• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It Donned on me at the Game........

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lame: Really DAD??...you haven't seen anything??...... 2012 Orange Bowl.. Wv70 Clemson 33
You want to point to ONE game against Clemson?? ONE game??? :lame:
LSU 47@WVU 21
WVU 23 @ 'Cuse 49
WVU 14 @ TTU 49
KSU 55 @WVU 14
WVU 34 @ OSU 55
WVU 14 VS 'Cuse 38
WVU 0 VS UMD 37

THAT is the trend, Holgorsen has coached 30 games at WVU, and SEVEN have been blow out losses, and YOU point to ONE big win. Slaton, come on man. This is the guy who is going to compete for the "national championship"???? The more of "his" players Holgorsen gets, the worse he does.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not entirely accurate...Though Rich was HC at Glenville State....not sure I would say that counts............
Slaton, of course it counts, learning to be a head coach at a lower level is ideal, as you learn how to be the CEO of the team before having to learn all the political BS that comes with the job at higher levels.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THAT is the trend, Holgorsen has coached 30 games at WVU, and SEVEN have been blow out losses, and YOU point to ONE big win. Slaton, come on man. This is the guy who is going to compete for the "national championship"???? The more of "his" players Holgorsen gets, the worse he does.

Not a fair assessment when you say getting worse with his players, they are all underclassmen...they need time to grow and learn the college game.

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DCW, all I want to say is, why are other schools having success with youth, while we suffer. I have gone back on looked at the stat sheets on these kids, they appear, ON PAPER, to be quality players. Why is it not translating to the field? That is a reasonable question, that leads to some assumptions that DH is not up to the task of bringing these kids along. We don't have two more years to allow him to grow into the job, something needs to be done, quickly.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DCW, all I want to say is, why are other schools having success with youth, while we suffer. I have gone back on looked at the stat sheets on these kids, they appear, ON PAPER, to be quality players. Why is it not translating to the field? That is a reasonable question, that leads to some assumptions that DH is not up to the task of bringing these kids along. We don't have two more years to allow him to grow into the job, something needs to be done, quickly.

Did those other programs have to build depth and well as develope players? How many seniors do we have on this team? Where are all those highly touted players from "our highest rated recruiting class"? We saw one of them last week, playing for another team. No matter if you have johnny Manziel or Tim TEbow leadership from the upper classman ranks is important. Does it make you wonder why or defense is so much better this year? We had younger guys grow into their roles and we have great senior leadership on that side of the ball. I believe we are the second youngest team in div 1.

And Jim I have asked this question before...why do we not have to more years? Does the program end then? Every single program from Bama to Wyoming has bad years, why do we as WVU fans feel we are exempt?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One question I have after watching WVU play 4 games, why is this offense struggling like it is?

As I have stated... goldrush as well... the offensive line play has been too poor to give the RB's holes... to give the QB time... to make plays.

But... why?

I will have to do a little research today... look into the situations at Okie St, TT and Baylor... to note the composition of their OL for comparison.

If the line does not figure it out this year... it will be tough for the offense to generate much production against 6 and 7 man drops.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did those other programs have to build depth and well as develope players? How many seniors do we have on this team? Where are all those highly touted players from "our highest rated recruiting class"? We saw one of them last week, playing for another team. No matter if you have johnny Manziel or Tim TEbow leadership from the upper classman ranks is important. Does it make you wonder why or defense is so much better this year? We had younger guys grow into their roles and we have great senior leadership on that side of the ball. I believe we are the second youngest team in div 1.

And Jim I have asked this question before...why do we not have to more years? Does the program end then? Every single program from Bama to Wyoming has bad years, why do we as WVU fans feel we are exempt?

You know why as well as any of us do, DC. We were told by Luck that a solid nine wins a year was unacceptable, and he hired a coach who he said would compete for the "national championship". AND we believed him. I myself am OK with a solid nine win season, with the occasional flirt with the very top. What I am NOT OK with is getting beaten like a drum over and over. There is no shame in going to LSU and losing by four points, getting pasted by 20+ by Syracuse (twice), Maryland, TTU, KSU, etc is ridiculous. I do NOT expect WVU to win 11 games every year, but I expect to compete EVERY week. I expect to see the kids play hard, I expect the coaches to game plan to give the kids a chance to win.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Luck ever say 9 wins a season was unacceptable?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know why as well as any of us do, DC. We were told by Luck that a solid nine wins a year was unacceptable, and he hired a coach who he said would compete for the "national championship". AND we believed him. I myself am OK with a solid nine win season, with the occasional flirt with the very top. What I am NOT OK with is getting beaten like a drum over and over. There is no shame in going to LSU and losing by four points, getting pasted by 20+ by Syracuse (twice), Maryland, TTU, KSU, etc is ridiculous. I do NOT expect WVU to win 11 games every year, but I expect to compete EVERY week. I expect to see the kids play hard, I expect the coaches to game plan to give the kids a chance to win.

I imagine if you walked up to any kid on this team and told him he is not playing hard you would get your ass kicked....I love it how you think you can watch on TV and tell if a kid is trying hard ot not.

More to my point which you failed to address is the fact we are building depth and having to coach guys up is a process that takes time.....a direct result of poor recruiting before....7 seniors on this team (1 transfer)....I wish you boy was still around so we could see how competitive we would have been with 15 scholarship players every year and a host of walk ons going against the same talent, but hey at least he was a WVU guy.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine if you walked up to any kid on this team and told him he is not playing hard you would get your ass kicked....I love it how you think you can watch on TV and tell if a kid is trying hard ot not.

More to my point which you failed to address is the fact we are building depth and having to coach guys up is a process that takes time.....a direct result of poor recruiting before....7 seniors on this team (1 transfer)....I wish you boy was still around so we could see how competitive we would have been with 15 scholarship players every year and a host of walk ons going against the same talent, but hey at least he was a WVU guy.

:agree: DC - you nailed it. I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that post. Did anybody see the Quinton Spain segment where he said that he was committed to WVU because all the other D-1 schools started pulling their scholarship? Hmm-speaks volumes. These guys may be trying to the best of their abilities; however, their talent level is sub-par.

Pat Eger played at a school that was classified as AAA but would play at least 1 AAAA school each year. His school was just a few boys shy of having to be classified as a AAAA school. They use to dominate AAA schools but would have been handled by the larger AAAA schools. They received some talent from Clairton, which borders the Thomas Jefferson School District. These kids that did not go to Clairton did not have a chance to sniff the field with the talent that Clairton had at the skilled positions. Pat Eger was a big kid playing against smaller ones. Now that he is competing against kids his size things have turned. I'm not attempting to pick on Eger, but this is what I see today versus watching him play in high school. Size and some talent? Yes. SEC, PAC-12, Big XII talent? No. Big East and some ACC talent? Yes.

As far as Freshman talent. If Tyler Boyd would have came to WVU, he would be on the field. No doubt about it. His talent level is very high; however, he is still raw at some of the skills which he still needs to develop. Kevin White may have talent, but for a JR, I would have expected that he would have more of the skills already developed. Where is McCartney? Here is some SR leadership that the offense could use. To give you an idea of the makeup (chemistry) of the offense line (r=red shirt):

SR=0; rSR=3 JR=1; rJR=3 SO= 0; rSO=3 FR=5; rFR=3.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want to point to ONE game against Clemson?? ONE game??? :lame:
LSU 47@WVU 21
WVU 23 @ 'Cuse 49
WVU 14 @ TTU 49
KSU 55 @WVU 14
WVU 34 @ OSU 55
WVU 14 VS 'Cuse 38
WVU 0 VS UMD 37

You said he had done nothing...and I begged to differ, it seems we all have short memories...I am going to give Holgy a pass for year one in a new conference....as far as Syracuse...seems as though bily Stewart had his hands full with them too...and the Cuse was a worse team when he had them....at home!!!:whistle:

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One question I have after watching WVU play 4 games, why is this offense struggling like it is?

As I have stated... goldrush as well... the offensive line play has been too poor to give the RB's holes... to give the QB time... to make plays.

But... why?

I will have to do a little research today... look into the situations at Okie St, TT and Baylor... to note the composition of their OL for comparison.

If the line does not figure it out this year... it will be tough for the offense to generate much production against 6 and 7 man drops.

I would reiterate it again...6 line coaches in 8 years............no continuity....losing Bedenbaugh was BIG!!...:nod:

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a question. Does anyone know whether Bill Stewart knew that WVU was going to the Big 12 in 2009 when he did not use all of the available scholarships? Could there have been an under current of discussion that kept him from going after kids that were of Big East talent levels? I'm in no way giving him an out here, I just want to know. What was happening with the whole transition thing from a very inferior conference(much different talent level) to one of the top conferences in the nation(a far superior talent level), and could that have been a distinctive problem? Stewart had a good team to start out with, he left a team far superior to most of the other Big East schools fro DH, but there was no way we had even a tenth of the talent needed to be successful in the Big 12(oline and dline way to small, limited speed in the secondary, those are the problems I have seen). Enlighten me!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a question. Does anyone know whether Bill Stewart knew that WVU was going to the Big 12 in 2009 when he did not use all of the available scholarships? Could there have been an under current of discussion that kept him from going after kids that were of Big East talent levels? I'm in no way giving him an out here, I just want to know. What was happening with the whole transition thing from a very inferior conference(much different talent level) to one of the top conferences in the nation(a far superior talent level), and could that have been a distinctive problem? Stewart had a good team to start out with, he left a team far superior to most of the other Big East schools fro DH, but there was no way we had even a tenth of the talent needed to be successful in the Big 12(oline and dline way to small, limited speed in the secondary, those are the problems I have seen). Enlighten me!

My take? Writing was on the wall that changes were coming and the focus on recruiting was not where it should be. That's not a shot at BS or anyone else, just a by-product of making a coaching move at any program, same for Casteel on his end, again that's just MY opinion.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would reiterate it again...6 line coaches in 8 years............no continuity....losing Bedenbaugh was BIG!!...:nod:

My goodness, I hadn't realized we have had THAT many OL coaching changes, one of the biggest complaints we had in the BE was not having the money to keep good coaches (not just WVU but ALL of us), we most def need to nail some guys down for awhile, good grief, I will have to do dome research but Id be interested in seeing another program with as many OL or any other position coach changes and how they have worked out to date.

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just perplexed as to how such a gap in recruiting could occur in 2009. Unless of course there were backroom discussions within the AD office way prior to our knowledge, and there was a hamstring effect on BS in getting talent. Maybe we will never know, but it just blows my mind when people rip BS apart for something we only assume he did, or didn't do. I knew Bill Stewart, I respected the MAN, but was never real comfortable with him as a national championship type coach. There are coaches just ruthlessly mean and cruel, and then there are those coaches just too nice, Bill Stewart was just too nice, and that didn't sell tickets or inspire the fans. He is gone, God rest his soul, too soon for some of us for whom he touched our lives, off the field of play.