• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's football vs. forest in Va. Tech sports facility controversy

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
i'm not trying to argue either, i even said my defense of the tennis courts was mostly in jest, as long as they plan on building new ones somewhere else

I would guess that finding a place for the tennis courts wont be a problem. If that is where they decide to build, look at it this way: the new courts will prob be a lot nicer with any and all the bells and whistles to go along with it. So hopefully it will be a win/win for everyone.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess that finding a place for the tennis courts wont be a problem. If that is where they decide to build, look at it this way: the new courts will prob be a lot nicer with any and all the bells and whistles to go along with it. So hopefully it will be a win/win for everyone.

agreed

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Christ .. Football season needs to start .. We're talking about fucking trees .. Plant some more somewhere else

3p7k39.jpg

366kzx.jpg

3ovxx9.jpg

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christ .. Football season needs to start .. We're talking about fucking trees .. Plant some more somewhere else

3p7k39.jpg

366kzx.jpg

3ovxx9.jpg

lol, rep if i had it

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
WTF... that was... this is... Right after issuance of the GD rule!
:smokin:

I almost have to salute you for the ballsy, fuck the police attitude. :yo:

But...

Fuck you :love:

:rockon:

edit damn you that was my first neg!

Last edited by a moderator:

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How is historical significance derived from there not being any others on campus? These trees don't mean anything to VT. They may mean something to an individual such as this prof, but not to VT as a whole. When have you seen them on the cover of the alumni mag, or a VT website, or anything like that (other than as a result of an article about this stink)?

I'm going to have to disagree with your interpretation of historical significance. Considering they've been there longer than the campus itself, I'd say they have some meaning to VT. It's like the Hokie Stone. It has no real meaning behind it, but to some people its uniqueness has created significance to the campus over the years.

And since 10,000 people have signed a petition to keep the trees, I'd say that they mean something to more than just an individual. Seiler is the spokesman, but he's not the only person behind this.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It looks like the plans for the facility will be moved to the tennis courts.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd personally have a tough time taking a saw to a 300 year old tree and thats how I look at it, I'd rather they build it in the South endzone lot and build a parking deck somewhere else on campus. The tennis courts would be a good spot as well if it would fit. As others have said they would put in brand new courts elsewhere and that would be a win-win.

VT is known for it's mountainesque feel and forests are part of that. I feel we should keep exploring other sites for the facility.

The other side of the argument is how many old ass trees are there below the drill field and by Duck Pond that no one is talking about.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Andy Bitter‏@AndyBitterVT
Another issue: they don't want a six-story facility on campus that goes that high. Would have to be sunk into ground, could increase costs

Committee recommends relocating the proposed site from the woods to Washington St. site. Perpendicular site rejected too.

Also a proposal that puts the facility diagonally on Washington St. Basically trying every configuration to wedge that sucker in there.

Some of older trees are on that side of the forest, though, including oldest that might 450 years old.

Randolph brings up modified Washington St idea, with facility perpendicular to street. Only .8 acre of trees affected.

Washington Street site would remove tennis courts/hockey rink. Committee has alternative sites for those in mind if facility built there.

Emails were 97 percent against building on the site. Only 13 percent of people polled on campus in favor of facility on woods site.

Randolph says woods site would remove 117 trees greater than 10" diameter, 9 older than 300 years old

Randolph said committee got 500 emails on the issue and 2,100 participants in on-campus survey.

Randolph says 59 trees in woods estimated to be at least 300 years old.

John Randolph, chair of the 15-person committee to study the Stadium Woods issue, ready to give update. No action will be taken today.

The Stadium Woods are going to be 400 years old by the time this presentation begins.

VT Board of Visitors will hear a report on the Stadium Woods issue soon. Several people here with signs in support of keeping trees

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^ Where is Harvey Updyke when you need him :L

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think I predicted this.

Like I said, brilliant PR move by Va Tech forestry professor John Seiler.

On the bright side, expect that forest to get good TV coverage, as having the oldest forest on any university campus has got to be good for some ESPN air time during discussion breaks on game day. It can also be added to VT's student recruiting literature.

Better add some trash collection funds to keep it cleaned up. Perhaps that should be added to the professor's responsibilities.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:rockon:

edit damn you that was my first neg!

hah whoops. I know it doesn't matter but I was going to change it later after you notice.

Shit's locked out though...

so...

Whoops.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to have to disagree with your interpretation of historical significance. Considering they've been there longer than the campus itself, I'd say they have some meaning to VT. It's like the Hokie Stone. It has no real meaning behind it, but to some people its uniqueness has created significance to the campus over the years.

And since 10,000 people have signed a petition to keep the trees, I'd say that they mean something to more than just an individual. Seiler is the spokesman, but he's not the only person behind this.

How can its uniqueness have created significance to the campus over the years when it's uniqueness wasn't even recognized until just recently?

Long term existence does not equate to meaning something to the university. They mean something to PEOPLE, not to the university, which has never shown any care for them. Neither have a lot of people, judging by the trash in them...

I did not mean to imply that Seiler is the only one who cares about them. Obviously there are plenty of other people who at least say they care (for many, and probably most, it is not really that big a deal but signing a petition doesn't cost them anything and is "the PC/cool thing to do"). But for crying out loud, there are people who care about anything and everything, with all kinds of lousy reasons. I'm trying to find (or establish the lack thereof) an objective reason not to build the facility there. Are there reasons to move it? Yes. Are there reasons to go ahead? Yes. Which side's reasons are better? In my mind, building the facility... by a country mile.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better add some trash collection funds to keep it cleaned up. Perhaps that should be added to the professor's responsibilities.

LOL... I second this!

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
hah whoops. I know it doesn't matter but I was going to change it later after you notice.

Shit's locked out though...

so...

Whoops.

I negged you back so.... ha, take that!... i guess.

We can either let this be the end of it or if your serious we can take it to the argument thread.

[sarcasm] <----we need one of these smilies.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How can its uniqueness have created significance to the campus over the years when it's uniqueness wasn't even recognized until just recently?

Discoveries are made all the time. If Stonehenge or the pyramids were discovered tomorrow and no one knew about them, that would be a pretty significant discovery. Now the trees are no where near that significant, but I believe there is significance to them because of their age and uniqueness.

Long term existence does not equate to meaning something to the university. They mean something to PEOPLE, not to the university, which has never shown any care for them. Neither have a lot of people, judging by the trash in them...

Without people, the university would not be anything. Does the football team mean anything with the people? I would say until Frank Beamer took over there wasn't a whole lot of "meaning" behind the football team, but I know a lot of people would disagree with me because they loved VT and therefore loved the football team. I did not attend VT until 2005 so it's hard for me to find meaning to football beyond Frank Beamer, but I'm sure there are fans who can. Same can be said for these trees. You may think that they are nothing and a dumping ground, but it doesn't mean others felt the same way. Maybe this publicity will help improve the significance and meaning behind the trees to meet your criteria.

I did not mean to imply that Seiler is the only one who cares about them. Obviously there are plenty of other people who at least say they care (for many, and probably most, it is not really that big a deal but signing a petition doesn't cost them anything and is "the PC/cool thing to do"). But for crying out loud, there are people who care about anything and everything, with all kinds of lousy reasons. I'm trying to find (or establish the lack thereof) an objective reason not to build the facility there. Are there reasons to move it? Yes. Are there reasons to go ahead? Yes. Which side's reasons are better? In my mind, building the facility... by a country mile.

Fair enough and you make good points, but we're just on the opposite side of the fence here.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Discoveries are made all the time. If Stonehenge or the pyramids were discovered tomorrow and no one knew about them, that would be a pretty significant discovery. Now the trees are no where near that significant, but I believe there is significance to them because of their age and uniqueness.

That I would actually agree with (although we'd obviously differ on exactly how significant, and I would argue that it's not historical significance we're talking about). That's not how I took your previous comment.

Without people, the university would not be anything. Does the football team mean anything with the people? I would say until Frank Beamer took over there wasn't a whole lot of "meaning" behind the football team, but I know a lot of people would disagree with me because they loved VT and therefore loved the football team. I did not attend VT until 2005 so it's hard for me to find meaning to football beyond Frank Beamer, but I'm sure there are fans who can. Same can be said for these trees. You may think that they are nothing and a dumping ground, but it doesn't mean others felt the same way. Maybe this publicity will help improve the significance and meaning behind the trees to meet your criteria.

Don't get me wrong... as I posted earlier, I lived on Center St. and walked through those woods every day. I don't think they're nothing. I'd miss them. And I think it's pretty cool that they're that old and all. I appreciate big old trees quite a bit, actually (You should visit Savannah sometime... I love how they've maintained and tied into the city some of those behemoths). But overall I still think the arguments for building the facility there outweigh the counterarguments.

Fair enough and you make good points, but we're just on the opposite side of the fence here.

To each his own. I have enjoyed the debate. Thank you for the way you conducted your end. I have a lot of respect for someone who can keep their cool and make reasoned arguments.