• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is there an issue with our farm system development structure for power hitters?

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just something I was thinking about.....but I feel like there might be some flaw in the development structure for our power hitters, especially at the lower levels. It seems like every power hitter that comes up and is coming up through our system have issues with their strikeout rates....take a look at guys like Chris Davis when he came up through our system, Mike Olt, Joey Gallo, Lewis Brinson, Nick Williams, Jorge Alfaro, and Nomar Mazara. Now I know a lot of these guys are still young and have a lot of development to go and probably even had strikeout issues before they even came to Texas, but when you look at Chris Davis, he had a huge strikeout problem then when he goes to Baltimore it had improved little by little and now he is batting over .300 to go with his power. Then looking at Mike Olt, when we signed Manny Ramirez, he wasnt even on the team for a week and it was stated that he saw a flaw in Olt's swing. I know Manny is a professional hitter and he is more than knowledgable to see a flaw like that, but where have our hitting instructors been to point something like that out? Now maybe it might just be coincidences and I am obviously no hitting instructor, but to me it just gives off an impression that they might be a flaw in our development structure somewhere in our system that is not developing our power hitters properly and catching their flaws as a hitter whether thats patience at the plate or a mechanical error.......again, this is just something i was thinking about and would like to hear others' opinion on it.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Olt was drafted with knowledge he would be a big whiff guy, its not a developmental problem, that's Mike Olt, Chris Davis still strikes out A LOT

Its not developmental its drafting/signing guys with knowledge they have holes in their swing, not creating them

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess another problem might be we trade away these prospects before they hit their stride. I guess every organization has that choice. Either wait for the chickens to hatch (like the Astros) or sell the eggs for success today and filled stands. It seems few organizations can balance the two. The Cardinals come to mind as such a team that can balance and the Rangers seemed to be such a team. I think the Rangers found out that some of the eggs they were sitting on were not so good to begin with.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess another problem might be we trade away these prospects before they hit their stride. I guess every organization has that choice. Either wait for the chickens to hatch (like the Astros) or sell the eggs for success today and filled stands. It seems few organizations can balance the two. The Cardinals come to mind as such a team that can balance and the Rangers seemed to be such a team. I think the Rangers found out that some of the eggs they were sitting on were not so good to begin with.

This, we developed hitters better when we weren't trading prospects but instead gathering them. Then the young guys had a chance to work slowly through the system. Now we are trading them as soon as they turn 22

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd add him in a heartbeat depending on the asking price. Likely not much as anyone we trade couldn't be on the 40 man.
Meant to post this in the trade deadline thread. Oops.