• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is this team better now than at the end of last season?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the beginnings of this question on sports radio yesterday but had to get into work and did not hear any fan input.
Again, on my way to work but I want to know your thoughts. Are we better now than at the end of last year?
I wish to remove last year's injuries from the discussion and assume last year's team was healthy.
Roster wise, are we better?
Of course, all parties are encouraged to post thoughts whether you drink the kool aid or not.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB - Yes, Russell is healthy, so we're better
RB - Yes, Lacy + Rawls + Procise is better than our top 3 were at any point last season
WR - Wash with Lockett's injury vs competition for Kearse's spot
OL - I have to think yes, but who knows?
DL - Yes, we're deeper than we were last year
LB - I'll be conservative and call this one a wash.
DB - Better than we were at the start of last season, no (not much worse, but a little bit worse), better than at the end of last season? Heck yes.
K - A little worse
P - A little worse (Ryan's another year older, and he's trending downwards)
KR/PR - Depends on Lockett's health, Call this a no for now

Overall? Yes we're better now. Better depth at many spots (DL, DB, OL, RB, WR, maybe LB), Russell is healthy, and Thomas should be healthy for the season.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think you can ignore the injury aspect when answering this question. It (the injuries) was a big part of what this team was and what it went through last year. Our entire offensive game was turned on its ear in the very first game with the high ankle injury to RW, and then more or less for the remainder of the season a couple weeks later with the knee. He was close to 100% by the end, but he was so limited early on and for so long that it kept the offense's development in a retarded state.

Injuries also prevented most of last season's rookie class from making the impact many thought it would or could following the draft. It was a pretty highly touted crop for the Hawks, but Ifedi had an injury early on that delayed his debut and probably stunted his development, Prosise only played a few games, same with Quinton Jefferson, and Nick Vannett missed a lot as well. Jarran Reed was pretty much the only guy who was able to do contribute; it was a red shirt type year for most of these guys.

Lockett and ET both broke their legs. Kam missed 4 games. Shead tore his ACL. Bennett missed games. Rawls more or less didn't have a season due to various injuries.

So yeah, I definitely think this team should be able to put it together on the field better than last year's. We will inevitably be hit with some injuries again, as all teams are, but I can't think it will be as devastating as it was last year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think this year squad is better in theory. The young guys on the OL now have some experience and the second year on the field is where OL make the biggest jump. Definitely like the additions made in FA much more then last year, it's not even close in this regard. RB corp is better, WR corp in better shape, DL should be better. On the con side LBs probably weaker and the secondary also......unless some rookies open some eyes.
So think the total sum is greater then last year.
Go Hawks!:nod:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
better depth if anything right now which would allow them to better cover up injuries that last years team couldn't, Anything else is just opinions. Fingers crossed.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points. When I asked that injuries not be factored into the equation, I was looking at no ET, Rawls, Procise, ect missing from the team so it would be too easy to say yes, this year's group is better than last year's cuz those guys are now back.
QB, same...yes, RW should be healthier than last year but I expect him to be about as good as he has been.
RB, better because I think Lacy will add to this group
OL, the big question again but I say it will be improved. Another year's experience for Britt, Glow, Fant, and Ifedi, plus the losses of Webb and Sowell in exchange for adding Joeckel and Pocic should be an improvement of some sort.
WR at least as good as last year's as long as Lockett comes back to form and Darboh looks exciting.
TE same
DL, I expect an improvement because of McDowell takes McDaniels spot
LB, same
CB improved due to depth and it is possible Griffin takes and keeps Shead's job once Shead is back healthy.
SS/FS Improved by hopefully better/younger depth.
K most likely a drop back but Haush had a rough season compared to his usual results.
P As mentioned earlier Ryan is another yer older but still a stud
LS ?

Go Hawks

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much better then last year. Last season was a typhoon on roids and still got to the second round of the playoffs. This year mostly everybody comes back healthy, the o-line has more experience and have added much needed depth through the draft. This team can and will make another run to the Super Bowl.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points. When I asked that injuries not be factored into the equation, I was looking at no ET, Rawls, Procise, ect missing from the team so it would be too easy to say yes, this year's group is better than last year's cuz those guys are now back.
QB, same...yes, RW should be healthier than last year but I expect him to be about as good as he has been.
RB, better because I think Lacy will add to this group
OL, the big question again but I say it will be improved. Another year's experience for Britt, Glow, Fant, and Ifedi, plus the losses of Webb and Sowell in exchange for adding Joeckel and Pocic should be an improvement of some sort.
WR at least as good as last year's as long as Lockett comes back to form and Darboh looks exciting.
TE same
DL, I expect an improvement because of McDowell takes McDaniels spot
LB, same
CB improved due to depth and it is possible Griffin takes and keeps Shead's job once Shead is back healthy.
SS/FS Improved by hopefully better/younger depth.
K most likely a drop back but Haush had a rough season compared to his usual results.
P As mentioned earlier Ryan is another yer older but still a stud
LS ?

Go Hawks

Seems most couldn't take your "take injuries out of it " rule. I tried to keep injuries out of my reply but i had to include it because of the now added depth. This team is deeper on both lines ( better? no clue yet ) The RB group is deeper ( better? again no clue ) WR are Deeper ( better? no clue ) Defensive backfield Deeper with out a doubt ( better? yes in my eyes ) The addition of Bradley McDougald helps a ton.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't take injuries out of it because last year's team had them and they effected death and this year's team will have them also.

The a big part of every SB run is avoiding injuries in key spots and having the depth to cover them when they do happen.

QB: Depth is irrelevant. We live and die based on Russ. The OL progress and blocking ability at the backfield positions are more key to success at QB then depth but with the arrest problems of Boykin and Heaps, who lost out to Boykin last year, as the possible next man up if Boykin is cut, I would have to say we might be slightly worse off to even.

Running backs: Would have to say better. Lacy is an extra proven body to hedge against injury.

WR: Hard to say. Seems about the same as last year.

TE: With Graham a full season past major injury , Willson back, and Barnett with more experience I would have to say better.

OL: Where to start? I would think that they can only improve both in quality and quantity.

DL: With the extra youth infusion I would think we should have better depth.

LB: Seems about the same but it could change depending on position shifts.

CB and Safeties: Due to injury status, it currently looks worse. If/when Shead and especially Thomas are back 100% it will be better but until then, worse.

ST: Kicking game is a wash to slightly worse. Coverage and return units could be better with the youth but it is currently an unknown.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear the only reason I thought injuries should be out of the topic at hand is that this year's team would automatically be a vast improvement over last year's team because of last year's injuries to ET, Lockett, Rawls, Procise.
I had wanted to compare roster quality `16 v `17 and I did a poor job of conveying that.
I still like this year's expectation vs last year's results.
Plus the schedule is better. 12-4 is a realistic possibility even though we have a strong chance at starting out 0-1.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the con side LBs probably weaker and the secondary also......unless some rookies open some eyes.
Just curious, why do you say the secondary is weaker? McCray and Terrell are gone, but they signed McDougald. Not having Shead at the beginning of the year will definitely hurt, if that's your angle.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, why do you say the secondary is weaker? McCray and Terrell are gone, but they signed McDougald. Not having Shead at the beginning of the year will definitely hurt, if that's your angle.
Yes Shead will miss games, forcing Lane from slot CB to outside CB and McDoudald is a safety but may get used as a slot CB? IDK, doesn't seem ideal.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Shead will miss games, forcing Lane from slot CB to outside CB and McDoudald is a safety but may get used as a slot CB? IDK, doesn't seem ideal.

Also Thomas trying to recover from a very serious injury, doesn't bode well for a great season from him either. I'm a little worried about the secondary, but Pete and John have found answers for the secondary in some unusual ways in the past, so I'm not going to worry about it, just yet.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one of the rookies who played safety in college is probably more likely to get a look at CB/nickel than McDougald, but who knows. McDougald seems to have a pretty good reputation, but I don't know much about his game. Immediately after the draft, PC indicated that Michael Tyson was going to be the one to switch to CB, but yesterday I heard Clayton saying it was going to be Hill. 4 rookie DBs though, so I think it's a decent bet at least 1 has a greater than expected impact early on.

Also Thomas trying to recover from a very serious injury, doesn't bode well for a great season from him either. I'm a little worried about the secondary, but Pete and John have found answers for the secondary in some unusual ways in the past, so I'm not going to worry about it, just yet.
I don't think ET's injury was all that bad as far as leg breaks go. It was only 1 of the 2 bones in the lower leg, and it didn't even require surgery. Much easier coming back from this vs something like a ligament or tendon.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think ET's injury was all that bad as far as leg breaks go. It was only 1 of the 2 bones in the lower leg, and it didn't even require surgery. Much easier coming back from this vs something like a ligament or tendon.

Hope your right, whenever you hear players talk about retiring though, it's concerning.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope your right, whenever you hear players talk about retiring though, it's concerning.
Nothing more than an emotional pop-off remark that was soon recanted.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You would hope but didn't Carroll Say Lockett was farther along in his recovery than Thomas or was that flip flopped? Lockett broke both bones and had to have surgery. Maybe that was flipped and i got it backwards.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would hope but didn't Carroll Say Lockett was farther along in his recovery than Thomas or was that flip flopped? Lockett broke both bones and had to have surgery. Maybe that was flipped and i got it backwards.

I thought I read both are ahead of schedule and will be ready to go week 1. Shead, not so much.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so is Lockett just quick or fast? I ask this because his 40 yard time is only 0.04 faster than Darboh's. thats less than a step after 40 yards more like 10-16 inches. So is Darboh striding and reeling in Lockett at the end of the 40 or are they stride for stride? I feel Darboh is striding and is reeling him in.

I never thought of Lockett as a burner more of a guy that can get to his top speed quickly from a standing stop and someone that can cut and stay at full speed. 4.41 is not blazing fast ( Locketts 40 ). i Hope Darboh Pans out and steals Kearse's spot from him. I just feel Baldwin 4.48, Richardson 4.40, Lockett 4.41 and Darboh 4.45 would be awesome to see on the field. How many teams have 4 CB/S that can all run better than 4.48? let alone 3 that run faster than 4.45 lol. excited to see how the wr's group plays this coming season when Lockett is 100% healthy, Richardson getting more PT and the development of Darboh.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so is Lockett just quick or fast? I ask this because his 40 yard time is only 0.04 faster than Darboh's. thats less than a step after 40 yards more like 10-16 inches. So is Darboh striding and reeling in Lockett at the end of the 40 or are they stride for stride? I feel Darboh is striding and is reeling him in.

I never thought of Lockett as a burner more of a guy that can get to his top speed quickly from a standing stop and someone that can cut and stay at full speed. 4.41 is not blazing fast ( Locketts 40 ). i Hope Darboh Pans out and steals Kearse's spot from him. I just feel Baldwin 4.48, Richardson 4.40, Lockett 4.41 and Darboh 4.45 would be awesome to see on the field. How many teams have 4 CB/S that can all run better than 4.48? let alone 3 that run faster than 4.45 lol. excited to see how the wr's group plays this coming season when Lockett is 100% healthy, Richardson getting more PT and the development of Darboh.
Richardson has the best top end of the WR group. Lockett does get off the line very fast, and I think the play that best shows his speed is the end-around vs Carolina last year. Baldwin is definitely a quick but not really fast type guy, and I'm surprised even at a 4.48 time for him. I guess Darboh ran really well at the combine, but I am not familiar enough of him to know how that translates to his game. We've all seen guys who time well but don't really have it on the field, and v/v.