jump and ran the 40 in 4.45.

Gayle was one of 11 Hokies to earn Super Iron status in the strength and conditioning program. The rest include Vinston Painter, David Wang, Josh Oglesby, Riley Beiro, Joey Phillips, Mark Carter, D.J. Coles, Marcus Davis, Telvion Clark and Wiley Brown."

I like that we evaluate talent very well. You guys that know me from my DisnESPN days know that I loved this kid and dafunk et al talked about how he didn't have the ability to play for even App State.

James+Gayle+Virginia+Tech+v+North+Carolina+69cuO7eq5sGl.jpg

He and McCray are going to draw and quarter some quarterbacks this year.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
yeah buddy!!! those are some pretty impressive #'s for a DE. You werent alone with your impression of Gayle every year after the spring game a couple friends and I vote on 2 awards that we came up with: 1) The fire and desire award goes to the player who looks to be giving that extra 1% out there, a guy who isnt afraid to sacfice his body, basically just the guy who wants to be a playmaker and 2) The sleeping giant award. This usually goes to a FR/RSFR that maybe didnt have the biggest name or most *'s coming out of HS. Anyway long story short Gayle won the sleeping giant award.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I hope he can destroy some qb's this year. It would be nice to have that kind of pressure which an offense has to plan for each game.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
BTW: i watched DJ coles play twice in HS, if his "light ever comes on" he should be a real solid WR and poss return man for VT. I dont know much about his hands (he played RB in HS) but he is shifty as hell and has enough speed to take it the distance.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Man I hope he can destroy some qb's this year. It would be nice to have that kind of pressure which an offense has to plan for each game.

He and McCray are gonna be flat NASTY off the edge next year.:rockon::whoo::cheer2:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impressive numbers! I know he has shown much promise, so hopefully this will translate to the field. If Gayle, and McCray/Acree turn out to be what we think they can the D-Line will wreak havoc. If he can add on 15-20lbs and keep his 40 time at/under 4.6 NFL scouts could be drooling in a couple years.