• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It Donned on me at the Game........

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I do not understand the "WVU is not a MAC school we can't wait for a coch to learn" statement...this guy has not even had a losing season yet???....how about some other schools...VATech with Beamer, 3 of his first 4 seasons were losing...Bill Snyder one of the most respected coaches in football had two winning seasons in his first 6. Others on the list....

There is nothing wrong with being patient when you have seen what a coach can do with his guys in place, this offense can work and we have seen it. Hell we have fans wanting this guy gone for the color shirt he wears. What big time head coach is going to want to have to face that kind of lunacy?

DC, I asked a question a few posts back, do you know how uch play calling Dawson is doing?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I do not understand the "WVU is not a MAC school we can't wait for a coch to learn" statement...this guy has not even had a losing season yet???....how about some other schools...VATech with Beamer, 3 of his first 4 seasons were losing...Bill Snyder one of the most respected coaches in football had two winning seasons in his first 6. Others on the list....

There is nothing wrong with being patient when you have seen what a coach can do with his guys in place, this offense can work and we have seen it. Hell we have fans wanting this guy gone for the color shirt he wears. What big time head coach is going to want to have to face that kind of lunacy?
If you do not get that WVU cant afford to have a coach learning on the job............... While there are those coaches you mentioned, there are also the Charlie Weis, the Mark Snyder, the Frank Cignetti, the Glen Mason, etc

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you do not get that WVU cant afford to have a coach learning on the job............... While there are those coaches you mentioned, there are also the Charlie Weis, the Mark Snyder, the Frank Cignetti, the Glen Mason, etc

I am asking why can't WVU afford it.....your example of Cignetti proves that we can afford it and can recover from it.....there is no one proven way of doing things that brings success is more my point.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We already have 3 years invested in Holgs. Who knows what the future will bear. This year is looking to be a lost year. Ford may develop to be really good or crest may come in and be awesome. What is painfully obvious is that we have a vey poor OL and inexperienced QBs. RR or BS never put up 70 on anyone. Holgs has done it twice and if given the chance will do so in the future.

This fan base is spoiled. One bad season and the fan base wants to hang the coach in effigy. Face it, WV does not produce div 1 players. We get the leftovers from sec states and a few from Surrounding states for recruits. Put the coach on the hot seat and then many of those recruits dont want to come.

History repeats itself. Our seniors are the guys who HCBS was able to sign when he was on the hot seat. We wonder why they are bad.

When the entire fan base says the coach suks, it tends to affect recruiting and without the right players every coach suks. Self fufilling prophesy.

Bottom line. We have Holgs for at least the rest of this season and the next. He needs fan support to be successful and to be able to recruit the players he needs. If he is incapable of turning the program around, he will be gone. Until then we should support the school, the players and the coaches.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with the offense is the OLine, it wasn't very good last year but it was experienced and had its moments, when it didn't have its moments we all were witness to Geno looking a lot in ways like Ford did Saturday. Our RB's look good when they get some room but its not often enough and our pass plays don't stand much chance when Ford has people in his face most of the time then (being human.. and green) expects people in his face on the others. Things are rushed, timing and rhythm gets off and... doesn't matter who the coach is things WILL be ugly.
New offensive players, new OL coach, new QB coach, new CB coach, new Safties coach, same clueless ST coach. Guys ,it's gonna take time.

The good news is we have some good looking recruits for the OLine on the horizon (that is a HUGE part of the HC gig btw) and I expect this group will have its moments this year, we will be a bad match up for some teams and things will look ok.

Fire Holgorsen at this point? Wrong move at the wrong time iyam, The buyout is an issue and we are still operating with less money than the other conference schools at this point, try hiring a top notch coach with BigEast money not to mention assistants, OU took full advantage by nabbing our OL coach. I'm giving DH til after the '15 season, that imo with all the changes and moves ect.. is a fair timeframe to ask ourselves if the program is where it needs to be and if its not, then fine with me, make the move, but I believe we will laugh at all this in a year or so.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SPOILED???????!!!!!!! The AD hired this coach saying that WVU would compete for national championships, and within the past ten years we did under other coaches. I have watched this coach for two and a half years, and see nothing that makes me think we will compete for any championship. I agree with you, Gold, that now is not the time, but I say after the 2014 season, if things are not drastically different. The reason a few poor seasons is so damaging today is simple, DC, ESPN. In Cignetti's time, CFB was a regional game, with very little national reporting of any team not named ND. Today ESPN plays every blunder over and over, comments all week on poor performances, and points out every loss. Holgorsen may become a great coach one day, he may be a good coach somewhere else today, but he is not a good fit at WVU.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has there ever been a coach hired at a major program when the AD or coach hasn't said the goal of the hire or of the coach's job is to win a national championship?

Why isn't Dana a good fit for WVU?

His Air Raid offense is used by half of the conference teams. He's shown WVU fans he can restore the defensive mind set they have always loved and been proud of.

He has shown WVU fans he can produce buckets of TD's... so Morgantown can be proud to call itself Touchdown City again.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I see the natives are restless. Maybe it is time to get some war paint and pull out your spears and sharks teeth. The issue with this football team can be summed up in one word--TALENT. The talent to run the air-raid offense is not there. There is no speed at the WR positions, the QB doesn't make the reads or the throws, the RB's aren't exceptionally fast or quick to the hole, the O-Line may be the worst I have ever seen, the defense is improved but still has holes in the armor at times. All told, the machines doesn't have the parts to execute the system. I think it is foolish to criticize the head coach at this point. You all know he can produce a high octane offense--you have seen it. I think criticism must be deflected to recruiting at this point and that may very be a result of going to the Big 12. Did it really help with recruiting? Or did it in fact hurt recruiting because kids in the East knew their parents couldn't travel to Texas every week to see them play? Vice versa for the Texas and Midwest kids. Does that make a little sense or explain the let down? To me it does and we are seeing it now after 2years. Remember, we had a year or two of not knowing what conference or where we would end up, that had to hurt recruiting as well. Interested in hearing other posters thoughts on this theory. Just my take and opinion though.

Slaton, BB--really good to have your opinions and thoughts on this board.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am no recruiting guru... but, I will share my opinion.

I think a change of conference has hurt WVU. Stewart recruited kids to play in the BE. As he called it... it was a black and blue league. WVU excelled because it went for athletic... smaller... speedier players on offense and defense.

WVU's shift to the Big 12 showed what a dramatic difference in style makes with match-ups. As we know, in all of this sport... it is about the match-up. When I saw our tiny CB's on the outside trying to defend large men at WR for our opponents.... I knew it would end badly.

Dana has worked hard to recruit kids for Big 12 play. Unfortunately, there was a huge void in upperclassmen. Hence why Dana went out to get so many JUCO's to fill this.

His recruiting classes have been pretty solid in terms of rated content. I don't think there is any negative in recruiting kids from the area surrounding WVU to play. It is a matter of having coaches who love to recruit.

He added coaches this winter to the staff who love to recruit.

He has done a lot of good things as coach to get this train rolling...

We have to be patient...

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just throwing this out there....when we came into the Big East we went 6-5 and 5-4-2 our first two seasons....were people screaming that Nehlan could not coach anymore? Third year he went 11-1, did he forget to coach those two years or did it take time to adjust...just saying.

Dad I understand your point about ESPN and more coverage but that does not kill programs forever....perfect example is Penn St...they will be back...teams like Texas and USC get bad press every week they will be back. Smaller schools like Ole Miss, Baylor, UNC all have recieved bad press in the past and those programs did not fold.

If DH is the guy or if he isn't we will be fine either way....but we do need to fix one thing and that is fan support of this team...IMO the boo birds from the stands hurt more than any bad press. maybe we are spoiled.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember addressing the boo bird issue on CBS. We also talked a lot on there about WVU's fanbase.

I think a bunch of us old timers know the deal with WVU fans... they are true fair weather... bandwagon fans.

You go back to any period... when WVU is winning... everything is great. The stadium is packed, the town and state buzz.

When things aren't going well... fans quit coming to the games. Fan behavior is atrocious with booing.

WVU fans want to say how great they are. And, it has always made me laugh.

Some have blamed inflated season ticket prices... contributions to MAC... price of a hotdog and coke. But, it has always been this way. I was at WVU from 82-88 going from undergrad through grad. There were a few lean years... go to wvustats.com to see the attendance figures for some games. No issues with ticket prices back then.

Just like I supported Bill Stewart... I have always supported my coach. I will continue to support Dana.

I bought season tickets for the first time since graduating school. I have two for the year, and will be bringing my son to Saturday's game to soak in the atmosphere for the first time this season. I expect to have tears rolling down my face as The Pride of WV plays Simple Gifts.

And, I will stay to the end... no matter what... to cheer on my boys...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true......Rodriguez though a NAIA HC...was never a D-1 HC....

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holgorsen is the first HC WVU has had with no prior experience since... *gulp* Frank Cignetti...

This is not entirely accurate...Though Rich was HC at Glenville State....not sure I would say that counts............

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying the mindset of having aguy with exp come in over a guy with just coordinator exp, but in the unstable world of college football there are no absolutes in the way of success ...look at some of our fellow conf members...Bob Stoops and Bill Snyder were never HC before. Texas Tech just hired the second youngest coach in football 4-0 start. Mike Gundy was never a HC and he was a upset away from playing for the NC also after going 4-7,7-6,7-6 his first three years. All this means nothing just saying it can work.

There are a ton of Examples......add Chip Kelly to that list........Will Muschamp.....Charlie Strong...Bo Pelini....and on and on........

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC, Cignetti was cost by his inexperience. He was a pretty good recruiter and later turned out to be a good head coach. I'm not sure if he ever would have been good on the D1 level, but he does have a couple of D2 championships under his belt now. *shrugs* He did leave Don Nehlen with enough talent to immediately turn the program around. I guess it's just one of things you always wonder about, going from Bowden to Cignetti and then Nehlen.

I think that is a great example of what transition does to a program and what DCW mentioned...you just can't keep turning over HC's....it is not like Pro Football where they have a draft and FA's to fall back to build a team...

An HC in football is a relationship builder...and that takes time....boy how soon we all have forgotten the Orange Bowl spanking!!....:L

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember addressing the boo bird issue on CBS. We also talked a lot on there about WVU's fanbase.

I think a bunch of us old timers know the deal with WVU fans... they are true fair weather... bandwagon fans.

You go back to any period... when WVU is winning... everything is great. The stadium is packed, the town and state buzz.

When things aren't going well... fans quit coming to the games. Fan behavior is atrocious with booing.

WVU fans want to say how great they are. And, it has always made me laugh.

Some have blamed inflated season ticket prices... contributions to MAC... price of a hotdog and coke. But, it has always been this way. I was at WVU from 82-88 going from undergrad through grad. There were a few lean years... go to wvustats.com to see the attendance figures for some games. No issues with ticket prices back then.

Just like I supported Bill Stewart... I have always supported my coach. I will continue to support Dana.

I bought season tickets for the first time since graduating school. I have two for the year, and will be bringing my son to Saturday's game to soak in the atmosphere for the first time this season. I expect to have tears rolling down my face as The Pride of WV plays Simple Gifts.

And, I will stay to the end... no matter what... to cheer on my boys...
:10::agree::clap::suds:

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just throwing this out there....when we came into the Big East we went 6-5 and 5-4-2 our first two seasons....were people screaming that Nehlan could not coach anymore? Third year he went 11-1, did he forget to coach those two years or did it take time to adjust...just saying.

Dad I understand your point about ESPN and more coverage but that does not kill programs forever....perfect example is Penn St...they will be back...teams like Texas and USC get bad press every week they will be back. Smaller schools like Ole Miss, Baylor, UNC all have recieved bad press in the past and those programs did not fold.

If DH is the guy or if he isn't we will be fine either way....but we do need to fix one thing and that is fan support of this team...IMO the boo birds from the stands hurt more than any bad press. maybe we are spoiled.

DCW is right..DAD I know you don't beleive things should be about the money...but it really is about the money...and the ability to sustain and bounce back quickly....this program in the next 2 years exceed 140 million in revenues that puts it in the top 20 programs in the country...it has the ability to compete with any program at the highest level...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SPOILED???????!!!!!!! The AD hired this coach saying that WVU would compete for national championships, and within the past ten years we did under other coaches. I have watched this coach for two and a half years, and see nothing that makes me think we will compete for any championship. I agree with you, Gold, that now is not the time, but I say after the 2014 season, if things are not drastically different. The reason a few poor seasons is so damaging today is simple, DC, ESPN. In Cignetti's time, CFB was a regional game, with very little national reporting of any team not named ND. Today ESPN plays every blunder over and over, comments all week on poor performances, and points out every loss. Holgorsen may become a great coach one day, he may be a good coach somewhere else today, but he is not a good fit at WVU.

:lame: Really DAD??...you haven't seen anything??...... 2012 Orange Bowl.. Wv70 Clemson 33

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BBW..read that article you pinned on Facebook from Couch Fire Sports......that is a home run....couldn't be more spot on!

jgb

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am on WVUDAD's ignore list, BUT ask him the last game he went to. His mouth is big for a fan that hasen't been to a game in a few years. But he has time to take his son hunting. His mouth and Opinions Suck most the time. He isn't a true fan. He is a fair weather fan just like BB was talking about. Of course that is just my opinion LOL:suds: