• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is there a consensus #1 pick for 2018?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bell stays in PIT, then its easily him.

I have my doubts about Gurley. The guy completely disappeared in 2016 and burned a lot of people who drafted him #1 overall. A year later they bring in Sullivan & Whitworth to shore up their o-line and it proved to be a huge upgrade. But how much longer can you really depend on aged vets? LT Whitworth is 36 & C Sullivan is 32 (and a UFA). O-lineman take arguably the most damage to their body throughout their careers, and the decline comes fast. 2015 draft picks RG Brown (24) & RT Havenstein (25) have made a lot of progress since being drafted so there is hope.

DJ... I have a hard time trusting anyone coming off knee injuries. A top 3 overall pick has to be a "sure thing" and he certainly isn't one right now. I'd rather draft Antonio Brown.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have my doubts about Gurley. The guy completely disappeared in 2016 and burned a lot of people who drafted him #1 overall. A year later they bring in Sullivan & Whitworth to shore up their o-line and it proved to be a huge upgrade. But how much longer can you really depend on aged vets? LT Whitworth is 36 & C Sullivan is 32 (and a UFA). O-lineman take arguably the most damage to their body throughout their careers, and the decline comes fast. 2015 draft picks RG Brown (24) & RT Havenstein (25) have made a lot of progress since being drafted so there is hope.

DJ... I have a hard time trusting anyone coming off knee injuries. A top 3 overall pick has to be a "sure thing" and he certainly isn't one right now. I'd rather draft Antonio Brown.
but, DJ didn't have a knee injury, he broke his wrist. As a person whose broken both his wrists, one of which much more severely than DJ's, I have zero concerns that he'll have lost anything due to injury..not even strength or grip. 12 months, without any reported nerve damage, is more than enough time to get full range of motion and back to normal strength in the hand and forearm.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but, DJ didn't have a knee injury, he broke his wrist. As a person whose broken both his wrists, one of which much more severely than DJ's, I have zero concerns that he'll have lost anything due to injury..not even strength or grip. 12 months, without any reported nerve damage, is more than enough time to get full range of motion and back to normal strength in the hand and forearm.
The team around dk is a huge concern

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team around dk is a huge concern
Meh, concern, yes, huge concern? Depends on the QB, and if he's at least good enough to present a realistic threat or not. If they get Cousins, or even snake Foles or McCarron, I wouldn't have any issues taking him #1 . beyond that? Who knows. Regardless, his knee, or any other previous injury isn't the issue

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, concern, yes, huge concern? Depends on the QB, and if he's at least good enough to present a realistic threat or not. If they get Cousins, or even snake Foles or McCarron, I wouldn't have any issues taking him #1 . beyond that? Who knows. Regardless, his knee, or any other previous injury isn't the issue
no its not, its the talent around him, they need a qb, and their receivers are lacking........and tight end........fitz is declining and the rest are showing to be kinda poor............that they can just focus on him, the work is there, the talent is there.

Gimme gurley, bell, for sure over him, i can probably name a few more

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no its not, its the talent around him, they need a qb, and their receivers are lacking........and tight end........fitz is declining and the rest are showing to be kinda poor............that they can just focus on him, the work is there, the talent is there.

Gimme gurley, bell, for sure over him, i can probably name a few more
We've got differing opinions on the quality around him outside if the QB. TE is an easy fix, but agreed, they're lacking.

But, from the other POV..basically the same crew they had around him last year, minus Palmer, no one had major issues choosing him over Bell then. The key is the QB

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've got differing opinions on the quality around him outside if the QB. TE is an easy fix, but agreed, they're lacking.

But, from the other POV..basically the same crew they had around him last year, minus Palmer, no one had major issues choosing him over Bell then. The key is the QB
well let me say this if its not cousins, or somehow brees, or a very healthy bradford, then its a big downgrade

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still like EE better.
Think he comes back with a chip on his shoulder.

Steelers lost OC Todd Haley.
Personally think this was a terrible knee-jerk reaction after losing to the Jags.
(Haley did get them 40+ points against the Jags #2 D in points allowed.)
As much as the new OC Fichtner inherits a very talented team, he hasn't called a play in 12 years.
That didn't work out too well when the same type of inexperienced OC change affected the Falcons.

If Bell goes to another team, he's out of my top 5.
I know he gets praise for his patience as he waits for holes to open up behind the O-line.
But if he does that on another team, he'll be looking at negative yards.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still like EE better.

Personally think this was a terrible knee-jerk reaction after losing to the Jags.
As much as the new OC Fichtner inherits a very talented team, he hasn't called a play in 12 years.
That didn't work out too well when the same type of inexperienced OC change affected the Falcons.

I know he gets praise for his patience as he waits for holes to open up behind the O-line.
yes my bell love requires him staying put

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well let me say this if its not cousins, or somehow brees, or a very healthy bradford, then its a big downgrade
would feel better with McArron, Bridgewater or even Keenum or worst case, McCown over Bradford..could give Bradford the six million dollar man treatment and I wouldn't trust him.

As it pertains to RB value, I don't need the QB to be some stud, in fact, I'd prefer he isn't. I just want them competent enough to be a viable threat. I.E., Andy Dalton or better. I feel there's more than enough of those that will be available that it won't be too hard to fix.

Last edited:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would feel better with McArron, Bridgewater or even Keenum or worst case, McCown over Bradford..city yld give Bradford the six million dollar man treatment and I wouldn't trust him
ehhhhhh bradford yes, mccown if he recaptures his magic

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow I’m not sure how I didn’t remember that considering he was my draft pick in 2 leagues. Not sure where my train of thought on the knee came from?

Well then DJ is definitely top 5 without a doubt.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still like EE better.

For an offense that underachieved most of the year the step away from Haley was a necessary change. The amount of talent they had on the field overcame his shortcomings as an OC. Not saying Haley is terrible since I think you could do a lot worse than him, but his situational coaching was a glaring downfall. Fichtner has been the QB coach with Ben since 2010 or 2011. He knows Ben’s strengths better than anyone, and he has a history of no-huddle offenses (something this offense has always performed better doing). To many of us in Steelers Nation this is essentially a move to put the keys of the offense in Ben’s pocket. Why else is Ben suddenly on-board for 2-3 more seasons instead of mulling retirement again? Fichtner’s playcalling may need a few games to find a groove, but giving the power of the offense to Ben is the smartest move they could have made to get this offense over the hump. But in order for the no-huddle to work it will need the running game to be efficient. Bell is a huge piece to that puzzle. IMO he’s going to have a huge year if he stays.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bell is a huge piece to that puzzle. IMO he’s going to have a huge year if he stays.
The guy already averages a whopping 130 yards a game (rush + rcvg) over the last 3 seasons (best among RB).
Can't imagine him having more success than that.
Although, he is usually a little light in the TD dept compared to other RB.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They didn't just upgrade the offensive line though.

They rid themselves of a completely inept offensive head coach and replaced him with an offensive genius.

Yes, the Oline upgrade was nice, but McVeigh was the biggest reason behind the breakout seasons for Gurley and Goff. Gurley is one of a very small number of every down backs and his growth in the passing game is what makes him truly elite. He has less risk than any of Bell, Zeke or DJ, IMO.

I have number 1 pick locked in my PPR keeper league, and barring injury, I will be taking Gurley to pair with Kamara and CARSON as late rounders. Going to be real tough to beat that.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think how good the quarterback is makes a bigger difference for running backs that are just runners. As long as they still use DJ in the passing game I think he will be fine regardless of quarterback. In fact it might even be better because bad quarterbacks tend to dump the ball off to running backs a lot more often. Look at Green Bay, their running backs were averaging about 6 catches a game with Hundley at quarterback, but Rodgers just doesn't like dumping the ball off because he always thinks he's good enough to get it to one of his receivers. The offensive line is going to be the biggest factor in how he does, but like I said, if he catches 70-75 balls then that will offset teams stacking the box against them.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think how good the quarterback is makes a bigger difference for running backs that are just runners. As long as they still use DJ in the passing game I think he will be fine regardless of quarterback. In fact it might even be better because bad quarterbacks tend to dump the ball off to running backs a lot more often. Look at Green Bay, their running backs were averaging about 6 catches a game with Hundley at quarterback, but Rodgers just doesn't like dumping the ball off because he always thinks he's good enough to get it to one of his receivers. The offensive line is going to be the biggest factor in how he does, but like I said, if he catches 70-75 balls then that will offset teams stacking the box against them.
Yup..that's why I'd still be very high on him with just a competent QB. I doubt I'd go so far as to say a "bad" QB...they seem to have problems sustaining drives, leading to less touches overall, and severely impacting scoring opportunities, but overall, same point.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't just upgrade the offensive line though.

They rid themselves of a completely inept offensive head coach and replaced him with an offensive genius.

Yes, the Oline upgrade was nice, but McVeigh was the biggest reason behind the breakout seasons for Gurley and Goff. Gurley is one of a very small number of every down backs and his growth in the passing game is what makes him truly elite. He has less risk than any of Bell, Zeke or DJ, IMO.

I have number 1 pick locked in my PPR keeper league, and barring injury, I will be taking Gurley to pair with Kamara and CARSON as late rounders. Going to be real tough to beat that.
Not disagreeing. Gurley is a top 3 pick without a doubt. I just think Bell is the better choice (if he stays in PIT). And that is not the homer in me talking.