• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Steph Curry a top 3 PG of all time?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think that those players would have continued to play the same way if they had Steph's perimeter shot?

Probably depends on their coach and that coach's system, but as we've all been agreeing, the game used to be played very differently.

Small/1 Guards used to to be asked to dish the ball to the low-post players for the high percentage shots.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe only Nash.

He had a bit of range and he had the green light to launch.

Like I'm sayin'...guys in the old systems were not being asked to heave it 40 times a game. They were told to get it down to Dikembe, or Shaq, or Hakeem, or Ewing

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't difficult at all.

Curry has better stats on arguably the most talented team of all time. He is a better player at it isn't really debateable. Go ahead and start a poll if you want, but even the Celtic fans who aren't complete homers are taking Curry over Kyrie.

I Asked for stats supporting your claim and Kyrie is a better passer, and you posted a bunch of stats where Curry is better than Kyrie. None of which suggest what you want them to. Kyrie is not a true PG.

Yep, that's laughable.

I posted the numbers because they are nearly identical, and in this day and age the NBA has become position-less basketball. So Curry isn't a "true PG" in the traditional sense and neither is Kyrie, but it is nevertheless my opinion that Kyrie is closer to a PG than Curry.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perception is reality.

For those of us that are dug in on what we " THINK " constitutes being a pg means......nah.

It's like the endless Jordan vs. LeBron vs. Kobe debate....

What constitutes being a " Rookie ".....

You will never get 100 % agreement on the topic.

Fair points. Everyone has their own biases.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, that's laughable.

I posted the numbers because they are nearly identical, and in this day and age the NBA has become position-less basketball. So Curry isn't a "true PG" in the traditional sense and neither is Kyrie, but it is nevertheless my opinion that Kyrie is closer to a PG than Curry.

So the stats are closer, but with Curry averaging more assists. But you believe that Kyrie is more of a PG? Why?

Is Chris Paul a true PG?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 time league MVP. 3 time NBA champ. Arguably the greatest shooter of all time.

Magic is still the king. And Oscar Robertson is probably No. 2. But is there a PG you would put above Steph after that? Nash? Stockton?

Steph is a hybrid 1...plays more like a 2 imo...so my answer is no.

Shooters...yes...I think you have to put him top 2 already but imo he's better than Reggie Miller.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steph is a hybrid 1...plays more like a 2 imo...so my answer is no.

Shooters...yes...I think you have to put him top 2 already but imo he's better than Reggie Miller.

I think all PGs play a hybrid style today as compared to guys like Kidd or Stockton. The game requires it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think all PGs play a hybrid style today as compared to guys like Kidd or Stockton. The game requires it.

My opinion...Not all PGs shoot as much from the perimeter, nor are they relied on to do so. In the GS motion OFC, it's pretty clear they don't need a traditional set up guy.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion...Not all PGs shoot as much from the perimeter, nor are they relied on to do so. In the GS motion OFC, it's pretty clear they don't need a traditional set up guy.

Who would you say is a traditional PG in today's game? Chris Paul? Ricky Rubio? Russell Westbrook? John Wall? Dame Lillard?

If Steph isn't a PG then no one is a PG anymore.

I don't care what offense you put Curry in. He's going to shoot a lot of 3s because arguably the 3 point shooter of all time.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, that's laughable.

Your opinion is laughable.

You said Kyrie is a true PG and a better passer, faciliatator and distributor.

Yet, literally all the stats indicate the opposite.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@tlance

I posted Kyrie vs Curry because they are arguably close to each other in every stat-

For the purpose of this comparison, I’m going to say the most vital aspects of being a point guard are points, assists, and steals. Typically, those are the main things you look to your PG for in a game. Maybe even rebounds depending on who it is (i.e. Westbrook, Jason Kidd, Rondo). But a bigger comparison may be who are their teammates- Durant or James. But that's another argument too:

So let’s compare the career stats of these guys:

Kyrie Irving

21.4 ppg

5.5 apg

1.3 spg

3.4 rpg

Steph Curry

22.7 ppg

6.8 apg

1.8 spg

4.4 rpg

Based on these analytics, it would seem that Curry is the better PG as he has superior stats in all categories. However, not by much. They are basically neck and neck in all these categories and it’s really difficult to say who’s the better all around player. Kyrie, in my opinion, is a much better finisher in transition. Curry, however, is arguably one of the greatest three point shooters of all time and he has teammates who finish. So, again this comparison is very close.

But you are correct that neither is a traditional PG, which is the OP's thread question about Curry.

So, you are saying that because Kyrie's stats are somewhat close to Curry's, that shows he is better PG?

By the way, counting only players who appeared in enough games to qualify, Kyrie Irving was 8th in the NBA in scoring and 27th in assists behind legendary assist men such as Dennis Smith Jr, Lou Williams, DeMarr DeRozan, Kevin Durant and Darren Collison among others.

And you really think Kyrie is a true PG?

Cmon man.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your opinion is laughable.

You said Kyrie is a true PG and a better passer, faciliatator and distributor.

Yet, literally all the stats indicate the opposite.

You said Curry was so much better that it wasn't even close and I proved you wrong, what other evidence do you need?

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you are saying that because Kyrie's stats are somewhat close to Curry's, that shows he is better PG?

By the way, counting only players who appeared in enough games to qualify, Kyrie Irving was 8th in the NBA in scoring and 27th in assists behind legendary assist men such as Dennis Smith Jr, Lou Williams, DeMarr DeRozan, Kevin Durant and Darren Collison among others.

And you really think Kyrie is a true PG?

Cmon man.

In a traditional definition I would say Kyrie is more of a true PG than Curry, yes! But that's not the way the NBA is played now, or did you fail to read what I said?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a traditional definition I would say Kyrie is more of a true PG than Curry, yes! But that's not the way the NBA is played now, or did you fail to read what I said?

And this is wrong.

You are getting hung up on 1 skill. Kyrie is the better ballhandler and better at creating for himself off the dribble. Thing is, he isn't great at creating for teammates. He never has been. That is the real mark for a true PG. And Curry does that better than Kyrie.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You know that Kyrie has averaged more shots per game and less assists per game than Curry right? That's like one of the only "traditional" metrics used and yet Curry is still better. What am I missing?

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know that Kyrie has averaged more shots per game and less assists per game than Curry right? That's like one of the only "traditional" metrics used and yet Curry is still better. What am I missing?

your bias

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL says the Duke fan. Where did Kyrie go to school again?

But you also didn't answer the question.

I love Steph Curry! I watched his Dad growing up, and I have nothing against him or Irving. Me being a Duke fan has nothing to do with my viewpoint, does your fandom have you standing firm with Curry as one of the best three PG's all-time?