• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

is the PC/Mac CD-rom game dead?

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eventually consoles will be a thing of the past. Laptops are basically in every home, Apple is dying in their actual power computer market (desktop/non mobile-laptop), and PCs are becoming cheaper/more affordable. EVERYONE knows how to use a keyboard now from the age of 5+ it seems. Consoles can't compete with that... PCs are also easier to build than Lego Sets (you just have more $$$ invested). Only reason Dell/etc. is around is Corporations. Dell PERSONAL computers? Ha, it's a PC outsourced market, that's all.

Typing is MUCH faster than some stupid analog stick and basically the entire new generation of crotch trophies are learning keyboard/mouse from a VERY early age. When it comes to gaming, that is BAR none (outside of neural/VR possibly) the fastest input possible. Faster inputs = more competitive = F off consoles. The only reason games exclusively console aren't on PCs is because of contracts... the inputs are easy to map and PC controllers are basically identical to PS4/XONE.

The ONLY thing keeping consoles remotely in the market is cost. $400-500 is cheaper than a $1,200 gaming computer, partly because the video cards to out-do PS/XBOX are about $350 or so. That said, it seems like parents are perfectly willing to shell out $1,000 for stupid ass phones these days, so it's not that far off from shelling out a fuck ton for a video card.

IMO video cards will replace consoles. Your birthday/Christmas gift 'console' will be a video card. I've already got stock in NVidia... I've enjoyed watching it continually go up.

That bump in NVidia may have a lot to do with bitcoin mining. The miners have sent video card prices to the moon.

Recent data suggests that GPU supply might be stabilizing and prices falling

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in your lifetime.

Given that an average cell phone has more computing power than the mainframes that put the first men on the moon, I'd slow your roll a bit with that prediction.

Pats ain't a spring chicken, but people are living into their 90's no sweat.

Molar based CPU, retina installed virtual displays. Not really even sci-fi now, more just a matter of time.

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
146449.6580cfea03e73de94577078e7aabe912.d5edaa93cc63a3129f56f88486502f5c.1600.jpg

Gaming Pron ^

Thecautiousone's Completed Build - Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2-Way SLI) - PCPartPicker

System Builder - Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2-Way SLI) - PCPartPicker

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the consoles are already just weak enslaved pc's, they run an AMD cpu/gpu & sport hd's & usb...and lock the user into wacked OS's. Why blow $500 on a weak pc with no freedom to run code on the cpu.
I don't game on a computer because my friends don't. If they were all on PC I would be too. I know my XBOX doesn't hold a candle to a legit gaming rig but playing on a badass computer isn't as fun without people I enjoy playing with.

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, from what I've seen on Twitch TV, PC (and Steam) definitely seem to be the Streamers' option of choice.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the consoles are already just weak enslaved pc's, they run an AMD cpu/gpu & sport hd's & usb...and lock the user into wacked OS's. Why blow $500 on a weak pc with no freedom to run code on the cpu.

Seriouslyl? When kids/teens/young adults have their friends over to play video games, is each friend going to bring over their PC to setup so they can all play at once?

Not to mention, you think the average person is going to research specs to figure out (and potentially assemble) the best gaming PC/equipment for them?

fciton-1-420x220.png

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriouslyl? When kids/teens/young adults have their friends over to play video games, is each friend going to bring over their PC to setup so they can all play at once?

Not to mention, you think the average person is going to research specs to figure out (and potentially assemble) the best gaming PC/equipment for them?

fciton-1-420x220.png
Derp....

Know what a Lan party Is?

Lol @ "researching specs" to buy a prebuilt acer asus dell msi gaming pc?

Got
Some
More
derp
i
can
laugh
at?

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derp....

Know what a Lan party Is?

Lol @ "researching specs" to buy a prebuilt acer asus dell msi gaming pc?

Got
Some
More
derp
i
can
laugh
at?

LOL...what % of kids partake in LAN parties - less than 2-3%? Quit acting like this is the norm, because it's not and you're delusioinal for thinking it's common.

Considering you also think e-sports is going to overtake physical sports :crazy:, you're in a fantasy world...remind me how/why casual and non-gamers are going to gravitate to e-sports like they do with physical sports...Yea, I'm sure the casual/non-gamer is going to watch a Counterstrike tournament like they would watch the Superbowl.

Last edited:

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...what % of kids partake in LAN parties - less than 2-3%? Quit acting like this is the norm, because it's not and you're delusioinal for thinking it's common.

Considering you also think e-sports is going to overtake physical sports :crazy:, you're in a fantasy world...remind me how/why casual and non-gamers are going to gravitate to e-sports like they do with physical sports...Yea, I'm sure the casual/non-gamer is going to watch a Counterstrike tournament like they would watch the Superbowl.
Derp... tomorrow will be different from today. 20 Yrs Ago the idea that a video game Tournament could fill an arena for consecutive days, was fantasy, Its Not fantasy anymore. Lan parties arent needed like they were in the Late 90's... due to broadband. Same with kids going to other kids House to play together... thats dying too...

So what do you think will halt the growth Of video gaming? Millions are tuning in everyday to watch gaming through twitch and youtube... the biggest Channels on youtube are video game channels. Video gaming as a career is getting bigger everyday. Video games are big fucking business and not just in the US. Its going to take A culture here shift to even slow down video gaming growth.

Video gaming
Is already
Bigger
Than
Nfl MLb nba and nhl

Combined.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derp... tomorrow will be different from today. 20 Yrs Ago the idea that a video game Tournament could fill an arena for consecutive days, was fantasy, Its Not fantasy anymore. Lan parties arent needed like they were in the Late 90's... due to broadband. Same with kids going to other kids House to play together... thats dying too...

So what do you think will halt the growth Of video gaming? Millions are tuning in everyday to watch gaming through twitch and youtube... the biggest Channels on youtube are video game channels. Video gaming as a career is getting bigger everyday. Video games are big fucking business and not just in the US. Its going to take A culture here shift to even slow down video gaming growth.

Video gaming
Is already
Bigger
Than
Nfl MLb nba and nhl

Combined.

You're still not answering the question.... How is e-sports going to attract the casual and non-fan?

Not to mention, older people aren't likely to play nor have an interest video games, so why would they watch a Counterstrike tournament for example? Is your average 50+ year old going to watch e-sports like they do football or baseball or soccer?

If you can't answer those two questions, then you'd know why you're wrong...

And not a large % of people playing video games are watching e-sports, so you can't use video games stats to compare to physical sports (poor logic on your end). E-sports is currently less than a billion dollar industry, whereas the NHL by comparison is a $4 billion business.

Last edited:

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're still not answering the question.... How is e-sports going to attract the casual and non-fan?

Not to mention, older people aren't likely to play nor have an interest video games, so why would they watch a Counterstrike tournament for example? Is your average 50+ year old going to watch e-sports like they do football or baseball or soccer?

If you can't answer those two questions, then you'd know why you're wrong...

And not a large % of people playing video games are watching e-sports, so you can't use video games stats to compare to physical sports (poor logic on your end).

Derp....

Do you think Im talking about Esports taking over next week? you do dont you? Hilarious.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derp....

Do you think Im talking about Esports taking over next week? you do dont you? Hilarious.

You're still not answering the questions...

How is e-sports EVER going to capture the casual or non fan? There's not an unlimited supply of hardcore gamers out there, so at some point they'll need to capture the non hardcore fans to keep growing. Casual/non fans aren't going to go to video game tournaments as a social event or host clients there or buy merchandise cause it's their hometown e-sports team like they do for physical sports.

You're failing to see that obvious problem, and that's why they won't overtake physical sports.

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're still not answering the questions...

How is e-sports EVER going to capture the casual or non fan? There's not an unlimited supply of hardcore gamers out there, so at some point they'll need to capture the non hardcore fans to keep growing. Casual/non fans aren't going to go to video game tournaments as a social event or host clients there or buy merchandise cause it's their hometown e-sports team like they do for physical sports.

You're failing to see that obvious problem, and that's why they won't overtake physical sports.
Derp... the Same way anyother activity draws casual fans, the Desire To be included or Involved with "everyone" else.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Derps

My Commodore 64 will run laps around your AMDs en sech