• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Its Official...EDDIE P the sequel is in full motion!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read this in the Charleston Gazzette about the Big 12 and Athletic improvements..and Lyon's giving a the state of the union so to speak...some highlights!..

Oklahoma scaled down a $370 million project to a mere $160 million upgrade to Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. Kansas State’s Bill Snyder Family Football Stadium has had about $200 million in renovations.

Iowa State’s Jack Trice Stadium had a $60 million facelift in 2015. TCU’s Amon G. Carter Stadium had a $164 million re-do in 2012. Texas is always spending — including updating its “Godzillatron” and sporting the fancy lockers of which you’ve probably heard. And Texas Tech has new FieldTurf and has poured more than $150 million into Jones AT&T Stadium over the past two decades.

Of course, WVU is also spending. And athletic director Shane Lyons is using this summer to determine just how.

“Now that the new fiscal year has started we’re focusing on the upcoming years,” he said this week. “We’re studying what’s potentially next from a facility standpoint. We’re looking at the finances and how things can happen.

I will come back to the the underlined in a moment!:D

That’s always ongoing. We need to have the right plan in place. We feel good about finishing products on the [Milan Puskar] football stadium. The west side and video board are coming along as projected. We just have to keep moving forward and not get complacent.”

Okay..not being complacent is a good thing...

BUT....here we go.................

This summer we’ve been working on the [American Disability Act] requirements,” Lyons said. “That’s part of Phase Two [of the 100-plus-million-dollar department-wide facility renovation initiative] as well as adding a new club area or potential suites. That’s been put on hold though.”

Umm...why?

and more....

That was initially part of adding suites and/or a club area,” Lyons said. “With so much overrun with the concourse area work we’ve been slowed from a funding standpoint. That’s what we’re continuing to look at: the next phase at the Coliseum.

Okay, two things here...if the cost overrun was that substantial and it it blew over the contingency budget who is accountable for that?...and why would you let it happen?...big sign that Shane the Compliance officer missed Economics 101 and basic math at WV!.........and something that sounds eerilty familiar to what EDDIE P would say in the day..

“The dominos have to fall right,” he continued. “Currently that area is the weight room. In order to put a club or suites in there, the weight room has to be moved out. But I need somewhere for that. So we’re trying to plan strategically.

Plan Strategically for that??..:lol: King Ollie found enough ground to build a 15,000 seat baseball stadium, you can't find 4000 sq ft for a weight room?

So coming back to the we are looking at finances piece.. Just pulled up Wv's reveunes for this year.. 26th largest budget in the country!..$105 Million Dollars and had a $ 4 million Dollar Surplus!.( BTW Who would have ever thought that would happen, thanks KING OLLIE!)..Hey SHANE, the money is at the BANK!! The only strategy you need is to ask someone for the PIN number and plug the banks address into your WAZE!

EERitant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was the cost overrun ALL due to the additional asbestos abatement they uncovered once they got into the project or something else? Seems a little bit easier to find land for a baseball stadium 5 miles off campus than a weight room on. I take it you aren't a fan of the AD?

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sense something major is about to happen with the football facilities/stadium. This is the first year that WVU has gotten the full Big12 cut of the financial pie (in the poorest state in the union) and we have great facilities for basketball and a brand new baseball stadium. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now and see what happens in the next year or two.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was the cost overrun ALL due to the additional asbestos abatement they uncovered once they got into the project or something else? Seems a little bit easier to find land for a baseball stadium 5 miles off campus than a weight room on. I take it you aren't a fan of the AD?

Up to this point he ain't exactly set the world on fire...

And just kind of curious...didn't they just build a new Basketball Practice Facility with a brand new weight room?..why do they need two?..if they need to expand the new one...do it!

The "Cost Overrun" had to do with re-scoping one of the entrances..

Last edited:

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sense something major is about to happen with the football facilities/stadium. This is the first year that WVU has gotten the full Big12 cut of the financial pie (in the poorest state in the union) and we have great facilities for basketball and a brand new baseball stadium. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now and see what happens in the next year or two.

He had nothing to do with the baseball stadium

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

King Ollie came in and put together a comprehensive business plan that included self evaluation of each program, from staff to facilities, put a concise list of action items that included finding a path for financing all projects with even having the the biggest curve ball an AD could have to hit with the nuclear meltdown of the Big East and in the middle of it all find WV a home..and did it with in 5 years!...

All i hear from Lyon's now is rhetoric.just like FAST EDDIE P used to do..starting with the stall job to almost set Wv football back 5 years with what he did to Dana..to now messaging that Wv athletics the healthiest its ever been in its history can't finance new suites at Puskar!..how can that be? How hard is it to get financing if that is what is needed when you can show an ROI that pays it back in 3 years...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had nothing to do with the baseball stadium
No I was just talking from an investment standpoint overall by the dept. The investments have been made in baseball and basketball (and football too to a lesser degree) and now the department is getting more money. It makes sense financially to go big on some football (the biggest revenue sport)upgrades now but, we'll see.

EERitant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
King Ollie came in and put together a comprehensive business plan that included self evaluation of each program, from staff to facilities, put a concise list of action items that included finding a path for financing all projects with even having the the biggest curve ball an AD could have to hit with the nuclear meltdown of the Big East and in the middle of it all find WV a home..and did it with in 5 years!...

All i hear from Lyon's now is rhetoric.just like FAST EDDIE P used to do..starting with the stall job to almost set Wv football back 5 years with what he did to Dana..to now messaging that Wv athletics the healthiest its ever been in its history can't finance new suites at Puskar!..how can that be? How hard is it to get financing if that is what is needed when you can show an ROI that pays it back in 3 years...

2 Questions-1) Why would Dana have stayed if he was Eddie P clone? 2) How do you know he doesn't have/isn't working on master plan for suites?
I read a lot of Luck love, similar to the RR & even BS fans. Everyone wants what they used to have.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 Questions-1) Why would Dana have stayed if he was Eddie P clone? 2) How do you know he doesn't have/isn't working on master plan for suites?
I read a lot of Luck love, similar to the RR & even BS fans. Everyone wants what they used to have.

Easy to answer...

1. Details are beginning to come out about Dana Holgorsen’s contract extension with West Virginia. According to Pete Thamel, Sports Illustrated senior writer, Holgorsen has agreed to a 5-year extension worth $18.6 million, with the contract topping out at $4 million in the final year.

Why would he leave with 18.6 million pretty much guaranteed?

2. He said so..see article I posted.

As far as what we used to have..for me personally...the only thing that I would want is KING OLLIE ...THE BEST ATHLETIC DIRECTOR IN THE HISTORY OF WV !.And there is no disputing it....The only one worth mentioning besides Luck was Fresh Schaus

EERitant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy to answer...

1. Details are beginning to come out about Dana Holgorsen’s contract extension with West Virginia. According to Pete Thamel, Sports Illustrated senior writer, Holgorsen has agreed to a 5-year extension worth $18.6 million, with the contract topping out at $4 million in the final year.

Why would he leave with 18.6 million pretty much guaranteed?

2. He said so..see article I posted.

As far as what we used to have..for me personally...the only thing that I would want is KING OLLIE ...THE BEST ATHLETIC DIRECTOR IN THE HISTORY OF WV !.And there is no disputing it....The only one worth mentioning besides Luck was Fresh Schaus
1-Supposedly Dana had multiple options. PLUS he didn't exactly take top pay relative to other deals. It just occurs to me that if Lyons was so bad Dana wouldn't have stuck around.
2-Where does he say he's not working on a master plan??

Ollie is hard act to follow no doubt. I just think Lyons takes way too much grief, mainly for not being Ollie. He's no Eddie P.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1-Supposedly Dana had multiple options. PLUS he didn't exactly take top pay relative to other deals. It just occurs to me that if Lyons was so bad Dana wouldn't have stuck around.
2-Where does he say he's not working on a master plan??

Ollie is hard act to follow no doubt. I just think Lyons takes way too much grief, mainly for not being Ollie. He's no Eddie P.

as well as adding a new club area or potential suites. That’s been put on hold though.

“With so much overrun with the concourse area work we’ve been slowed from a funding standpoint. That’s what we’re continuing to look at: the next phase at the Coliseum.

That could tell you one of two things...he's tossed it to the side for the time being or he has no idea how to get what is needed..

OLLIE never spoke in retreat mode even if he didn't have the money..like the hoops he needed to jump to get the Baseball stadium going... he had a vision and plan and refused to believe he couldn't get it done. I hear Shane stammering a little bit...no plan...no vision of whats next...just cleaning up the projects already out lined in KING OLLIES strategic plan...

Luck outlines $106 million in WVU athletics projects - West Virginia Press Association

An Oldie but a goodie from our Friend Mickey...LOL..

FURFARI COLUMN: Luck seemingly did far more damage than any other WVU AD

EERitant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO your being a little hard on the Beav Ward. He isnt' articulate like Ollie I'll give you that, but if something is on hold, seems to me to indicate there is a plan, it's just that--on hold while they work through finances.
We'll see. The "King" had some warts too, don't forget that.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you Slaton. Lyons is not very progressive. While a part of me can understand his fear of the well drying up soon, one must also put the future in perspective. You are the AD for the state's largest university, financial conditions may change... and your department's means of handling expenditures can change with the times.

If you don't act now, you only fall further behind those who have done so in the past... those who are doing more now.

We cannot be a player if we ain't on a level field.

Lyons needs to grow a set...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you Slaton. Lyons is not very progressive. While a part of me can understand his fear of the well drying up soon, one must also put the future in perspective. You are the AD for the state's largest university, financial conditions may change... and your department's means of handling expenditures can change with the times.

If you don't act now, you only fall further behind those who have done so in the past... those who are doing more now.

We cannot be a player if we ain't on a level field.

Lyons needs to grow a set...

That's along the lines of where I am with the entire thing too. Yea the well may run dry here in a few years but either way WVU needs to be on the level with the programs that we CAN be on the level with. No we will never go toe to toe with the Texas/OU/Ohio State ect. Athletic departments no matter what but we DO need to be even or better with the Pitt/Kentucky/VT ect of the world and imo in the baseball and basketball programs we are but football now needs a big shot in the arm and the money should be there now to do it so yea.. let's see what ( if anything) Lyons has up his sleeve here.

EERitant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But AGAIN what exactly is he not doing? Stadium concourses & scoreboard-check, Coliseum concourses-check, Suites on hold. Aquatic & Track Center-Lyon's project I believe is soon to break ground.
This is better article than Mitchie's IMO-
WVU facilities renovations in final stages

The most pressing need I see is a new/renovated FB IPF. That's what should be in planning. HOW with the space is the question?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lyons has created what 5 yr plan?

He fucked Dana and the football program by keeping him on the hot seat for two straight years. He has done nothing but complete the facility plans put in place by the King.

EERitant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, he doesn't have a plan just because he didn't share it with Mitchie?
WHY did Dana re-up again? And don't say 18Million reasons when over and over I read where he had multiple options.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think it's important to rate my post with a dislike? You really believe that shit matters? Grow the fuck up.

It is not important who Lyons shares his 5 year plan with... right? He could use any number of sources to inform the WVU fanbase. What is significant is that he has not released it to any of us.

Your question regarding Dana and his choice to remain at WVU is an interesting one to consider. JMO, but I believe Dana feels he has built something at WVU and wants to enjoy the fruit of his labor. This is his first HC job, so we don't have a history with him. When WVU entered the Big 12, he said he wanted to model his program after Bill Snyder's. Bill never left KSU for another school.

Love of WV.... love of WVU... may override the treatment he faced by our goofball president and incompetent AD.