• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jake Elliott to the Eagles

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is that. Not one single kick by Bullock yet but the second half kickoff and we lose Elliott. I expect Elliott to go on to a good career and Bullock to complete yip it up now.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carrying two kickers was dumb.

If they wanted to hang onto Elliot, then they should have just kept him.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was nothing special. I don't know why they drafted him in the 5th round.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullock is going to blow a game or two. I can feel it.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullock is going to blow a game or two. I can feel it.

Ain't no doubt.

You are right, you can find 10 kickers on the street that will be serviceable. However, Elliott did have a leg. When was the last time we had a FG who attempted a 60 yard FG and had enough distance to make it from 65? His hang time on kickoffs was better than Bullock also allowing coverage teams to converge and tackle guys around the 10 to 15 yard line.

It was a mistake on our part, but not one that can't be fixed next year if necessary.

What would we have drafted in the 5th round if not him? We already had too many draft picks. We need to start drafting for quality now versus quantity. We have stocked the cupboard with young, fast guys, but now we need to package picks together to move up in earlier rounds to grab more talent overall. We do okay in college free agency too, so if we only get 3 to 4 picks total in the draft, as long as we "held on to our own" as they say, and used FA for backup depth...3 to 4 picks with college free agents are enough, as long as we are not losing 15 guys in the offseason.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well.... In the prior 5 drafts, we got Marvin Jones, George Iloka, Rex Burkhead, and AJ McCarron in the 5th round or later..... Not to mention some of the undrafted guys. Given how often we fail in rounds 2 and 3, maybe we need to maximize our number of picks in the hopes of getting at least one or two of them right.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would have had to release Bullock entirely, no practice squad for him.

they gambled and lost.

at least they were kind enough to give Elliot the opportunity to play as an NFL starter, but I can see what you mean. If Elliot works out, we could end up having him around for 10-20 years. imagine that!

oh well. same old bengals.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, he did miss today..... In a similar situation to what Bullock missed.

But, yeah..... This is going to be hilarious when the kid turns into a pro bowler.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The beginning of a legend. our grand kids will be calling him the greatest kicker of all time.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals fucked this up. Haven't had a kicker in god knows how long. They draft one, then watch him turn into a star on another team. Not remotely surprised. But man am I sick of these fucking idiots.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals fucked this up. Haven't had a kicker in god knows how long. They draft one, then watch him turn into a star on another team. Not remotely surprised. But man am I sick of these fucking idiots.

I'm not sure what they could have done though..... I wanted them to keep Elliot, but I acknowledged that everything I read had said that Bullock clearly outkicked him in training camp. In many ways, it was shocking that the Bengals kept Bullock - He was destined to lose. He cost more money (more years in) and he wasn't a draft pick. I suppose they could have said that it was Elliot's job because they hand-selected him for the future, but that wouldn't have been a good look if he would have come out and failed.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't agree with the narrative that the Bengals screwed this up. Not if you draft the kid, have him compete, and he clearly lost the competition. Had they cut Bullock and Elliot misses a kick, everyone would be screaming that they screwed up keeping the kid who clearly lost the competition.

Only thing they could have done was draft him, and then not have a competition, but give him the job outright.

And I think to label him a "Star" is quite ridiculous. I think he's 3 of 5 so far. Yes, he hit the 61 yarder, but Bullock has enough leg to kick those as well. He nailed a few 55+ this pre-season, with more than enough leg to clear from 60+.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can also make the case that the 61 yarder was pressure free..... If you miss a 41 yarder at the gun, everyone wants your job. Miss a 61 yarder at the gun and its not your fault - Its just too far away.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't agree with the narrative that the Bengals screwed this up. Not if you draft the kid, have him compete, and he clearly lost the competition. Had they cut Bullock and Elliot misses a kick, everyone would be screaming that they screwed up keeping the kid who clearly lost the competition.

Only thing they could have done was draft him, and then not have a competition, but give him the job outright.

And I think to label him a "Star" is quite ridiculous. I think he's 3 of 5 so far. Yes, he hit the 61 yarder, but Bullock has enough leg to kick those as well. He nailed a few 55+ this pre-season, with more than enough leg to clear from 60+.

Get out of here with your logic. It's obvious that Bullock has been more efficient. However we all know how the script goes. Jake Elliott was drafted by the Bengals. They cut him. He went to another team and made a huge play. The law of averages tell us he will likely become an All-Pro. What franchise do we pull for again? Of course. The one that routinely fucks everything up.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
obviously they wasted a pick if they were going to go with Bullock anyhow.

We knew exactly what were getting with Bullock, and when his contract is over he'll be gone anyhow.

complete ineptitude by the Bengals year in and year out.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
obviously they wasted a pick if they were going to go with Bullock anyhow.

We knew exactly what were getting with Bullock, and when his contract is over he'll be gone anyhow.

complete ineptitude by the Bengals year in and year out.
They weren't going with Bullock anyhow.

They had a competition. Elliot lost. By a lot. It wasn't close. Had it been close, I think they would have gone with Elliot, but it wasn't. You can't have a competition, and then when one guy loses decide to keep him anyway. Could you imagine if they had done that, and then he started off mising 2 of his first 4 kicks like he did with Phi?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just needed time to get his wings under him. *pun intended*

4 for 4 yesterday. 61 yard game winner. Now he starts to take off. *more pun*

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little late on this one, but did you guys hear/read Marvin's reaction last week when a reporter asked him about Jake Elliot's 61 yard game winner? Marvin didn't say anything nice about the kid at all.... He said, "What is he, 3 for 5?"

What a fucking dick.

Never change Marvin, never change.