• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's football vs. forest in Va. Tech sports facility controversy

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
^ and this, ladies and gentlemen, is how message boards are supposed to work.

:focus:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my twisted sense of humor, I was just thinking how hilarious it would be if lightning struck that patch forest and burnt it down afterall this fuss.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So yes or no on poisoning all the trees, and then calling into a radio station pretending to be a UVA fan and confessing. Could go like this.... "they put a Virginia tech tshirt on the statue of Thomas Jefferson (which we actually did this year) so I went down there and I poisoned the trees in stadium woods.... WAHOOWA!!!"

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So what are they going to name it?

I guess Stadium Woods Practice Facility is out.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what are they going to name it?

I guess Stadium Woods Practice Facility is out.

That would have been perfect. After all, they would have donated their lives. Humans usually only donate money. We are a selfish species...

I think that is an angle I'm surprised isn't being brought up much.... What if the trees wanted this facility to be built there? Who's to say that we are working against their will? Unless this professor can prove that the trees are against he building of the facility in stadium woods, I think we have grounds to start chopping.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my twisted sense of humor, I was just thinking how hilarious it would be if lightning struck that patch forest and burnt it down afterall this fuss.

Just need to have Lee Corso park over there at one game.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That would have been perfect. After all, they would have donated their lives. Humans usually only donate money. We are a selfish species...

I think that is an angle I'm surprised isn't being brought up much.... What if the trees wanted this facility to be built there? Who's to say that we are working against their will? Unless this professor can prove that the trees are against he building of the facility in stadium woods, I think we have grounds to start chopping.

Actually, they could probably still name it Stadium Woods Practice Facility.

After all, they likely chopped down the same kinds of trees when they put the existing structures in place -- there just wasn't someone there pointing out how old the trees were.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I wonder if university and athletic department officials conversed with officials from Cal-Berkeley during this process. Remember Cal built a similar practice facility to that which is being proposed at Stadium Woods. It got to be a mess with City and protesters, lawyers, etc. FWIW, the University took out the forest, built the facility and replanted trees at 3 times what they removed.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indoor practice facility

A closer look at the proposed sites for Virginia Tech's indoor practice facility | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Good article detailing the proposed sites. After reading it, I agree with the scoring matrix that the Southgate lot is the best option. In fact, I think it should score higher. To me, it fits everything. You keep the trees and tennis courts, it's still a short distance to walk for the athletes*, and it doesn't eliminate too much parking/tailgate lots. I never tailgate there anyway. Plus it comes with a Gameday Center! (WTF is that and does it have a bar?). So yeah, get on it VT. Build it.

*boohoo about athletes having to walk. Big freaking deal. I had to walk from Litton Reeves to Randolph and Durham in under 10 mins several times. I never complained (that might be a lie).

One last thing, I love option 7 "Inert Debris Site". You mean an "empty field"? Presentation jargon can be such bullshit at times. It's a fucking field. Everyone knows what it is. I see stuff like this in technical presentations too. People come up with the fanciest names for the most basic things and everyone acts like it has to be done. You're some kind of country bumpkin if you call it what it is.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article. Looks like Southgate location will work out. Southgate is a lot better than the stadium woods location.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Southgate would be good. It mentions basement parking. Are they thinking of digging out even deeper under it to create parking? The pic also kind of looks like they might make it some sort of deck and have parking on the top too???

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Southgate location isn't bad, but anyone know why the non-revenue sport fields next to the Cassell lot and directly across Spring from Lane weren’t even considered?

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that we are letting those trees play into this so much, as to where our current practice fields would be in jeopardy is unbelievable. Build this thing! Our program needs it.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The fact that we are letting those trees play into this so much, as to where our current practice fields would be in jeopardy is unbelievable. Build this thing! Our program needs it.

I agree.

Just because one professor has labeled those trees as "old" shouldn't stop progress.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are things bigger to the university than football. At first I was with you on this but now I am not. I am glad to see something where $$ isn't the driver. We need the facility, it is an investment that will have a ROI but the university is seeing that there are other costs that aren't worth the $$. Things like the stadium woods are what separates us from the SEC and makes VT a better place than other schools.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things like the stadium woods are what separates us from the SEC and makes VT a better place for freshman to smoke pot than at other schools.

fify.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
if not in the woods, i say put it on top of the tennis courts. The tennis courts have no real need to be where they are and could be relocated almost anywhere on campus.